WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d-mac

It's time for the Big Dance... the teams are selected... the games are scheduled... and now 48 men's and 50 women's teams will take to the court this weekend with the same goal... a national title.
But who will win? The tournament previews are tonight on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Sunday night we were live when the teams were selected and we found out who was in and out. The women's bracket was done relatively well... the men's bracket seems to be a bit of a disappointment.

But now we are looking ahead at the big games this weekend. From now on its win or go home.

One of those men's teams that is one of the hottest in the nation is #17 Gustavus Adulphus... who is riding an 18-game winning streak into the NCAA Tournament. The Gusties now will take on Lawrence on Thursday and could face the defending National Champs, UW-Stevens Point on Saturday. So, what might Mark Hanson be thinking. We will hear from him tonight and how his team has recovered from their 4-5 start to the season.

Now... the NCAA doesn't seed the Men's and Women's Brackets... but we will!
Tonight, live on the air, we will seed the men's and women's brackets according to how we see it and how we think the NCAA was thinking. So you can get an idea of who the NCAA thinks are the top teams and who might be hosting games in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (Regionals).

And there are new #1 teams in both the Men's and Women's Top-25 this week... but barely. UW-Stevens Point is just points ahead of Amherst on the men's side. And on the women's, it is just a point between Scranton and Bowdoin.

We will breakdown the final regular season Top-25 and try and figure out what the voters were thinking. Along with pointing out how not all of the Top-25 made the tournament.

And of course, we will have live regional reports from around the nation and take your questions and comments live on the air.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8PM - 10PM Eastern!

"http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville": only place where you can listen or chat about Division III Basketball in the nation.

Go to the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for information on how you can listen in and chat with us live!

wizard

Albion still ranked ahead of Calvin.  Unbelievable when you consider that of Albion's 4 losses, three of them were to Calvin.  They weren't able to beat Calvin all year.

Go Knights!

goodknight

Final from the Calvin Fieldhouse
Calvin 74
Franklin 60

The Knights play Saturday at DePauw.

knightrider

An interesting game at the fieldhouse tonight.  I thought the knights could have played better than they did and it hurt to have lisa winkle out for a majority of the first half with foul trouble.  But calvin was able to pull away in the end.  Kudos to Lisa winkle on a strong game.  Kristen mcdonald played well again.  But I thought the game ball should go to Lisa Nanninga.  She played great all game on some tough posts inside and then added 10 points and had 10 rebounds to go with it.  Also props have to go out to Rita Owinga for her great defense on Lindsey Roberson.  Roberson has to be one of the best pure shooters in D3 women's basketball.  I'll compare her to Andy Draayer from the calvin guys team.  She still scored 20 points but I think we played good defense on her.

Bring on Depauw!!!  Go Knights!!

wizard

2 good teams.
3 lousy officials.
Almost makes me appreciate the officals we see on the men's circuit.

Dark Knight

I didn't realize it until today, but Massey does ratings for Women's basketball too: http://www.mratings.com/rate.php?lg=cbw#Div III" target=_top>http://www.mratings.com/rate.php?lg=cbw#Div III

Calvin is #4, just like on the Men's side. Hope is #11, Albion is #18.

Massey predicted that Calvin would beat Franklin by 13 -- and they won by 14. The prediction for the game at DePauw is exactly even.

knightrider

wiz- I think it would be better to say 2 good teams and two lousy officials with one good one.  The female official at least called a consistant, following the rules game.  She had only one questionable call on mcdonald, the guys though were terrible.  The white haired guy was all over the place.  but oh well, a W is a W.

wizard

The woman was no better.  In fact, much worse.  She didn't know when to call a jump ball rather than a foul or a block rather than a charge.  She set gender equity back about 20 years in just a 40 minute span.

tniem

It has been my experience that in general the refs on the women's side are very inconsistent with charges/blocks and jump balls.  Most of the time jump balls should be fouls or are called way too fast when someone really had full possession.

wizard

All I know is they make Todd Geerlings look good, and that's bad.

Bob Mackenzie

I really think they mess up about as many calls as the men's refs.  They certainly had a few stinkers last night.  But the big difference is with the men's game being played at much greater speed, much more going on in the air, and much more athleticism, the bad calls often aren't nearly as obvious.

knightrider

WOW!!! what a game on Saturday.  I made it down for the calvin womens game in Greencastle IN v DePauw.  The knights started the game with a 13-0 run and we up that amount at half.  To no ones surprise im sure though depauw made a great come back but seemed to run out of gas with about 3 minutes to go.  Calvin went on a 12-0 run to end the game.  And now the lady knights get to host the sectionals.  An amazing season continues, but can the knights beat albion four times in one season??  We'll find out. GO KNIGHTS

Christopher Leverett

Here's hoping that the 4th time is the charm Friday night. Winkle and McDonald are two outstanding players. McDonald should have made the DIII hoops team of the week for her performances in the MIAA tourney. I just don't think Albion played up to their capabilities on that given Saturday. They looked like a totally different team vs. Dension. Also last time Sventickas took the o-fer and I don't think that will happen againhttp://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>

GO BRITS

d-mac

Basketball in Division III at this time of year... is so SWEET!!!
32 teams still have a chance at two national titles... and many teams weren't expected to get this far.
Tonight, a preview of this weekend's Sweet 16 action and preparations for the Final Four... on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Wooster, Wittenburg, and Illinois Wesleyan are out of the men's bracket!
So, who in the world is still left in the Men's Road to Salem?
Well... UW-Stevens Point, Amherst, and St. John Fisher.

Trinity (TX) is still alive. Most thought they would be playing IWU on Friday night, instead they face Hanover. Tonight, we will chat with Coach Pat Cunningham about his Tigers. Their road to the Final Four is going to be a tough one.

Then there is John Carrol, who defeated Wittenburg to earn their Sweet 16 berth. Coach Mike Moran seems to have his Blue Streaks team clicking on all the right cylinders, having won the OAC before their run in the NCAA's. We will chat with Coach Moran about his upcoming game against Albion... who got by on what some say is a questionable win over Wooster.

On the women's side, not too many upsets, even though DePauw and Buena Vista were eliminated on their Road to Virginia Beach.

Wesleyan continues to surprise as they took out Staten Island to earn their Sweet 16 game against Springfield. Coach Kate Mullen will join us live on the air to talk about how this season's finish isn't what the Cardinals planned on... and how they're looking to keep dancing.

George Fox will be earning a lot of frequent flyer miles this weekend. Coach Scott Rueck has his Bruins playing very good basketball and will take on St. Benedict, who upset Buena Vista. But how are the Bruins going to handle flying across the entire length of the nation for the game(s)... we will ask Coach Rueck.

And Salem is getting ready for their tenth Men's Final Four. ODAC Commissioner Brad Bankston will join us live on the air to let us know how the preparations are going. How you can get tickets! And what else you can expect and should do while in the great city of Salem (and Roanoke), Virginia.

Oh... and of course we will chat with our regional reporters - Gordon Mann will actually join us in studio. And we will certainly take your questions and comments on the air and try and cover a very busy week of basketball.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8PM - 10PM Eastern!

"http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville": only place where you can listen or chat about Division III Basketball in the nation.

Check out the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for information on how you can listen... and be a part of the show.