MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

fcnews

Thanks Pride! Good example of post season tourney. FU squeaked in the #4 spot and went on the road to beat #1 and #2. For their efforts the Griffins' get Redlands (ranked 5th nationally) in the first round at Wash U.

pantherpride06

You get to play a California team basically in your back yard.  Not a bad draw I'd say.  Good luck FU v. Redlands...

Lookin' forward to basketball getting under way.  Anyone else having a little basketball fever?
Panther Pride

Beaver_SID

Im not surprised in seeing good ole' BC ranked a little low. I think a lot of people are forgetting that we are returning last years Player of the Year and Newcomer of the Year in Zak Allen, as well as a 1st team all-conference player in Zeb Hammond, as well as a third returning starter in Bryan Waters and contributing players in Allen Dehority, Leotis Howard, and Frazier Simmons match up again in a new game scheme. As well as Grant Lamsargis and Ryan Smith contributing in the post. They have obtained a good transfer in Brandon Bundren, as well as a good student body pick-up in Tommy Baro. Also three very promising recruits. The doubt in some may be with the new coach which has come off a couple bad years, He certainly has something to prove.

I also understand that being a BC student my veiws are totally bias, but isnt everyones?

Mac Attack

Beaver_SID: Have the SLIAC men's basketball coaches conducted a pre-season conference poll? I can guarantee you no one is underestimating Blackburn in 2006-2007. Beavers have two of the top players in the conference returning and the team always brings in recruits who can play. Not to mention the tough home court advantage. Like MacMurray, it will take a little while for the players and new coach to get on the same page, but this will happen quickly. Blackburn will be in the post-season tournament hunt going down the stretch, and may very well contend for the regular season conference title. Mac's game at Webster, will be interesting - as will the next game at home with Westminster. Possibly the two SLIAC favorites, along with Eureka, right out of the shoot. If Mac plays as well as it did for 3/4s the game against WIU, the Millikin game on 11/18 should be a dandy. Mac is looking for payback against Monmouth 11/21. And Grinnell is bringing its 100 points per game, and a preseason D3 All American pick (John Grotberg) to Jacksonville on 11/25. Then comes a trip to Lincoln Christian. Highlanders has a chance to start 4-0 if they can stay healthy and execute Coach Hettinga's style of play. Hopes are high for Mac. Best wishes to all other SLIAC teams as the season prepares to tip-off.

Beaver_SID

Mac- The SLIAC coaches have never put together a preseason poll before and I havent heard anything about one this year, so I would have to say no.

fcnews

I hate to disagree with anyone this early, but! The coaches do release a pre season poll and have for as long as I can remember. I beleive the voting was done by email this week and should be released by the commish sometime the first of next week.

It is obvious to me that we have one group of teams that is heads above the rest. Webster, Westminister, Blackburn and Eureka are in the top teir. From there down it is really any bodies guess. I think Maryville, Mac, FU and Greenville are in that next group. They will be competitive and could slip into the post season tourney if one of the top teams faulter.

y_jack_lok

No one -- not even you, fcnews -- is giving Fontbonne enough credit. Perhps a bit of psychology going on?? I think the conference will be very competitive this year, with 7 teams having a shot at the top spot. If championships were determined by opinions the Cardinals would not have won the World Series. I can't wait for play to start and I think we are in for some very exciting games this year and that the conference is slowly but surely becoming stronger to the point that it won't be long before a men's team advances in the NCAA tournament.

y_jack_lok

Another thing. Everyone should e-mail the reporter at the Post-Dispatch who did the write ups on the D3 teams in today's paper. We need to let the PD know that there are SLIAC fans who don't want to see Wash U get as much coverage as our three schools combined

Mac Attack

Just one man's opinion - but I really agree with y_jack_lok. I don't think there's much difference between the top five or six teams - and I really don't believe any four teams are "heads above the rest." Based on returning players, Webster, Westminster, and Eureka appear to be solid. I would put Mac, Blackburn, and FC in the next group, but certainly dangerous and able to win at home or on the road. Mac has a lot to prove after back-to-back 9-16 seasons. Without being too much of an optimist, I think the Highlanders - if they can stay healthy - will be in the hunt from start to finish. But so will five or six other teams. This may be one of the most competitive SLIAC seasons in a long, long time. Teams that can win at home, beat the teams they're supposed to beat on the road, and then steal one or two along the way will be the champ. Beyond that, I believe, nothing is clear cut

And my next stop will be the sport's desk at the Post Dispatch.....

y_jack_lok

For anyone interested, here is the text of my e-mail to the Post-Dispatch writers of the pre-season Saint Louis D3 article:

"Thanks to both of you for giving the area Division III men's and women's basketball teams some pre-season coverage. Has the Post-Dispatch done this in previous years?

"Area basketball fans who are not aware of, or choose not to follow, the Saint Louis Division III teams are missing out on the best free sports competition available to them. I would encourage all basketball fans to check the respective university websites for the schedules of Webster, Fontbonne, Maryville, and Washington Universities and plan to attend games whenever possible. They will not be disappointed.

"I would like to ask both of you why you gave as much coverage to Washington University as you gave to the Webster, Maryville, and Fontbonne combined? In my opinion all four universities deserve equal coverage, not just in your pre-season articles, but throughout the seasons as well. I hope to see more balanced coverage throughout the season."

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Beaver_SID on November 09, 2006, 01:22:37 PM
Mac- The SLIAC coaches have never put together a preseason poll before and I havent heard anything about one this year, so I would have to say no.

Rule of thumb, young grasshopper, never say never. The SLIAC predates you by quite a bit and you may not know everything.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

fcnews

I am in no way down playing the FU squad. I may be the biggest "Homer" on this board. Yes, we return the SLIAC's leading scorer (McCoy) and rebounder (Storandt). But, when your top six players are three freshmen and three sophmores you have to be realistic.
I'm a firm believer in Seniors (Upper classmen) win championships in the SLIAC.

On the P-D subject, FU has spent years trying to work a relationship with the paper. Even have Alumni athletes working for them. It isn't going to happen till something big happens.
FU received great coverage the year the women's team stopped Wash U's historic streak and then made a run to the Elite Eight. They were very nice during Coach's past health battles. Other then that ziltch! Better chance on local TV.

In any size city there has to be a column on local colleges and someone assigned to cover them. Just my opinion.

fcnews

Just a Note !!!!

5:00 pm @ Washington University
NCAA Tournament 1st Round
Fontbonne University vs. Redlands, CA ( 5th Nationally )

This should be a very entertaing game. Coach Brian Hoener became a "Daddy" yesterday morning. His first. A little girl.

Great lead in to the basketball festivities at the DSAC tonite:

One of the Special nights of the year.
Women vs. Faculty then at 9:30 the much ballyhooed Alumni Game. The FU Alumni YMCA team of Brian Grassle, Steve King, John Thomas, Mike Horton, Mike Kaemer..ect., really think they have a chance. Slam Dunk Contest will be loud. Plus maybe a 3 pt. matchup between Branch or McCoy vs. Brian Grassle.

Beaver_SID

"Rule of thumb, young grasshopper, never say never. The SLIAC predates you by quite a bit and you may not know everything."

Let me clarify my statement,
Yes, I know that I dont know everything, and my intention was not on the relativly short 16 year history of SLIAC basketball. I only intended to place my opinoin on my previous years in the BC SID office, sorry for the confusion. Again, in the last three years in the SID office I do not remember either seening or hearing of a SLIAC Coaches poll being taken or published, nor one being taken this year. Again I may be mistaken, after all not all of us can be Confucian based SLIAC gurus like Pat Coleman.

fcnews

Easy Beaver! Rule of thumb on this board is. Don't take anything to serious. We're a little more laid back here We tend to over look spelling, puns, pokes and the likes. On this board we are really excited to have a rep. from any school. Look forword to your posts. Any news on Coach K ?