2018 West Regional - Spokane, WA

Started by Mike Lehman, May 07, 2018, 12:31:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Boerger

Quote from: bzzboyz on May 10, 2018, 06:31:38 PM
I'm sorry. I know they have a lot of fans here and I know they are used to always winning, but if Trinity makes it to a regional then the system is very very flawed. No way on earth a team who loses 5 of their last 6 games, doesn't win their regular season and goes 2 out in their tournament should get any consideration. It would strictly be on reputation only if they got in, not on their performance this season. JMHO.

Given that I have yet to see any Trinity "fan" say they deserve or have any chance to be selected, this ("I know they have a lot of fans here and I know they are used to always winning") seems to be simply a gratuitous slam at the program and its supporters.   The team under-performed the last month and will stay at home - for the second year in a row - as a result.

Mike Lehman

Quote from: Ron Boerger on May 11, 2018, 12:10:16 PM
Quote from: bzzboyz on May 10, 2018, 06:31:38 PM
I'm sorry. I know they have a lot of fans here and I know they are used to always winning, but if Trinity makes it to a regional then the system is very very flawed. No way on earth a team who loses 5 of their last 6 games, doesn't win their regular season and goes 2 out in their tournament should get any consideration. It would strictly be on reputation only if they got in, not on their performance this season. JMHO.

Given that I have yet to see any Trinity "fan" say they deserve or have any chance to be selected, this ("I know they have a lot of fans here and I know they are used to always winning") seems to be simply a gratuitous slam at the program and its supporters.   The team under-performed the last month and will stay at home - for the second year in a row - as a result.
Although Trinity did win 34 wins they also lost 5 of their last 6 games. Also several losses in the season to teams with losing records. They went 0-2 in conference tourney. BUT their overall season winning percentage is .785. Tough way to not be included when their winning percentage and total number of season wins exceeds many in the regional rankings for all regions.

Ralph Turner

UTD 9 CTX 3 last night.  Single games tonight and tomorrow as needed.

Ralph Turner

UTD is up 8-1, batting in the bottom of the 4th.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 11, 2018, 08:43:49 PM
UTD is up 8-1, batting in the bottom of the 4th.

Now 12-1...

I think UT Dallas is going to be a little bit of a dark horse in the regional.  After starting 0-4 against the SCIAC they have been pretty solid.  The only hiccups in their season was a sweep at the hands of TLU, and a series loss against Hardin-Simmons.  Assuming they go to the West, they will have played Chapman, Redlands, TLU, and Concordia (who I think has a very good shot at a Pool C).  I also think UTD winning the ASC could open up one of the West teams to go out of region, but that all depends on how the rest of the conference tournaments end up and how many favorites go into Pool C.

alldone

UT Dallas
auto qualifier

what will happen with CTX

UT Tyler
joins LaVerne, trinity, and Centenary

Jack Parkman

Quote from: alldone on May 11, 2018, 10:02:05 PM
UT Dallas
auto qualifier

what will happen with CTX

UT Tyler
joins LaVerne, trinity, and Centenary

Whatever happens I sure wouldn't want to be on any of the Pool C teams having to wait this out.  Trinity and Centenary are done, we will see what happens to CTX because that was a really bad showing against UTD.  I would love to be a fly on the wall during the NCAA call on Sunday.

Mike Lehman

SCIAC: Chapman
SCAC: Texas Lutheran
NWC: Willamette
ASC: UT - Dallas
LAST 2 TBD  ??? ???

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Mike Lehman on May 11, 2018, 11:50:06 PM
LAST 2 TBD  ??? ???
Redlands

non-West Region team

BigPoppa

LAST 2 TBD  ??? ???

I can see a WIAC team being flown in.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

TexasBB

Good to see UTD win and get a regional birth. They have not been there in a while. The ASC was competitive this year with no dominant teams but good balance. CTX, UTD and UTT were all fairly equal. I believe UTD won 4 out of 5 against CTX this year. CTX won 4 out of 6 against UTT an UTT won 2 out of 3 from UTD.  Who was hot at the end decided it and UTD got hot at the right time. 

Mike Lehman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on May 11, 2018, 11:57:12 PM
LAST 2 TBD  ??? ???
Redlands

non-West Region team
I think you got it

Jack Parkman

Great to see the West get 3 Pool C teams.  I believe that speaks volumes on the national stage as three of the past five National Champs have come from the West.  It will be very interesting to see what UT Tyler can do in a different region.  Everything else in the West played out as expected, and there are some very, very good games right off the bat in Spokane.  Safe travels and good luck to all.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Jack Parkman on May 14, 2018, 07:40:49 AM
Great to see the West get 3 Pool C teams.  I believe that speaks volumes on the national stage as three of the past five National Champs have come from the West.  It will be very interesting to see what UT Tyler can do in a different region.  Everything else in the West played out as expected, and there are some very, very good games right off the bat in Spokane.  Safe travels and good luck to all.
Absolutely!

All 4 Pool A bids in the West Region went to teams that were #3 seeds in the conference tourneys!  That is balance.

dp643

Can someone chime in with the Pool C criteria and how CTX, UTT matched up with Trinity in that regard (maybe Ralph)? Im still a little perplexed at how Trinity got behind them in the regional rankings. Trinity was still 4-2 against the three playoff teams from the west, despite their slow finish.