BB: ODAC: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Matt Barnhart (kid), December 30, 2005, 12:31:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

narch

Quote from: Llamaguy on February 11, 2006, 04:10:33 PM4 wins by the #1&2 placed USAC team versus ODAC #3 and below. The other 3 wins were against ODAC teams with only 1 ODAC victory in 2005.

llama, llama, llama...guilford was in a 3 way tie for 2nd place (not 3rd), and 4-2 against odac comp. (avg margin in losses: 9 pts)...they were 1-3 against the usasac (avg margin in losses: 18 pts) and 0-3 against teams in the top 3 spots in the usasac...they were 1-2 against similar odac schools -  4 of the usasac wins were against the 3 last place odac teams, who each were 1-5 in conference (3 total odac wins) - 2 of those wins were by a usasac team that was winless in usasac play (su vs. cua and rmc) and mc and fc did each beat ehc - su went 0-7 in the usasac, but 2-1 in the odac - furthermore, both on-field wins by the odac were by #1&2 placed teams over usasac treams that TOTALED one usasac win between them (gc vs. su) and finished last and next-to-last in the conference - your 2nd place team beat our next-to-last place team by one point...mc and fc beat ehc by 34 and 16 points, respectively

re: playoffs this year...had the committee sent bc to wesley in the first round instead of fc, they would have been one and done just like fc, so bc's sched of cc and usasac bottom feeders would have done them very little good - i'm not saying fc would have won at thiel or against w&j, but we KNOW that wesley was 39 points better than bc

bottom line...at the very least there is legit debate about the usasac vs. the odac in football...that's not the case in baseball...the usasac is CLEARLY BETTER

Llamaguy

Quote from: narch on February 11, 2006, 05:43:19 PM
Quote from: Llamaguy on February 11, 2006, 04:10:33 PM4 wins by the #1&2 placed USAC team versus ODAC #3 and below. The other 3 wins were against ODAC teams with only 1 ODAC victory in 2005.

llama, llama, llama...guilford was in a 3 way tie for 2nd place (not 3rd), and 4-2 against odac comp. (avg margin in losses: 9 pts)...they were 1-3 against the usasac (avg margin in losses: 18 pts)
I love the offseason. (he,he) Regardless of your view of tied for second or tied for third behind HSC based on tiebreakers, Guilford was Zero-fer when it lost to those USASAC powers. And in your words needed a miracle to pull out a 1 pt win against Greensboro. I guess that means Guilford peaked late and the USAC peaks too early each year? And yes BC doubled that avg. margin of loss to Guilford so I guess you are right BC isn't better than any other USASAC team. :-\

re: playoffs this year...had the committee sent bc to wesley in the first round instead of fc, they would have been one and done just like fc, so bc's sched of cc and usasac bottom feeders would have done them very little good - i'm not saying fc would have won at thiel or against w&j, but we KNOW that wesley was 39 points better than bc

Actually a better comparison would be had Ferrem and BC played in the first round, then the playoff side would be settled. Guess we will have to wait till September to see that one. ;) Comparisons of playoff round can be made each year. I would not guarantee that BC would have lost to Wesley in the first round. By round 3 there were several injuries to the O-line at BC and it showed. If that was the case then in 2004 BC who lost  in dbl ot to W&J would be considered better than CNU who lost by 10 pts in regulation on the same field a week later. You just can't make those comparisons.
"The Dali Llama"

Bridgewater Football 1980,2001,2002,2003,2004,2005 ODAC Champions!

narch

Quote from: Llamaguy on February 11, 2006, 08:28:17 PMI guess that means Guilford peaked late and the USAC peaks too early each year? And yes BC doubled that avg. margin of loss to Guilford so I guess you are right BC isn't better than any other USASAC team. :-\

or maybe it means that the usasac teams guilford played were BETTER than the odac teams guilford played...seems logical to me, especially since none of the gcq losses were really close :)

what margin did bc double against gc?  they won by 16, which is not double 9 or double 18...but, i never meant to imply that any usasac team was better than bc...who knows???...the only usasac team bc played was su, and they were pretty horrible - we could compare scores for bc and mc vs. common opponents (su, gcq, ehc), if you'd like though (bc won by 29,16,14; mc won by 35,17,34) :)

unfortunately the weather played havoc with all the usasac/odac BASEBALL matchups this weekend

Llamaguy

Well fortunately the ODAC #1 will play the USASAC #1 this year. And I can settle with no USASAC team being better than BC until they can beat them on the field. Since CNU in 2003 that has not happened. As far as the rest of the ODAC, we will have to see if they can hold up their end in 2006.

What ODAC/USASAC baseball matchups were scheduled this weekend?
"The Dali Llama"

cnufan

NC Wesleyan was to play Lynchburg Saturday
Lynchburg was set to play CNU Sunday.

Both of those games were postponed.

Llamaguy

Quote from: Goose13 on February 12, 2006, 12:49:02 PM
NC Wesleyan was to play Lynchburg Saturday
Lynchburg was set to play CNU Sunday.

Both of those games were postponed.

Thanks Goose! I was too lazy to look it up. Plus with 8 inches of snow here at BC, thinking of opening a baseball season this weekend was definitely not on the radar. ;D
"The Dali Llama"

narch

i think greensboro/hsc was postponed, too...but i'm kinda lazy myself

cnufan

narch-
   You are correct. They had a double-dip planned and will play one I think on April 9.

As far as Im concerned, Feb. 11 and even Feb. 4 is too darn early to start a freakin baseball season!!

narch

Quote from: Goose13 on February 12, 2006, 05:03:12 PM
As far as Im concerned, Feb. 11 and even Feb. 4 is too darn early to start a freakin baseball season!!

it's NEVER too early to start baseball, goose

cnufan

I agree with you to a point narch! But it all depends on the profession you're in.

cnufan

Capts open with a 10-3 win over Randolph-Macon. Corbin goes 4-for-5 with a solo homer and three RBIs. Brad Melton was 3-for-3 with two doubles and a couple RBIs as well.

bcsportswriter

Bridgewater wins a double dip at Averett yesterday 6-5 and 4-1 (I think those were the scores).  Big day for junior Jono Brooks and good showing on the mound for the Eagles....gonna be a fun year

Llamaguy

The Eagles are 3 and OoooooH against the mighty USAC. I know it is early but good start anyway. Don't use all your pitching on the Southern swing so you can actually have a live arm for Methodist. ;)

8 games in 7 days, now that is baseball scheduling. Guess we will know how deep the pitching staff is in about 2 weeks.

Go Eagles!
"The Dali Llama"

narch

Quote from: Llamaguy on February 24, 2006, 12:55:58 AM
The Eagles are 3 and OoooooH against the mighty USAC

make that "3 and OoooooH" against teams that finished in the bottom 1/2 of the usasac last year and were picked to finish #6 and #7 in the preseason poll of a 7 team league :)

as a whole, the usasac is just 5-6 vs. the odac this season, although, to be fair, averett is 0-5 and the rest of the conference is 5-1...it's starting to look a lot like last year where the upper half of the usasac is very good against the odac while averett gets beat up by them

Llamaguy

Quote from: narch on February 24, 2006, 03:07:44 PM
Quote from: Llamaguy on February 24, 2006, 12:55:58 AM
The Eagles are 3 and OoooooH against the mighty USAC

make that "3 and OoooooH" against teams that finished in the bottom 1/2 of the usasac last year and were picked to finish #6 and #7 in the preseason poll of a 7 team league :)

2005 ODAC Football Preseason Poll

Place         Team                 Points  (First-Place Votes)
1.         Bridgewater                      48 (6)
2.         Hampden-Sydney              43 (1)
3.         Emory and Henry               31
4.         Washington and Lee           29
5.         Randolph-Macon                22
6.         Guilford                            12
7.         Catholic                           11

Interesting! Why did that same logic not hold true for the ODAC in football?  ;)
;D ;D ;D ;D
"The Dali Llama"