FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outside the Crate

As a hardcore Wartburg football fan, I'm normally deeply depressed after a loss -- but not after last week's Central game.  Call me a fool, but coming back from a 42-14 half-time score to tie the game at 49,felt like something of a moral victory.  Few teams could pull that off.  That showed some character.  So, I was okay on the drive home.

Then I heard that some photos suggested that the final play might have been improperly called.  (So, what?)  Unfortunately, while I know the photographer, she felt she had to be "neutral" and take down the photos, which she did.  I didn't see them, but it doesn't make any difference anyway.  (But, I'd sure be curious to see them, 'cause, like Schipper Strong, I'd surely see what I want to see!

Great Wartburg crowd, too.

All things considered, it's been a good fall for Wartburg athletics:  volleyball won the regular season title, women's soccer won the ARC tournament title, men's and women's cross country teams won their ARC titles, women's golf finished second, and football has a good chance to three-peat if they beat Loras this weekend.

Schipper Strong

Congratulations to Wartburg's Noah Doddand Central's Eric Knaack for making the D3 Team of the Week. Both players had an outstanding game on Saturday.

Outside the Crate

Check out the Around the Nation podcast on this website this week.  There's lots of talk about the Central-Wartburg game.  Very interesting!

Schipper Strong

I listened to the podcast this morning. I get why with the huge lead uncharacteristic turnovers why they would say Central choked or collapsed. I guess I was the only one that expected Wartburg to make a run like they did against most of the team's they played and beat this year. Either way I agree it was a great win for Central. It rates up there with Central wins over Ferris State, Evansville, Ithaca, St Thomas, Linfield, Whitworth, and the wins against Whitewater and Augustana in the playoffs with a wide receiver turned 4th string QB. I don't know that Saturday's win was better than any of those, but it was the best big win recently.

Pat Coleman

When you say "they would say" -- just want to point out that "they" was just Keith. I did not characterize it that way. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Schipper Strong

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 13, 2019, 11:02:44 AM
When you say "they would say" -- just want to point out that "they" was just Keith. I did not characterize it that way. :)
You are correct Pat. Sorry about that. Both teams dominated each half equally, exactly equally by points scored by quarter. Central did make it easy for Wartburg though with the costly turnovers.

hazzben

Current Mock Bracket has Central vs. Hope. As a Bethel grad, I'm cheering for a Coe win. If that fails, as a Dutch Reformed kid, I'm all in on this matchup taking place.

Think of all the Saucijsjes (aka Saucijzebroodjes) and split pea soup to warm the bodies, and all the dutch letters/banketstaven, poffertjes, and stroopwafels to satisfy the sweet tooths.

jamtod

Quote from: hazzben on November 14, 2019, 04:30:57 PM
Current Mock Bracket has Central vs. Hope. As a Bethel grad, I'm cheering for a Coe win. If that fails, as a Dutch Reformed kid, I'm all in on this matchup taking place.

Think of all the Saucijsjes (aka Saucijzebroodjes) and split pea soup to warm the bodies, and all the dutch letters/banketstaven, poffertjes, and stroopwafels to satisfy the sweet tooths.

I have trouble believing that we are actually both from Iowa because your Iowa is so very strange and different from my own.

Clearly it's you who is the weirdo though.

Schipper Strong

I would love that pairing. We played them years ago in regular season and it was kind of fun. Ron Schipper, a Hope grad and Central coach helped set it up, but passed away before the games took place.

hazzben

Quote from: jamtod on November 14, 2019, 04:38:43 PM

I have trouble believing that we are actually both from Iowa because your Iowa is so very strange and different from my own.

Clearly it's you who is the weirdo though.

As long as my weirdo status involves plate fulls of the food listed above, I'm just fine with that designation  ;D

Retired Old Rat

As someone raised Roman Catholic I had no clue about the Dutch Reformed Church. So, of course, I googled it.  Interesting:

Immigration from the Netherlands in the mid-19th century led to the expansion of the RCA into the Midwest. In 1837 Pastor Abram D. Wilson and his wife Julia Evertson Wilson from New Jersey established the first Dutch Reformed church west of the Allegany Mountains in Fairview, Illinois.[9] Hope College and Western Theological Seminary were founded in Holland, Michigan, Central College in Pella, Iowa, and Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa. In the 1857 Secession, a group of more conservative members in Michigan led by Gijsbert Haan separated from the RCA. They organized the Christian Reformed Church in North America (CRC), and other churches followed. In 1882 another group of congregations left for the CRC, mirroring developments in the church in the Netherlands.

National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

hazzben

Quote from: Retired Old Rat on November 14, 2019, 05:22:47 PM
As someone raised Roman Catholic I had no clue about the Dutch Reformed Church. So, of course, I googled it.  Interesting:

Immigration from the Netherlands in the mid-19th century led to the expansion of the RCA into the Midwest. In 1837 Pastor Abram D. Wilson and his wife Julia Evertson Wilson from New Jersey established the first Dutch Reformed church west of the Allegany Mountains in Fairview, Illinois.[9] Hope College and Western Theological Seminary were founded in Holland, Michigan, Central College in Pella, Iowa, and Northwestern College in Orange City, Iowa. In the 1857 Secession, a group of more conservative members in Michigan led by Gijsbert Haan separated from the RCA. They organized the Christian Reformed Church in North America (CRC), and other churches followed. In 1882 another group of congregations left for the CRC, mirroring developments in the church in the Netherlands.

Just the tip of the Dutch Mafia iceberg ROR  ;D The first wave of Dutch Reformed settlers were responsible for founding and settling New Amsterdam (aka, NYC), New Jersey, etc. The Roosevelt political families trace back to these early colonizers. We are a small group, with plenty of quirks, but our fingerprints are in a lot of places you wouldn't expect.

doolittledog

To make this conversation weirder.  UD was founded by a German speaking Dutchman.  After finding no reformed churches in the Dubuque area the local presbytery invited him to become Presbyterian.  He did, and then started a Presbyterian seminary for German speakers that eventually became the University of Dubuque.  The northern two layers of counties in Iowa have many Presbyterian churches of german speaking settlers that most likely would have been Reformed churches otherwise. 

All that said, this UD fan will also be a fan of Loras and Coe on Saturday!
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

hazzben

Quote from: doolittledog on November 14, 2019, 06:14:12 PM
To make this conversation weirder.  UD was founded by a German speaking Dutchman.  After finding no reformed churches in the Dubuque area the local presbytery invited him to become Presbyterian.  He did, and then started a Presbyterian seminary for German speakers that eventually became the University of Dubuque.  The northern two layers of counties in Iowa have many Presbyterian churches of german speaking settlers that most likely would have been Reformed churches otherwise. 

All that said, this UD fan will also be a fan of Loras and Coe on Saturday!

Welcome to the bandwagon!

And yeah, there is a ton of commonality between the Reformed and Presbyterian worlds. The former being more dutch and continental in orientation, the latter tending to be Scotch/English. Polity and theology-wise, they are kissing cousins, at least historically speaking.

DBQ1965

As I've heard said around west Michigan ... If you're not Dutch you're not much.  I love the prospects of a Hope - Central matchup ... the Flying Dutch vs. the Dutch.  If Lake Michigan wasn't in the way, I could envision regular games between MIAA teams and IIAC/ARC teams.  If the matchup does come to passin Holland, I will be on the visitors side in a red hat cheering on "my" Conference.
Reality is for those who lack imagination 😀