Top 25 talk

Started by Lurker, March 23, 2005, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sac

Quote from: NEPAFAN on October 27, 2017, 03:13:23 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 27, 2017, 02:38:06 PM
Quote from: ronk on October 27, 2017, 02:08:11 PM
1st game of the season tonight - Thomas More vs Kentucky 7 PM on SEC cable network; hopefully, a better outcome than the game against Henry VIII a few seasons ago.

Well not really, ronk, as for neither team does the game actually count. Yes, it is on TV as an exhibition, but let's not call that the first game of the season. :)

::)

Guy who promotes D3 basketball, chucks bucket of cold water. 

Kentucky won in case anyone wonders and the D3 kids (many of whom probably grew up dreaming of playing for Kentucky) had an amazing experience playing one of NCAA basketballs greatest historical programs in Rupp Arena, one of college basketballs great venues.

ronk

Quote from: sac on October 29, 2017, 10:22:53 AM
Quote from: NEPAFAN on October 27, 2017, 03:13:23 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 27, 2017, 02:38:06 PM
Quote from: ronk on October 27, 2017, 02:08:11 PM
1st game of the season tonight - Thomas More vs Kentucky 7 PM on SEC cable network; hopefully, a better outcome than the game against Henry VIII a few seasons ago.

Well not really, ronk, as for neither team does the game actually count. Yes, it is on TV as an exhibition, but let's not call that the first game of the season. :)

::)

Guy who promotes D3 basketball, chucks bucket of cold water. 

Kentucky won in case anyone wonders and the D3 kids (many of whom probably grew up dreaming of playing for Kentucky) had an amazing experience playing one of NCAA basketballs greatest historical programs in Rupp Arena, one of college basketballs great venues.

Yes, it was a game, whether preseason, exhibition, or in-season and I think a highlight for the Thomas More team and fans. I know the highlight of my limited career was playing in the mecca of college basketball(at the time), the U of Penn Palestra in the opening game of a triple-header involving 3 of the Philly Big 5(Temple, St. Joe, and Penn) and seeing how the other half lived. It was even a thrill eating in the Penn athletic dining facility for our pregame meal. ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

I am not trying to throw a bucket of cold water on anything... however, I am realistic that when people make it seem like a real game ... there ends up being a lot of confused people who contact myself or others trying to understand a whole mess of questions. Just trying to keep people within the lines sometimes to help those who we welcome new every year to the division.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 30, 2017, 11:18:59 AM
I am not trying to throw a bucket of cold water on anything... however, I am realistic that when people make it seem like a real game ... there ends up being a lot of confused people who contact myself or others trying to understand a whole mess of questions. Just trying to keep people within the lines sometimes to help those who we welcome new every year to the division.

So if it wasn't a real game, we talkin' bout practice?

Sorry - I couldn't resist
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on October 30, 2017, 03:31:28 PM

So if it wasn't a real game, we talkin' bout practice?

Sorry - I couldn't resist

Well done... used that in a tweet recently, actually. LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Greek Tragedy

Dave posted the women's Top 25, mentioned on fb, and said the men's will be out this week! Yeah!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

sac

Guy holding bucket, claims he didn't do it.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: sac on November 01, 2017, 08:40:50 AM

You can claim that all you want... I know what I was saying.

Flying Dutch Fan

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 01, 2017, 11:30:46 AM

Dave - anytime someone leads off a sentence like that (bolded emphasis is mine) the "however"  and whatever follows is really the same thing as doing what you just said you weren't going to do.  At the very least the "however" implies that....
2016, 2020, 2022 MIAA Pick 'Em Champion

"Sports are kind of like passion and that's temporary in many cases, but academics - that's like true love and that's enduring." 
John Wooden

"Blame FDF.  That's the default.  Always blame FDF."
goodknight

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Flying Dutch Fan on November 01, 2017, 12:25:23 PM
Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 01, 2017, 11:30:46 AM

Dave - anytime someone leads off a sentence like that (bolded emphasis is mine) the "however"  and whatever follows is really the same thing as doing what you just said you weren't going to do.

No... my opening words are an effort to counter. I am not doing something... I am saying such and such. Reverse the wording, same message.

I am realistic that when people make things seem like a real game ... there ends up being a lot of confused people who contact myself or others trying to understand a whole mess of questions. I am not trying to throw a buck of cold water on anything, I am just trying to keep people within the lines sometimes to help those who we welcome new every year to the division.

See what I mean?

KnightSlappy

It depends upon what the meaning of the word "is" is.

sac

that buckets filled with something else now.   ;)

WUPHF

Hey guys, can we get back to basketball?

Too bad that poll is not out yet.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUH on November 01, 2017, 02:40:06 PM
Hey guys, can we get back to basketball?

Too bad that poll is not out yet.

Patience, my friend. Patience. In the preseason, we always release one poll and give it a couple days to breathe on its own before releasing the other. We are on the same timeline as always. Men's is coming. Voting has concluded. It is okay.

sac

preseason polls are meaningless