UAA 2018

Started by WUPHF, June 09, 2018, 09:06:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flying Weasel

Quote from: WUPHF on September 18, 2018, 01:34:43 PMIncidentally, I am going to say it here, I think Washington University Women's Soccer team turns the tide on Chicago this season and wins the league.

Does any tide need to be turned?  WashU beat Chicago last year and tied for first with them with WashU taking the UAA automatic berth.  In 2016, WashU defeated Chicago and won the UAA outright and went on to claim the national title.  In 2015 WashU beat Chicago and ended up in a first place tie with Carnegie Mellon and took the automatic berth on their way to the national final.  WashU has beaten Chicago the past seven seasons, last losing to the Maroons in 2010.

WUPHF

For some reason, I was thinking that Chicago defeated Washington University in the postseason.  In Chicago but not against Chicago.  I stand corrected.

4samuy

Yeah. The WashU women have and will continue, IMHO, continue to have the upper hand on Chicago. I would guess that last year, Chicago was quite relieved that WashU bowed out in the sweet sixteen.  Chicago has brought in a nice first year class, but they lost an awful lot of punch to graduation.  They still have the opportunity to make another deep run this year, as does WashU, but WashU just seems to have their number.

WUPHF

I take back what I said about turning the tide. I am sure I could have found a better way to say what I meant even if Chicago had knocked them out of the tourney.

But to my point, Chicago was undefeated and ranked No.1 going in to that last game of the regular season. The Washington University win was considered an upset. Chicago was still ranked higher after the loss.

Is reassessing themselves as the higher ranked team turning the tide?  I guess not.  But that was my point.  I should have skipped the cliche.

The Washington University men almost dropped their match against Fontbonne tonight. They finally got a goal with two minutes left and the another in OT to win 3-2.

Buck O.

Quote from: WUPHF on September 18, 2018, 10:31:20 PM
I take back what I said about turning the tide. I am sure I could have found a better way to say what I meant even if Chicago had knocked them out of the tourney.

But to my point, Chicago was undefeated and ranked No.1 going in to that last game of the regular season. The Washington University win was considered an upset. Chicago was still ranked higher after the loss.

Is reassessing themselves as the higher ranked team turning the tide?  I guess not.  But that was my point.  I should have skipped the cliche.

The Washington University men almost dropped their match against Fontbonne tonight. They finally got a goal with two minutes left and the another in OT to win 3-2.

True.  But WashU dominated the game.  Fontbonne scored on its only two chances, the first of which was truly an excellent strike.  Sometimes it happens.  Fortunately, WashU was able to pull out the W.

More generally, I've seen parts or all of each of their games, and I think WashU has been the better team in each game, except perhaps for DePauw, which I think was pretty even. (It was hard to see, given the weather in Greencastle that night and the fact that DePauw may have placed its camera in Indianapolis.)  So I'm not nearly as down on them as you seem to be, as I don't think that the record really reflects their play.

WUPHF

I definitely agree that Washington University has been the better team in every game I have watched (I did not see the games against DePauw).  I like this team a lot.  I guess I am a little down because it is getting more difficult to see a way through the UAA blood bath that results in a postseason.

WUPHF

Quote from: Buck O. on September 18, 2018, 11:18:51 PM
Fontbonne scored on its only two chances, the first of which was truly an excellent strike. 

Fontbonne extracted the footage of both of their goals.

If others have yet to see them and were curious, definitely worth watching.

https://twitter.com/FBUGriffins/status/1042244671764942848
https://twitter.com/FBUGriffins/status/1042244718866980866

Gregory Sager

It seems a little weird to hear Jay's voice on another school's Twitter feed.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

WUPHF

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 20, 2018, 04:32:29 PM

The technology to do this has obviously been around for a while, but I feel like I am seeing these a lot more this year.  Just wait until the other CCIW schools are posting clips with your voice.

Buck O.

Quote from: WUPHF on September 20, 2018, 03:44:38 PM
Quote from: Buck O. on September 18, 2018, 11:18:51 PM
Fontbonne scored on its only two chances, the first of which was truly an excellent strike. 

Fontbonne extracted the footage of both of their goals.

If others have yet to see them and were curious, definitely worth watching.

https://twitter.com/FBUGriffins/status/1042244671764942848
https://twitter.com/FBUGriffins/status/1042244718866980866

And just to clarify, the shot that I was calling an excellent strike is the second link above, although it was the first Fontbonne goal.

I think the other goal was a cross that went in by accident, as I think it's unlikely that he actually meant to do that.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: WUPHF on September 20, 2018, 05:54:28 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 20, 2018, 04:32:29 PM

The technology to do this has obviously been around for a while, but I feel like I am seeing these a lot more this year.  Just wait until the other CCIW schools are posting clips with your voice.

Yeah, that would seem extremely strange.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr.Right

Tufts defeats Brandeis 2-1 last night. Besides the first 10 minutes, I thought Brandeis was completely in the game. I would venture to say that Brandeis had more dangerous chances in the game as Tufts GK Mieth had to make a couple great saves. The issue was they came out asleep especially in the back and did not wake up until 10 minutes into the game when they were down 2-0. I thought they created more dangerous chances than Tufts did but just did not finish them. This game summarized Brandeis 2 problems they have had to start the year. 1. Finishing the chances they create. 2. Sloppy mistakes in the back that lead to goals for opponents. IMO this Brandeis side is not that far off and really have not dropped off in talent this year but they MUST clean up those two issues I mentioned previously. More than likely now they will have to win the UAA which is a real tough ask but not impossible. 3 of their first 4 UAA games are at Home. They do travel to CMU as the lone Away match in between those three Home games. The 2nd to last weekend is when they travel to Chicago and Wash U. If they can get to Chicago with a 3-0-1 record they will be right in the hunt. The UAA is VERY strong this year and I could see teams beating each other up this season. Even NYU looks like they have improved. Every game will be a battle so if Brandeis can start finishing and clean up the carelessness in the back and in net I think they will be right there.

4samuy

Chicago's Matthew Koh is really having a fantastic season.  Koh's 2 goals and 1 assist in tonites 3-1 win at Elmhurst, gives Koh 11 goals and 6 assists (28 pts) in the pre conference slate.  Could 2 losses win the UAA? It's gonna be fun!

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

DagarmanSpartan

Pat,

Sorry.

Wrong link!

Meant to post this!

https://athletics.case.edu/sports/msoc/2018-19/releases/20180926wwhq0i

Removed the other post!

Case just beat #7 Kenyon 3-0!!!  Top 25...........here we come!