FB: Massachusetts State College Athletic Conference

Started by joecct, February 09, 2012, 01:50:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D3viewer

The last time Brockport played Plymouth St was '97, '98,'99, 2000. Brockport went 3-1 during that stretch. Losing only in1998. I think the Brockport HC Jason Mangone was the QB on that '98 team. Plymouth was pretty good then (Colt Meredith). They were coached by Brockport native Mike Kemp. That 2000 team was Brockport's first NCAA playoff team. The travel to the 2 places is somewhat difficult because the direct route is through the Adirondack mountains. So you have to wind your way through VT or head south to I90. Past history at this point is meaningless in terms of Sat games. I'm sure who posted the prediction has no idea what happened 15 years ago. So I'm guessing his prediction is based on the current Brockport teams, not what Brockport did in the past.

All we can go by is stats. Brockport is 28th in the nation in total offense Plymouth is ranked 223rd. Brockport is balanced on offense 210 yards rushing per game, 250 yards passing per game.Plymouth is a bit more anemic on offense, rushes for 123 yards a game and passes for 146 a game ( which is not great).
Defensively they are a little more evenly matched. Brockport is ranked 11th in the country in total D, Plymouth is ranked 45th. Brockport is 2nd in the country in run defense, they only give up 25 yards a game. Plymouth's run D is also solid, (98 yards a game). It all starts up front with Brockport's D with their 6'5 290 lb Noseguard in their 3-3 alignment, Austin Dean, He was 1st all Empire 8 as a sophomore in 2016. Brockport is first in the country in sacks, they have 48 sacks in 10 games. They will pressure the QB with blitzes and load up the box. Plymouth will have to be able to hit some plays in the passing game over the top. Conversely, even tho Brockport throws for 250 plus yards per game they are 12th in the nation in sacks given up, they only gave up 8 in 10 games. 48 sacks for, only 8 against all season.
They run a spread no huddle up temp offense, and play similar frenetic up tempo defense. Their offense has been held a bit in check the last 2 games because their QB got knocked out against AU, and didn't play last week. And their TB missed the game as well. So their primary ball carriers have gotten beaten up and it's starting to take it's toll on them.
Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to give statistical comparison, and someone feel free to holler back about PSU> . Obviously anyone can win, but we can talk about something right ?

AUPepBand

Quote from: D3viewer on November 15, 2017, 01:24:36 PM
Their offense has been held a bit in check the last 2 games because their QB got knocked out against AU, and didn't play last week. And their TB missed the game as well. So their primary ball carriers have gotten beaten up and it's starting to take it's toll on them.
Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to give statistical comparison, and someone feel free to holler back about PSU> . Obviously anyone can win, but we can talk about something right ?

To their credit, the AU defense (much to Pep's surprise) was stellar against Brockport with the big hit on the Eagle QB actually occurring very late in the game so his loss wasn't really experienced to a great degree until last week at St. Lawrence.

Brockport's defensive line dominated against AU and the Saxons had to revert to their passing game to move the ball, which they (again, to Pep's surprise) were able to do quite well excepting of course the two picks out on the flat (Grrrrrr!!!)

Pep doesn't know much about Plymouth State except that their conference champ last year was poised to play and Pep doesn't expect anything less from the Panthers.

Pep believes a healthy Brockport QB will lead the Golden Eagles to a 31-14 win.

On Golden Eagles!! Take it deep!

On Saxon Warriors! On to Victory!
...Fight, fight for Alfred, A-L-F, R-E-D!

D3viewer

"To their credit, the AU defense (much to Pep's surprise) was stellar against Brockport"
  Pep good point. I was going to mention in the post (was getting lengthy) that they also played 2 pretty good defenses in AU and SLU. That was most certainly a factor as well.

Boxer7806

I just don't see Plymouth being able to muster anything on offense to win this game. I think Plymouth has a damn good defense, that can definitely hold Brockport to 24 or under, especially with key Brockport players being out or beat up. I just don't see Plymouth getting to 10 points with that Brockport D line shutting down the run game and making them extremely one dimensional.

fulbakdad

Watched a couple PSU games on the web, I agree with Boxer.  Very good defense, but the Offense can only run the ball.  And stop that and the QB's limitations become obvious. 

D3MAFAN

Very poor showing by Plymouth State, they ran (not really) up against a really really really great team in Brockport.

I think Brockport is the best team in the East this year. In other news we handled Curry, wasn't even close. This was the most complete game from the RAMS all season, wish we could have played like this against Ply State earlier. This would have saved the conference from playing Brockport.

UfanBill

Quote from: D3MAFAN on November 18, 2017, 04:10:52 PM
Very poor showing by Plymouth State, they ran (not really) up against a really really really great team in Brockport.

I think Brockport is the best team in the East this year. In other news we handled Curry, wasn't even close. This was the most complete game from the RAMS all season, wish we could have played like this against Ply State earlier. This would have saved the conference from playing Brockport.

Nice game by your Rams. Too bad you didn't get to the dance with this year's team. I'm sure you would have shown better than Plymouth.
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

Boxer7806

No other way to describe that Plymouth St game than embarrassing. Its a shame Fram. lost to Plymouth with their back up QB because since he returned that offense was really starting to find its groove. An undefeated Framingham team probably draws Husson or Springfield, and a solid chance for a victory. Instead Plymouth gets monkey stomped, completely looking inept and hurting the league's reputation greatly. We go from Bridgewater almost beating the E8 champion in the playoffs last year to losing by 66 points the next year.

I'm definitely not saying West Conn or Framingham State are beating Brockport, because they are not, but they are probably giving them some sort of game that at least draws some respect.

MASCACAlum

Got to win to get in. Going to be a long couple months getting ready for next year. Finally you got to get your info right. Husson could of only got Springfield because of Springfield's ranking and husson location. Better luck next year for all teams.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: MASCACAlum on November 19, 2017, 09:21:12 PM
Got to win to get in. Going to be a long couple months getting ready for next year. Finally you got to get your info right. Husson could of only got Springfield because of Springfield's ranking and husson location. Better luck next year for all teams.

I'm pretty sure Framingham would have been ranked higher than Springfield had they been undefeated.

Boxer7806

Quote from: MASCACAlum on November 19, 2017, 09:21:12 PM

Don't quite get what you are saying here.

fulbakdad

Come on Boxer...

Framingham lost to Plymouth.  If you had won, you would have been the team playing.  But you didn't.  So get your sights ready to come back next year.

Boxer7806

Quote from: fulbakdad on November 21, 2017, 05:53:59 AM
Come on Boxer...

Framingham lost to Plymouth.  If you had won, you would have been the team playing.  But you didn't.  So get your sights ready to come back next year.

I got the gist of the message, I don't quite get where "finally get your info right" is coming from. I was saying it was a shame Framingham lost because they would of been undefeated and gotten a favorable draw. As D3MAFan pointed out, an undefeated Framingham probably would of been ranked high enough to either play WNEC, Husson, or Springfield.

I guess MASACAlum didn't agree with that and said I need to get informed. As you might infer, I believe I'm informed and indeed correct in this situation. Hence why I responded "Don't quite get what you are saying here".

But thanks for pointing out the obvious for me.

D3MAFAN

Quote from: Boxer7806 on November 21, 2017, 04:07:22 PM
Quote from: fulbakdad on November 21, 2017, 05:53:59 AM
Come on Boxer...

I got the gist of the message, I don't quite get where "finally get your info right" is coming from. I was saying it was a shame Framingham lost because they would of been undefeated and gotten a favorable draw. As D3MAFan pointed out, an undefeated Framingham probably would of been ranked high enough to either play WNEC, Husson, or Springfield.

I guess MASACAlum didn't agree with that and said I need to get informed. As you might infer, I believe I'm informed and indeed correct in this situation. Hence why I responded "Don't quite get what you are saying here".

But thanks for pointing out the obvious for me.

What Boxer said.

D3MAFAN

Congrats to Jacob Maher (1st Team), Jaquan Harris (2nd Team), Zach Ziemba (3rd Team), and Marvey Mathurin (3rd Team) for making All East Region selection.