2010 Player/Pitcher of the Year

Started by Jim Dixon, April 28, 2010, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeyScots

Agreed...All of these players have great stats, but i believe the deciding factor should be if any of these players can lead their team to the world series

Hot Rod Runnin

Gramps

Quote from: HeyScots on April 29, 2010, 11:47:52 AM
Agreed...All of these players have great stats, but i believe the deciding factor should be if any of these players can lead their team to the world series

If that's true, than why are we talking about best players.  Just wait for the world series and pick out the MVP of the World Series and make him the best player/pitcher of D3.  If stats don't matter, I can think of at least two players that have scored the last run or had the winning hit or started the winning rally that could be considered.
And these are good steady players, just not having a super year.  I think that we should wait until after the season is over, all of the tournaments played and all of the accolades given out.  Than we can better decide an appropriate  candidate. Until than, we're just campaigning for our favorite player from our team, from our conference, from our region, or from our section of the country.

fouriscosmic

Quote from: Gramps on April 29, 2010, 08:23:14 PM
Quote from: HeyScots on April 29, 2010, 11:47:52 AM

If that's true, than why are we talking about best players.  Just wait for the world series and pick out the MVP of the World Series and make him the best player/pitcher of D3.  If stats don't matter, I can think of at least two players that have scored the last run or had the winning hit or started the winning rally that could be considered.
And these are good steady players, just not having a super year.  I think that we should wait until after the season is over, all of the tournaments played and all of the accolades given out.  Than we can better decide an appropriate  candidate. Until than, we're just campaigning for our favorite player from our team, from our conference, from our region, or from our section of the country.

If you believe Billy Bean (Moneyball reference here) there is no such thing as a clutch player.

However, with the wide degree of competition and considerations (like field size, weather etc.) it is nice to see what all these great players can do against great competition.

mr.bigglesworth

So where's the discussion here?  Hopkins' boys are going to be hard to deny!

HIP2HIP

Quote from: mr.bigglesworth on May 16, 2010, 09:26:11 PM
So where's the discussion here?  Hopkins' boys are going to be hard to deny!

hopkins who? o yea the #1 seed...ok so these hopkins boys are pretty impressive lets talk about their stats...hr colmn and slg....wow is all i have to say

pickleshiner

Eric Fritz- UW- Stevens Point, More than likely going to win WIAC player of the year.  Solid SS and great hitter with speed.

bulldozer

Quote from: kirbypuckett on May 16, 2010, 10:46:58 PM
Eric Fritz- UW- Stevens Point, More than likely going to win WIAC player of the year.  Solid SS and great hitter with speed.

Stats just don't stack up....

BoBo

Quote from: bulldozer on May 17, 2010, 02:54:38 AM

Just to clarify, there's also quite a bit of debate on the WIAC board if he's going to be WIAC player of year or not...there's just as many, if not more, who think Jeff Donovan of UWW will be player of the year.
I'VE REACHED THAT AGE
WHERE MY BRAIN GOES
FROM "YOU PROBABLY
SHOULDN'T SAY THAT," TO
"WHAT THE HELL, LET'S SEE
WHAT HAPPENS."

fouriscosmic

What role should Strength of Schedule play in selecting POTY? For instance consider they folloring two players:

Dave Kahn (Hopkins)        .476 BA (69 for 145) 69R 66RBI 16HR  .972 slg% .537 OBP 14-14 SB
Stefan Neece (Greenville) .495 BA (50 for 101) 43R 61RBI 16HR 1.089 slg% .651 OBP  9-11 SB

Neece's numbers are rather impressive (as are Kahn's) with about a .200 higher OPS, however he plays for Greenville (24-11) who is out of the playoffs with a .456 SOS (nearly the lowest in DIII). While Kahn is playoff bound for top slotted Hopkins with a .536 SOS (somewhere near 100 of 350 in DIII). Is it a stretch to correlate SOS to the quality of the pitching faced?

Thoughts?

ILVBB

You look at the entire package. SOS is so deceiving; my take would be to look at contribution to the success of the team. In the example that you gave, Kahn's efforts have helped yield higher results, hence a greater contribution to his team.

You can look at Evan Jones from Trinity; vitually the same numbers as Kahn, again his team is moving on. I would look at contribution to the success of the team more than SOS. SOS has been discussed all over this board and most would conceed that geography can be a major factor in a teams SOS.

I wouldn't like to strech pitching to cover SOS; it has been my observation that good teams see the best pitching in their region. You will see some variances in performance from game to game, you are looking at a seasons worth of success. In my book, unless one is playing in just an awful conference, good players see the full gamit of pitchers.

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: ILVBB on May 17, 2010, 08:24:04 PM
You look at the entire package. SOS is so deceiving; my take would be to look at contribution to the success of the team. In the example that you gave, Kahn's efforts have helped yield higher results, hence a greater contribution to his team.

You can look at Evan Jones from Trinity; vitually the same numbers as Kahn, again his team is moving on. I would look at contribution to the success of the team more than SOS. SOS has been discussed all over this board and most would conceed that geography can be a major factor in a teams SOS.

I wouldn't like to strech pitching to cover SOS; it has been my observation that good teams see the best pitching in their region. You will see some variances in performance from game to game, you are looking at a seasons worth of success. In my book, unless one is playing in just an awful conference, good players see the full gamit of pitchers.

PLEASE lets not use SOS for anymore than what is already used for. I also feel SOS is distorted by Region and Conference a team may be in..While conceptual a good idea SOS just not make it apples to apple comparison nationwide.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

golden_dome

Quote from: fouriscosmic on May 17, 2010, 07:31:27 PM
What role should Strength of Schedule play in selecting POTY? For instance consider they folloring two players:

Dave Kahn (Hopkins)        .476 BA (69 for 145) 69R 66RBI 16HR  .972 slg% .537 OBP 14-14 SB
Stefan Neece (Greenville) .495 BA (50 for 101) 43R 61RBI 16HR 1.089 slg% .651 OBP  9-11 SB

Neece's numbers are rather impressive (as are Kahn's) with about a .200 higher OPS, however he plays for Greenville (24-11) who is out of the playoffs with a .456 SOS (nearly the lowest in DIII). While Kahn is playoff bound for top slotted Hopkins with a .536 SOS (somewhere near 100 of 350 in DIII). Is it a stretch to correlate SOS to the quality of the pitching faced?

Thoughts?

Please no, LOL. I'm trying to eliminate SOS from the vocabulary. Mississippi College (36-9) has played one of the better schedules you'll find with eleven games against 30-game winners among their 45 total, but the #221 SOS rank wouldn't indicate that.

MC senior starting pitcher Tyler Seaman should be a candidate for postseason awards. He's been solid all year with a 10-0 record, and ERA of 3.18. Also 78 K's, 23 BB's, 90 hits in 87 2/3 innings. MC senior outfielder Bo Bell has had another great year with .438 average,   56 runs,  70 hits,  19 doubles,  10 homers and  56 RBI.

cubs

Quote from: BoBo on May 17, 2010, 10:33:22 AM
Quote from: bulldozer on May 17, 2010, 02:54:38 AM

Just to clarify, there's also quite a bit of debate on the WIAC board if he's going to be WIAC player of year or not...there's just as many, if not more, who think Jeff Donovan of UWW will be player of the year.
Fritz was indeed the choice for WIAC Position Player of the Year.....  Looks like Fritz's individual numbers outweighed Donovan's team accomplishments.
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

bulldozer

How about Alex Eliopoulos from Hopkins for Pitcher of the Year?  I saw him throw in Trenton the other day and man was he impressive, and the stats back that up.