FB: New Jersey Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bman

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on April 11, 2018, 12:54:49 PM
Quote from: pumkinattack on March 28, 2018, 08:11:44 AM
Life ain't fair.  Part of
The education of a student athlete (as opposed to whatever they claim to be doing at DI).

Rowan and Keeler will never shed this reputation, was it worth it?  A college many consider a place filled with non students and whom will do anything to win.  Not unfair, Keelwr had bosses.  There's lots of costs to it.  Not picking on Brockport but it's a regional state school that will never be able to
Grow too
Much due to the structure of the N.Y. state allocation of resources (there's a four U oversight Center system and won't be a fifth, kind of like the Cal state system) so beockport is always going to be what it is as a school.theres no opportunity to suddenly kick start an endowment like a Grinnell or Emory in any way that would change the profile so there's probably more asymmetric upside to trying to make extracurriculars more successful than anywhere else in the institution.  Rowan is (now) Private (I believe) so the cost of making such choices is much higher.  The reputation will always carry a cost.

Let's be careful in lumping every D-I school together (the Ivy League, Patriot League, the service academies, Vanderbilt, Northwestern and many other institutions would certainly challenge that "as opposed to whatever they claim to be doing at DI" comment). Remember, there is probably an even wider divide in the D-III student-athlete world when you compare a couple conferences like the NESCAC, UAA, Centennial......too pick just a few................with the shenanigans that were going on in the Shady Keeler days at Rowan. I could write a novel. All D-III's are not created equal.......nor are all D-I's. You get superb, great good, average, poor and piss poor student athletes coming out of all of the NCAA divisions.
I don't know how much I'd place on Keeler and how much on the college at the time.  Remember, the ascendance of the program didn't start with Keeler, it started with Bunting.   Keeler is a mystery.  He clearly pushed(s) the boundaries of recruiting (let's face it, Rutgers washouts were a pipeline to Rowan), but there has never been anything other than his (mysterious) firing at Delaware to indicate that he did anything wrong...and he's been successful at every stop.
Remember at that time, Rowan was not considered a tough school to get in.  It was more of a fall-back school.  Rowan has made leaps forward and is now a much harder school to get in, which would now be a barrier to those easy transfers of the early 90s...
Point being, I think it is too easy to just put it all on Keeler, I feel I was a combination of both the coach and the institution. 

MUC57

bman

Didn't know K. C. Keeler was fired from Delaware. Mount had a few games with Rowan. Can you fill me in on the Delaware firing or give me a reference to check into? Thanks! No one in Raider country cared much for coach sunglasses. ☠🏈🇷🇴
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

bill

MUC57,

Here's a basic recap...

https://whyy.org/articles/kc-keeler-out-as-university-of-delaware-football-coach/

Bottom line - never follow a legend. It almost never works out....(maybe Tom Osborne, but that list is short)
"To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day."

MUC57

bill

Thanks for the info. I'll read it now.
😎 (K. C. Keeler look alike)

MUC57

bill

Just read it. Thanks again. Seems I live in a closet. Following Dlll has kept me from staying on top of the other divisions. Of course, posters on the OAC board would offer a different excuse. They would tell you what I always say - I'm old. I get mixed up and I forget things!

thewaterboy

Wesley has released their 2018 roster. Looks to be a slightly younger team. Quite a few question marks IMO... especially at the receiver position as well as defensively. No Stefon Woodruff.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: thewaterboy on April 23, 2018, 10:04:08 PM
Wesley has released their 2018 roster. Looks to be a slightly younger team. Quite a few question marks IMO... especially at the receiver position as well as defensively. No Stefon Woodruff.

Ton of returning talent including the stud QB and RB, 3 offensive lineman and a bunch of defensive returnees. Add in a few transfers and another great freshmen class and Wesley will be battling for the #1/#2 seed in the East this year. DelVal got blown apart by graduation so they will not stand in the way like the past two seasons and I don't see anybody in the NJAC, given comparative returnees, challenging Wesley this year. The biggest question to me is can they run the table and possibly get Brockport at home to get to the National Semifinals. I'm taking Mount Union and UMHB........and everybody else can have the rest of the field. Oh.......and I'll take Alabama and give you the rest of the field as well. D-1 and D-3 football..........where you know most of the ending before you start to watch the movie. ;)

Teamski

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on April 27, 2018, 12:19:01 PM
Ton of returning talent including the stud QB and RB, 3 offensive lineman and a bunch of defensive returnees. Add in a few transfers and another great freshmen class and Wesley will be battling for the #1/#2 seed in the East this year. DelVal got blown apart by graduation so they will not stand in the way like the past two seasons and I don't see anybody in the NJAC, given comparative returnees, challenging Wesley this year. The biggest question to me is can they run the table and possibly get Brockport at home to get to the National Semifinals. I'm taking Mount Union and UMHB........and everybody else can have the rest of the field. Oh.......and I'll take Alabama and give you the rest of the field as well. D-1 and D-3 football..........where you know most of the ending before you start to watch the movie. ;)

If you are referring to Burroughs, I wouldn't necessarily call him a stud QB.  He had a really rough game against a good Bridgewater defense and his arm is pretty suspect.  If he is the starter again, I really hope he improves the power in his passing game.  I like his confidence, but like a lot of other running QB's out there, the offense lives or dies by his performance.  I am sure he will have to earn the position again this year.

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

thewaterboy

Stinks that Gono was unable to get a call during the draft, but much congratulations to signing with the Atlanta Falcons!

When you're hoping to be drafted, being from a D3 school puts you very much at a disadvantage. Not only for the obvious reasons, but I like to think that NFL teams think they can skip on a D3 guy they want because they know that some of the other 31 NFL teams might have the same plan as them. Hope that he doesn't get his name called and swipe him up as soon as the draft ends. Why waste a draft pick on someone very few other teams in the league have even got a chance to see? Thus the "low profileness" of D3....

pumkinattack

Imagine how crazy it is that Tampa Bay traded up to get back into the second round to take ali Marpet a few years ago (justified not only by his starting since day one but also third party reports and evaluation of his first theee years, RG and then Center, his arms are too short to play tackle in the NFL).  He played Wesley twice if you recall (2011, when we were a tough out in one of the more whacked first round matchups playing a backup QB, starting WR out and no kicking game & 2014 which got away from us, the seminal moment being when we had the ball down 20-14 in that nasty weather, fumbled and the Wesley's kid took it what looked like slow motion downfield the other way and the wheels fell off).

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Teamski on April 27, 2018, 04:53:37 PM

If you are referring to Burroughs, I wouldn't necessarily call him a stud QB.  He had a really rough game against a good Bridgewater defense and his arm is pretty suspect.  If he is the starter again, I really hope he improves the power in his passing game.  I like his confidence, but like a lot of other running QB's out there, the offense lives or dies by his performance.  I am sure he will have to earn the position again this year.

-Ski

After the DelVal game, there was a post or two lamenting the loss of the starting QB to a season ending injury. I made a comment that it was the best thing (not being mean here) that could of happened to Wesley. Not only could you see the physical and athletic difference of the two, but a former Wesley QB (no names........but last name rhymes with hick beenie ;) ) told me that most of the coaching staff and players felt the same way as well. Wesley proceeded to run the table until they met Brockport. If they get solid, not spectacular, play out of Burroughs, with all that they have both coming back and coming in..................and with DelVal getting wiped out by graduation, I see Wesley running the table and flipping a coin for the #1 seed in the East with Brockport. Brockport sounds like they are taking a page out of the 1990's Rowan playbook and becoming a higher level transfer weigh station. I don't see Wesley beating them to get to the national semifinals............and I do see Brockport possibly going all the way. Possibly, not probably. :)

thewaterboy

Quote from: jmcozenlaw on May 01, 2018, 04:51:22 PM
Quote from: Teamski on April 27, 2018, 04:53:37 PM

-Ski

After the DelVal game, there was a post or two lamenting the loss of the starting QB to a season ending injury. I made a comment that it was the best thing (not being mean here) that could of happened to Wesley. Not only could you see the physical and athletic difference of the two, but a former Wesley QB (no names........but last name rhymes with hick beenie ;) ) told me that most of the coaching staff and players felt the same way as well. Wesley proceeded to run the table until they met Brockport. If they get solid, not spectacular, play out of Burroughs, with all that they have both coming back and coming in..................and with DelVal getting wiped out by graduation, I see Wesley running the table and flipping a coin for the #1 seed in the East with Brockport. Brockport sounds like they are taking a page out of the 1990's Rowan playbook and becoming a higher level transfer weigh station. I don't see Wesley beating them to get to the national semifinals............and I do see Brockport possibly going all the way. Possibly, not probably. :)
I hope Burroughs improves. He was exposed (but didn't get too much help either) in what was, quite frankly, a disappointing Brockport loss. Take any QB from the past 10 years from Wesley and that game is won. Burroughs can win NJAC games and that is great, but I want the guy who is gonna win the big playoff ones. Whether or not he will be that guy is to be seen in his senior campaign. Wesley will have a few interesting transfer additions as well. Not gonna give em away, but the 2018 roster is up on their page. Of course, we won't know how good they are until they see the field on game day.

In other news, Joe Callahan got scooped up by the Philadelphia Eagles after being cut by the Packers. Good luck Joe!

Teamski

Quote from: thewaterboy on May 02, 2018, 10:55:24 PM
In other news, Joe Callahan got scooped up by the Philadelphia Eagles after being cut by the Packers. Good luck Joe!

+1 for the intel!

-Ski
Wesley College Football.... A Winning Tradition! A Coach Mike Drass Legacy.

MUC57

Teamski et al

Joe Callahan deserves to be playing somewhere. The guy was all-world at Wesley. Best to him. ☠🏈

ITH radio

Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle