Poll

What round will Matt Gono of Wesley get drafted?

4th or higher?
0 (0%)
5th?
1 (50%)
6th or 7th?
1 (50%)
Will end up signing somewhere as an UDFA
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closes: April 26, 2018, 11:09:19 am

Author Topic: FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference  (Read 1059648 times)

Offline bman

• All-Region
    • View Profile
Re: FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference
« Reply #11790 on: April 16, 2018, 02:23:48 pm »
Life ainít fair.  Part of
The education of a student athlete (as opposed to whatever they claim to be doing at DI).

Rowan and Keeler will never shed this reputation, was it worth it?  A college many consider a place filled with non students and whom will do anything to win.  Not unfair, Keelwr had bosses.  Thereís lots of costs to it.  Not picking on Brockport but itís a regional state school that will never be able to
Grow too
Much due to the structure of the N.Y. state allocation of resources (thereís a four U oversight Center system and wonít be a fifth, kind of like the Cal state system) so beockport is always going to be what it is as a school.theres no opportunity to suddenly kick start an endowment like a Grinnell or Emory in any way that would change the profile so thereís probably more asymmetric upside to trying to make extracurriculars more successful than anywhere else in the institution.  Rowan is (now) Private (I believe) so the cost of making such choices is much higher.  The reputation will always carry a cost.

Let's be careful in lumping every D-I school together (the Ivy League, Patriot League, the service academies, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and many other institutions would certainly challenge that "as opposed to whatever they claim to be doing at DI" comment). Remember, there is probably an even wider divide in the D-III student-athlete world when you compare a couple conferences like the NESCAC, UAA, Centennial......too pick just a few................with the shenanigans that were going on in the Shady Keeler days at Rowan. I could write a novel. All D-III's are not created equal.......nor are all D-I's. You get superb, great good, average, poor and piss poor student athletes coming out of all of the NCAA divisions.
I don't know how much I'd place on Keeler and how much on the college at the time.  Remember, the ascendance of the program didn't start with Keeler, it started with Bunting.   Keeler is a mystery.  He clearly pushed(s) the boundaries of recruiting (let's face it, Rutgers washouts were a pipeline to Rowan), but there has never been anything other than his (mysterious) firing at Delaware to indicate that he did anything wrong...and he's been successful at every stop.
Remember at that time, Rowan was not considered a tough school to get in.  It was more of a fall-back school.  Rowan has made leaps forward and is now a much harder school to get in, which would now be a barrier to those easy transfers of the early 90s...
Point being, I think it is too easy to just put it all on Keeler, I feel I was a combination of both the coach and the institution. 

Offline MUC57

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11791 on: April 16, 2018, 03:30:48 pm »

bman

Didn't know K. C. Keeler was fired from Delaware. Mount had a few games with Rowan. Can you fill me in on the Delaware firing or give me a reference to check into? Thanks! No one in Raider country cared much for coach sunglasses. ☠🏈🇷🇴

Offline bill

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11792 on: April 16, 2018, 11:02:51 pm »
MUC57,

Here's a basic recap...

https://whyy.org/articles/kc-keeler-out-as-university-of-delaware-football-coach/

Bottom line - never follow a legend. It almost never works out....(maybe Tom Osborne, but that list is short)
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

Offline MUC57

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11793 on: April 17, 2018, 07:14:24 am »

bill

Thanks for the info. I'll read it now.
😎 (K. C. Keeler look alike)

Offline MUC57

• Starter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11794 on: April 17, 2018, 07:24:13 am »

bill

Just read it. Thanks again. Seems I live in a closet. Following Dlll has kept me from staying on top of the other divisions. Of course, posters on the OAC board would offer a different excuse. They would tell you what I always say - I'm old. I get mixed up and I forget things!

Offline thewaterboy

• All-Conference
    • View Profile
« Reply #11795 on: April 23, 2018, 10:04:08 pm »
Wesley has released their 2018 roster. Looks to be a slightly younger team. Quite a few question marks IMO... especially at the receiver position as well as defensively. No Stefon Woodruff.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:07:16 pm by thewaterboy »