BB: 2012 West Regional

Started by CrashDavisD3, December 16, 2011, 09:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrashDavisD3

Where will 2012 be?   When this be announced?

Past Regional Sites

2011 Abilene, TX (McMurry)
2010 McMinnville, OR (Linfield)
2009 McMinnville, OR (Linfield)
2008 Abilene, TX(McMurry)
2007 Orange, CA(Chapman)
2006 Orange, CA(Chapman)
2005 Orange, CA(Chapman)
2004 Orange, CA(Chapman)
2003 Orange, CA(Chapman)

This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."
Crash Davis Bio - http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/minors/crash0908.html

108 Stitches

I am new to D3 baseball and thought it was awarded based on performance. I went back and looked at McMurray's record and based on last years record, this could not have been the case. I do know you have to have the facilities to support a regional. I am hoping (maybe foolishly) that Trinity (Tx) actually does their field improvements so they can host one in a couple of years. 

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: 108 Stitches on December 16, 2011, 11:15:28 AM
I am new to D3 baseball and thought it was awarded based on performance. I went back and looked at McMurray's record and based on last years record, this could not have been the case. I do know you have to have the facilities to support a regional. I am hoping (maybe foolishly) that Trinity (Tx) actually does their field improvements so they can host one in a couple of years. 
In recent years performance/record were not part of the criteria. In recent years it is rewarded to team/location based upon some of the following criteria.

1) Facilties - Must have lights and enclosed press box
2) School/Team must bid on it with the NCAA. It takes time/money/people to host a Regional.

With these criteria above only a few programs can host a regional in the West.
This... is a simple game. You throw the ball. You hit the ball. You catch the ball.  "There are three types of baseball players: those who make things happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happened."

108 Stitches

I am aware of the facility requirements, I also think there is some minimum seating in addition to lights and pressbox. Given two bids however I would imagine the NCAA would give preference to the higher seeded team. I would assume that these sites would not be picked until the end of the season, just like it is in D1 ball.

CrashDavisD3

Since 2007 in D3 Baseball all sites are determined before the season starts based upon the teams that put bids and the sites meet NCAA requirements. As you will find D1 and D3 are not the same come playoff time. A team could get a site and not even make the West Regional like McMurry in 2011.

There is a very limited number of sites in the West that can host regionals based upon the NCAA requirements and the school must submit a bid to host also. 

CTX in Austin has a nice site that could host with a new field, lights, enclosed press box, covered seating and team made the regionals in 2011 also.

El Hombre

Quote from: 108 Stitches on December 16, 2011, 03:51:38 PM
I am aware of the facility requirements, I also think there is some minimum seating in addition to lights and pressbox. Given two bids however I would imagine the NCAA would give preference to the higher seeded team. I would assume that these sites would not be picked until the end of the season, just like it is in D1 ball.

108 Stitches -
As an FYI, the site for the NCAA West Regional has been announced in January for the last two seasons.  Therefore, I would anticipate the same for 2012. 

Some other thoughts . . .
Having attended the West Regional the last two seasons, I must commend Linfield and McMurry for the outstanding work they did as hosts.  Great job and great facilities!  However, given the wide scope the West Region covers, I believe the most practical location is Southern California. 

First of all, since the NCAA is always concerned with travel costs, CA allows for easier travel for teams from as far as the Northwest or Texas and Mississippi.  There are plenty of flights options given that there are 5 airports within a 50-mile radius of each other, plus plenty of hotel accommodations near every potential location.  As a contrast, the challenges for Mississippi College, Texas-Tyler, and Trinity traveling to McMinnville, OR in 2010 was quite a task, with multiple airline connections, buses, etc.  Plus, the hotel availability was limited, forcing teams to drive 25 - 30 miles each day from Salem.

The second considerable factor in favor of Southern CA is the weather.  For those in attendance in 2010 in Oregon, the weather was horrible for playing baseball.  It was very cold with constant, heavy rain.  However, the NCAA rules demanded that the games be played.  I do not know if there were any injuries as a result of the wet field conditions, cold weather, etc.  However, that is always a concern, especially for the pitchers which can see increased innings in the post season tournaments and regional games.

I look forward to the 2012 site being announced in January, as well as buying a ticket to sunny, Southern CA!

CrashDavisD3

The best D3 baseball site in SoCal is Cal Lutheran...Nice stands with overhead, Nice fencing, backstop, press booth, great field, beautiful backdrop with the hills BUT NO LIGHTS !

http://www.redsiron.com/projects.php?page=callutheranbb

Chapman plays in a city park that needs new stands, backstop, fencing and upgrade to the lights, outfield fence and scoreboard. The field is kept in great shape by hard work of many.

108 Stitches

Thanks all for the education. If CTX in Austin puts in a bid I would imagine they would get preference, based on their new field, location etc. I agree on Cal Lu, they just need to get the lights in place. When Chapman hosted last time was it at their field? Seems like another location would get preference because of this. I will see the CTX field in Feb this year, and would love it to be in SoCal so I could just drive. Not sure if my son's team will have the horsepower to get their this year, but it would be convenient.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: 108 Stitches on December 17, 2011, 12:34:48 PM
Thanks all for the education. If CTX in Austin puts in a bid I would imagine they would get preference, based on their new field, location etc. I agree on Cal Lu, they just need to get the lights in place. When Chapman hosted last time was it at their field? Seems like another location would get preference because of this. I will see the CTX field in Feb this year, and would love it to be in SoCal so I could just drive. Not sure if my son's team will have the horsepower to get their this year, but it would be convenient.
Chapman uses its home field as the site of the tourney and the site qualifies for the sake of the NCAA.

There are Community facilities, minor league fields, etc.,  that have been used in the past for other regions.

McMurry was supposed to have 2007, but the forecast was for an entire week of showers that week, and it was changed to Chapman "at the last minute".

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: CDD3 on December 16, 2011, 09:10:51 AM
Where will 2012 be?   When this be announced?
Would McMurry get it for 3 of last 5 years?

Regional Sites

2012 Abilene, TX (McMurry) ? ? ? ? ?
2011 Abilene, TX (McMurry)
2010 McMinnville, OR (Linfield)
2009 McMinnville, OR (Linfield)
2008 Abilene, TX(McMurry)
2007 Orange, CA(Chapman)
2006 Orange, CA(Chapman)
2005 Orange, CA(Chapman)
2004 Orange, CA(Chapman)
2003 Orange, CA(Chapman)

playball

The problem I saw with MCMurrays field was that the ground was hard as rock and the grass was very uneven.  Nice facility otherwise with amazing weather.  Just would like to see games determined by actual talent and not Texas league chopper hits due to field conditions

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: playball on December 18, 2011, 08:38:50 PM
The problem I saw with MCMurrays field was that the ground was hard as rock and the grass was very uneven.  Nice facility otherwise with amazing weather.  Just would like to see games determined by actual talent and not Texas league chopper hits due to field conditions
Chapman infield is in excellent shape along with the pitching mound at Hart Park in Orange, CA due to the hard work of many(players, coaching staff). 

Hart Park does need an upgrade for its stands, fences, backstop, dugouts, lights, scoreboard as compared to McMurry, Linfield, Cal Lu, and now CTX... I don't see Chapman getting a regional back before CTX...

Ralph Turner

Was that in 2011?  The drought really played havoc with the infield last year.  McMurry pours the water to that thing and the field was designed by Jim Anglea (who was the field superintendent for the Texas Rangers about a decade ago) to handle west Texas summers and annual ranfalls of 24 inches.

Of course, AstroTurf/FieldTurf would be brutal in Abilene TX!

CrashDavisD3

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 19, 2011, 06:44:23 PM
Was that in 2011?  The drought really played havoc with the infield last year.  McMurry pours the water to that thing and the field was designed by Jim Anglea (who was the field superintendent for the Texas Rangers about a decade ago) to handle west Texas summers and annual ranfalls of 24 inches.

Of course, AstroTurf/FieldTurf would be brutal in Abilene TX!
Turf would be 120+ degrees during the hot days...

CTX has turf in Austin...

CrashDavisD3

Based upon preseason polls here is what the West looks like before the 2012 has begun:

West Region Preseason Rankings
Chapman, CA (37-13)
Linfield, OR (33-11) 
Redlands, CA (30-13) 
Texas-Tyler 33-8 
Trinity, TX (34-13),
California Lutheran (25-15)
George Fox, OR (23-13),
Pomona-Pitzer, CA (27-12)
La Verne, CA (25-14)

Chapman will plays Linfield, Redlands, Trinity, Cal Lu, Pomona, La Verne and George Fox add in Kean from the East and Chapman plays several teams from the Preseason rankings..along with Pac Lu, Ithaca--unranked teams that have had great programs and teams in the past.Add NAIA team Pt Loma which has been to a couple of NAIA World Series.

A really tough schedule. It may be the toughest schedule they have ever played  :-X :-X

Chapman will need replacements for their #2 pitcher, starting catcher and 2B....2011 Seniors in these positions were all region players..

Senior catcher Adam Kordich ABCA All-West Region second team. Kordich finished his final year leading the Panthers in home runs (6) and doubles (9) and OBP (.433). He went 53 for 175 (.303) and scored 31 runs. Defensively, he cut down 22 base runners trying to steal.

ABCA All-West Region third team players from Chapman included RHP Jordan Sigman (8-3, 3.34 ERA, 62 K, 91.2 IP) and Tyler Hadzinsky (.331 BA, 55H, 25 R, 9 2B, 30 RBIs). His BA was the best for Chapman and he had 16 stolen bases in 18 attempts