All-Time Team By Coach

Started by goubears89, February 02, 2008, 06:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

goubears89

A fun exercise for longtime followers of a coach at one program. Here are the rules:

Submit an eight-person all-time team for a coach during his/her tenure at 1 school.
Starting five must include at least two guards and two forwards.

I'll get it started in the next thread with a suggested Pemper-led Bowdoin Polar Bears team.

Let the flamewars begin.
Now a Wildcat
Was a Yellowjacket, briefly a Tartan
First and always a Polar Bear
2004 Bowdoin Women's Hoop -- what a year!

goubears89

Bowdoin Polar Bears under Stef Pemper

Starters:
G Lora Trenkle '04
F Eileen Flaherty '07
F Justine Pouravelis '06
F Kristi Royer '03
G Alison Smith '05

Reserves:
G Jessie Mayol '02
G Katie Cummings '07
F Jill Anelauskas '09
Now a Wildcat
Was a Yellowjacket, briefly a Tartan
First and always a Polar Bear
2004 Bowdoin Women's Hoop -- what a year!

atn alum

Clever idea, and one where I can actually say I saw almost all but 1 of these players, from having webcast nescac finals and ncaa games. I have a feeling you'd get some great posts if you toss that out on the men's boards.

Would be curious to see the Wash U (Fahey) women's version of this...guessing theres also good lists for NYU (Quinn), Southern Maine Fifield), and Scranton (Strong), among others...

mark_reichert

Quote from: atnwriter on February 03, 2008, 12:07:45 AM
Would be curious to see the Wash U (Fahey) women's version of this

Based on some discussion around the end of February 2006 in the UAA area:

Washington University Bears under Nancy Fahey

Starters:

G Sarah Goldman (point)
G Amy Schweizer  (shooting)
F Kelly Manning     (small)
F Tasha Rodgers   (power)
C Alia Fischer

Fahey called Manning the best small forward she ever had, perhaps because she didn't want to compare her to Goldman and Schweizer, and despite being listed as guard and given All-America awards at guard, Manning frequently played like a forward.

Should also mention at point guard, Sarah Schell, who broke Goldman's assist record, but didn't score or steal like Goldman (though Schell did much better at scoring in her senior season than previously).

ronk

Just noticed the topic while searching for placement on another subject. Choosing from among Scranton's 17 All-Americans:

G Deanna Kyle    D3 POY
G Kelly Halpin
F Taryn Mellody  All-decade D3 team
F Jennifer Nish
C Shelley Parks   D3 POY

ronk

And if you read this far: 2nd team All-decade Ashley Marble(S. Maine) made it to the final 8 of tonite's Miss USA pageant; saw her play 2 games in the 2005 Final 4: relentless in the paint, now has started her own business(nutrition,life-style coaching, etc.)

kate

Hi Ronk!  This is a great site - just off the top of my head, and in the 14 or so years we've been following Del Val, i'd like to summit All-American Alisa DiBonaventura, guard, all time DVC scoring leader, Jeanne Waznak, guard, Kim Vennera, guard,  Kristen (Hank) Henry, small forward, and Bridget Golden, center.  Those are few, i'm sure i could come up with a second team if pressed  ;)

kate

Ah, that would be "submit" and all under the Delaware Valley College Coach, Laura Rotz Hogan.  This is, again, a cool site - helps bring back lots of fun memories.

ronk

like atn alum said, Scranton is one with the advantage of 32 Mike Strong years from which to choose.

Flying Dutch Fan

Hope - Coach Brian Morehouse

G - Julie Henderson
G - Bria Ebels - MOP '06 NCAA tourney championship team
F - Philana Green
F - Amanda Kerkstra - 1st team AA '03
C - Carrie Snikkers - POY '10, 1st team AA 09-11
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

mark_reichert

Making a change from the version I posted in 2008 because the newest eligible player just finished her time at Wash U:

Washington University Bears under Nancy Fahey

Starters:

G Amy Schweizer (point)
G Kelly Manning  (shooting)
F Melissa Gilkey     (small)
F Tasha Rodgers   (power)
C Alia Fischer

This team is now the top five scorers in WashU Women's basketball history, and probably the best all-around players.

As for rearranging their place in a conventional lineup, while Fahey called Manning the best small forward she ever had and Manning frequently played like one but she was always given All-America awards as a guard.  She ended up with 225 assists to Schweizer's 213, but I felt more comfortable moving Manning to shooting guard and Schweizer to point.  As for power and small forward: Rodgers is easily the fastest of the five and constantly drove for the basket, whereas Gilkey played the perimeter  more.

I'd put this team up against the best collection of players from any other school in the Division III tournament era.

mark_reichert

Quote from: mark_reichert on April 20, 2015, 08:18:22 PM
I'd put this team up against the best collection of players from any other school in the Division III tournament era.

I forgot to point this out:  Schweizer, Fischer and Rodgers were on the 1997-98 team, which might explain how they broke through despite the obstacles:

http://www.d3hoops.com/archives/women/1998-wbb-title-game-story