East Region Fan Poll

Started by gobombers15, December 19, 2008, 01:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Quote from: bearnation on December 28, 2008, 11:09:03 AM
The computerized DIII poll has the correct win lose records however they have not updated changes in the conferences such as Stevens still is the SKYLINE Conference and SUNYIT still in the SUNYAC.  Hard to accept a poll when one doesn't do their homework! I guess this is why we play the games.

bearnation,

Concerning David Wilson's computerized rankings:

I noticed those errors, and about 8 or 9 more and e-mailed Mr. Wilson with a list of updates and conference moves. Hopefully, there will be some corrections made in the next week or so. Some of the biggest errors involved the Pennslyvania Athletic Conference which has changed names and a number of schools(now known as The Colonial States Athletic Conference, The Skyline Conference which has numerous drops and adds,  The Middle Atlantic Conference, which is really 2 separate conferences(MAC-Freedom(MACF) and MAC Commonwealth(MACC)), has changed considerably. Not to mention the Landmark Conference, which formed several years ago out of many schools that were originally in the Middle Atlantic Conference. The North Eastern Athletic Conference(NEAC) was not listed and a number of their teams were listed as independents. There were some others as well and I only looked at the eastern part of the country so there may be more. 

Can't be too hard on Mr. Wilson as this undertaking must involve an enormous amount of work. I think it just needs a bit of fine tuning.

Anyone else notice The University of Dallas in Texas is a member of the North Eastern Athletic Conference yet plays no conference games and gets to participate in the conference tournament because all 9 teams are in the playoffs(#8 seed plays #9 seed in a play-in game) . What's up with that?

D3Hoops is also still showing SUNYIT in the conference standings of SUNYAC, as well as the NEAC standings.  Maybe Pat will read this and delete them from the SUNYAC ;)     

Ralph Turner

UDallas and the NEAC -- D3hoops.com Notables.

Magicman asked me to share info from an email.

QuoteYes, UDallas is an affiliate in the NEAC in selected sports for at least a couple of seasons.

I spoke with their AD last weekend.  UDallas left the ASC in 2001 as it went in a different direction from the ASC.  They have not received an invitation to join the SCAC. (They hope for the word, "yet").  I think that these discussions arose thru relationships that have arisen out of the Association of D-III Independents, where most of these schools were prior to this consolidation into conferences.

I agree with the strategy that has been executed.  The NEAC is in need of teams to retain the AQ until they can acquire new ones in the geographic region.  If you will recall, the NEAC started out as 12 teams.  Most of those charter members have been inivited to "fancier" dances, so to speak.  As the Villa Julie's, Philly Bible's, Keystone, Chestnut Hill (to D2), Baptist Bible's, SUNY-Purchase's, Bard's and Polytechnic's went elsewhere, the conference (NEAC) and UDallas devised this strategy.  (I sometimes wonder if it wasn't UDallas' AD Dick Strockbine who masterminded this.)  There are several schools in the Penn State System that are formalizing their athletics programs from a club/USCAA level into D-III that are moving into the NEAC.  I think that is the ultimate solution for the NEAC.

In the meantime, UDallas is the interim solution for the NEAC and their AQ.  I think that it works for UDallas, too.  I believe that UDallas will do well with respect to athletic success and AQ's relative to Pool B.  They are my favorite for the Men's AQ, to be determined by the post-season tourney.  As for schedules, I think that UDallas will schedule a few games in 2009-10.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2004/02/03/neacs-final-lineup-set-at-12.html

As for the wealth of D3 knowledge in this site's archives, it is priceless.  Check out the search features for the message boards and the notables if you have a question!  ;)

magicman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 28, 2008, 07:20:46 PM
UDallas and the NEAC -- D3hoops.com Notables.

Ralph,

I know you're good but MINDREADING!! I had barely finished my personal message to you about posting the UDallas-NEAC explanation you sent me on this board and when I look you've already posted the link.  Figures that D3 Hoops had this story but I wasn't to active back in September and missed it. Thanks for your help. Plus k.

magicman

The Bad:

Tough losses tonight for St. Lawrence and Potsdam State. Both teams played decent opponents, but they needed to win those games to have any hope of getting noticed in the Top 25 poll. Potsdam lost to undefeated Skyline Conference leader St. Joseph's(L.I.) 76-73 down in Orlando Fla, but St Joe's 8-0 record has come at the expense of 6 pretty bad teams. The Skyline Conference is one of the weakest rated conferences in Division 3.  They do own an 82-61 win over RIT and now Potsdam as their 2 best wins.

St. Lawrence got beat 97-93 by an 8-3 Widener team out of the Middle Atlantic Conference (Commonwealth Division). Widener owns a victory over Gettysburg, when they were ranked #15 in the Top 25 poll. This loss doesn't kill St. Lawrence's chances of ever getting noticed but with the Saints and Potsdam both having 3 losses this early it'll be tough to climb over the dozens of teams with 1 or 2 losses just to make the "others receiving votes".

The Ugly:

Stevens getting pounded by an underachieving (so far) 2-6 Nazareth team tonight 98-75 certainly won't bring them any love.

The Good:

On the plus side, a win by Ithaca on Sunday against Alfred would move the Bombers to 10-0 and with the large number of Top 25 teams losing this week along with the fact that there are only 11 undefeated teams left in D 3 hoops they will certainly move up a few spots in the next poll due out on Jan 5th which will include all games through Sunday the 4th. I think they will probably check in at #15 leaping over Illinois Wesleyan and Ursinus who both dropped a game on Tuesday the 30th. Several other teams just above them could lose on Sat. or Sun and the Bombers might make it as high as #13 Seven of those undefeated teams are ranked in the Top 25 and 2 others Millikin (34 pts) and Franklin&Marshall (2 pts) are in the "others receiving votes". Only NYU and the above mentioned St. Joe's are undefeated teams that have failed to garner a single mention. While NYU's schedule hasn't  been as tough as Ithaca's, it's certainly been more difficult than St. Joe's. NYU has played 6 teams with a winning record including Stevens 7-3, Conn. College 6-3, and 9-3 Baruch who pounded St Mary's (Md) when they were undefeated at 7-0 and  ranked #14 in the country. Baruch was down 35-25 against St Mary's early in the 2nd half and went on a 33-6 run to take control and win by a 73-54 score. I think NYU will probably get some votes this week but not enough to crack the Top 25. Fisher's big win over now #20 St. Mary's could knock them right out of the Top 25 and if Fisher can beat Stevens on Saturday they will also grab a few votes in  this upcoming poll on Monday.   

Since I first posted this on Friday night 5 more unbeaten teams have been knocked off leaving only 6.  NYU at 8-0 just might get lucky now and crack the Top 25. Notice I said might, not will. But they will get some support at the very least.

And with #11 Elms losing today Ithaca may get into the #14 spot. Also think St. John Fisher, with 4 wins in 6 days to get to 7-1, will be in the ORV category.

gobombers15

All, don't forget to send me your polls tomorrow evening. Thanks. I think we're going to see quite a shake-up.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

gobombers15

Fellas, just need polls from: Bamm, Caz, Magicman, With age came? Just send those over when you get a chance.

magicman

GB 15

I sent mine around 11 PM. Let me know if you didn't get it. Having some computer problems.

Caz Bombers

My poll should be on its way through the series of tubes right now.

gobombers15

East Region Fan Poll - East Region Fan Poll #2 (through 1/4/09)

#School (1st votes)RecordPtsPrev.This Week
1Ithaca ( 10 )
10-0
vs Utica, vs Nazareth, at RIT
2NYU
8-0
vs #5 Oneonta State, vs Carnegie Mellon, vs #4 Rochester
3St. John Fisher
7-1
NR
at RIT, at Utica, at Elmira
4Rochester
6-2
at #6 Clarkson, at Brandeis, at #2 NYU
5Oneonta State
8-3
at #2 NYU, at Brockport State
6Clarkson
7-1
vs #4 Rochester, at Cortland State, vs Oswego State
7St. Lawrence
5-3
at Oswego State, at Brockport State
8Geneseo State
6-2
at Pitt-Bradford, vs Cortland State, at New Paltz State

Others Receiving votes:      

Hamilton (8 )
Oswego State (6)
Fredonia State (3)
RIT (3)
Hartwick (2)

Dropping out: #5 Hamilton

Voting Breakdown:

Ithaca (1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)

NYU (2, 6, 2, 2, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2)

St. John Fisher (3, 2, 3, 4, 3, 4, 4, 3, 7, 4)

Rochester (4, 7, 4, 3, 4, 3, 2, 6, 4, 5)

Oneonta (5, -, 8, 5, 6, 6, 6, 4, 8, 3)

Clarkson (8, -, 5, 6, 5, 5, -, 8, 6, 7)

St. Lawrence (7, 5, -, 7, 8, 7, 7, 5, 5, -)

Geneseo (-, 4, 7, 8, -, 8, 8, 7, 3, 8 )

Hamilton (6, 8, -, -, -, -, 5, -, -, -)

Oswego (-, 3, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)

Fredonia (-, -, 6, -, -, -, -, -, -, -)

RIT (-, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, -, 6)

Hartwick (-, -, -, -, 7, -, -, -, -, -)

Key Regional Games This Week:

#4 Rochester @ #6 Clarkson (1/5)
#5 Oneonta @ #2 NYU (1/6)
#4 Rochester @ #2 NYU (1/11)

magicman

Clarkson rallies from 18 down against UR and gets within 1 at 66-65 with 15 secs left only to come up short 71-67. UR goes up 68-65 on 2 Mike Chmielowiec FT's and Knights Brandon Litton's layup cuts it to 1 again. Clarkson fouls and UR makes 1 of 2 with 6 secs. left. Clarkson with 1 last chance turns the ball over and UR makes 2 more FT's to end it. Tough loss for the Knights but shows they can hang with some of the better teams in the East.   

gobombers15

I give Clarkson a lot of credit or scheduling some good opponents for their OOC schedule: Rochester, Oswego, Cortland, Potsdam, Plattsburgh. Some of those teams are down this year, but nobody knows that when the games are scheduled a year or two in advance. Can't say Clarkson is ducking anyone.

magicman

gb15

Good job with the poll. Seems like most everybody was on the same page. Enough space between the top 5 teams so that a single outlier vote wouldn't skew the results, had that happened.

Interesting that the computer rankings at this website are once again pretty darn close to ours.

http://talismanred.com/ratings/hoops/divisioniii.shtml  

Their East Region rankings as of Jan. 4th look like this: Number following team is their national ranking.

1. Ithaca       6
2. NYU           11
3. SJF            19
4. UR             52
5. SLU           69
6. Oneonta   71
7. Clarkson   76
8. Geneseo   85
9. Hamilton   92
10 Potsdam  94
10 Fredonia  94
12 Stevens   127
13 RIT           153
14 Hartwick   170  

Bear,

These rankings aren't compiled by David Wilson. They are put together by a guy named Cody Kirkpatrick using a computer rating system that was developed by David Wilson. There were numerous errors in the conference listings as they hadn't been updated in 3 or 4 years. I sent him corrections for 17 different conferences and he made the changes almost immediately. If you or anyone else see an error, he would appreciate it if you would let him know. There is a link on the front page of the website that you can click on to send him an e-mail.    

magicman

Interesting matchups on tap for tonight. Outcomes could scramble regional rankings.
                                                                    Winners
Middlebury at Plattsburgh St. 8PM              Middlebury 68-64
Oneonta at #32 NYU 7PM                           NYU  62-55
Clarkson at Cortland St. 6PM                      Clarkson 55-54 2OT
Keene St. at New Paltz St. 7PM                  New Paltz 73-70
Hobart at Buffalo St. 8PM                            Buffalo St 77-67           
St. Lawrence at Oswego St. 8PM                St. Lawrence 90-87

Empire 8 Action

Utica College at #12 Ithaca 8PM                 Ithaca 87-64   
#34 St. John Fisher at RIT 8PM                   RIT 56-36
Elmira at Alfred 8PM                                    Alfred 90-65
Massachusetts College at Hartwick 7PM     Postponed  Re-scheduled Feb.11th

Also

Hamilton at Connecticut College 6PM          Conn.College 69-50

bamm

Whoever put RIT at #6 in their poll looks much wiser this morning (I swear it wasn't me).

gobombers15

Quote from: bamm on January 07, 2009, 09:40:57 AM
Whoever put RIT at #6 in their poll looks much wiser this morning (I swear it wasn't me).

I debated putting RIT in mine, but settled on another team at #8. RIT could make a meteoric rise if they knock off Ithaca at home on Sunday. All the makings for an upset are there: road game, 5th game in 9 days for IC, not using Bostic enough. Regardless of the result, I think RIT will probably make it onto my ballot next week.