World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joepieters

Are they going to play a 4-3-3?

4-5-1 would make sense with Sheva up top, Robben and Cole on the wings, and the Ballack, Makelele, and Lampard down the middle.

Good Lord!  That's an allstar team.

I can't say that I'm too broken up about the fact that Gallas is unhappy.

I'd love to see him playing at Emirates Arena this fall!!!!!

gobombers15

Keep in mind that Ashley Cole is still clamoring to be sent to Chelsea. If you check out his page on Wikipedia, apparently there was some ordeal a couple of years ago where he met with Chelsea reps even though he was playing for Arsenal. That would be ridiculous if they get him, too.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

Greek Tragedy

In a preseason friendly with FC Porto, Wayne Rooney got red-carded! lol.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Stinger

Nice work Wayne. Shocker really. The guy looks like he should've gone with the boxing gloves as a career. He's a long way to go. I see Scholes was a culprit was well.

Did anyone read Wahl's interview with Lampard?  http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/grant_wahl/08/03/chelsea.lampard/index.html

Reyes to Madrid? I hope so.  Ship off Graveson back to the EPL and let's have Reyes feeding balls to Robinho and cleaning up his misses.  3 weeks til we get serious.

Enjoy the game tomorrow for those making the journey to chicago.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Chelsea could use Ashley Cole on the back line.  That wouldn't be a bad move.  The only spot they have some semblence of weakness is on the defensive wings.  ACole would be perfect there.

You also have to remember that Abrahimovic is out to win Champs League, Premiership, FA Cup and the Carling Cup to become the first team to win four.  That's a ton of matches, which is why they have so much depth.

I think you'll see Drogba and Sheva switching in and out up front quite a bit.  Robben and JCole both proved to be at their best on the wings in the world cup.  That leaves Ballack and Lampard in the middle.  I think you're more likely to see Makelele and Essien switch off as Mak is getting a bit long in the tooth footballwise.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Browneagle64

I have to say that who ever planned having foreign soccer club's touring the U.S. to showcase their talent has to be praised. I attended the FC Barcelona v.s Chivas game last night in L.A. and loved the atmosphere that it brought out. Truely, this game tapped the heart of LA soccer fans as i brought out close to 95,000 screaming and crazy fans. I just hope that one day MLS can reach as much fan base and have sell out stadiums in the future. This just might be what U.S soccer needs.
"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

joepieters

Happy to report that there was a similar atmosphere in Bridgeport, Illinois Saturday night when Chelsea played the MLS allstars.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: Joe Wally on August 07, 2006, 12:49:22 PM
Happy to report that there was a similar atmosphere in Bridgeport, Illinois Saturday night when Chelsea played the MLS allstars.

With 70,000 less fans.  ;)

Because soccer will never be as big as football, baseball and other sports in the US, I would be content with MLS selling out soccer specific stadiums of 20,000+ fans.  It's much more exciting than watching 20,000 fans sitting in Soldier Field.

Quote from: Hoops Fan on August 07, 2006, 11:02:45 AM
Chelsea could use Ashley Cole on the back line.  That wouldn't be a bad move.  The only spot they have some semblence of weakness is on the defensive wings.  ACole would be perfect there.

Why are you saying anything good about Chelsea? lol.  :P
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Browneagle64

That is so true. That was one of the reasons why the L.A. galaxy moved from the Rose bowl to the much smaller Home Depot center. After having a large gathering in its first year, fan numbers just started to drop. Still, 20,000 is just sad for the sport of the world.

"Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination."--Vin Scully

"I don't really care," he said with an impish smile. "It's all about the Dodgers. I don't think anyone really watches hockey anymore.".....Tiger Woods

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I don't think 20,000 is bad at all.  There are a decent number of baseball teams that can't draw that many, even with a much larger fan base.  Besides, few of the stadiums in Europe are much larger.  You can't judge MLS against the EPL, because their attendance dwarfs everyone else's to begin with.  ManU has the 70,000 seat stadium that sells out and 19 of the 20 teams averaged at least 20,000 last year.  However, only half the teams in Spain and Italy were over 20,000; Germany got a boost from all the new construction needed for the World Cup; France only has 8 teams over 20,000; Holland only has four.

We compare MLS to the Scotish and Belgian leagues and they only have two teams each with facilities big enough to hold significantly more than 20,000.  Most Euro clubs outside the Champs League elite have a capacity between 20 and 30 thousand.  Our stadiums and attendance are pretty close in line with those of comparable leagues in Europe.

Football is a lot like hockey: even if you could sell the seats, you don't want it in an arena of more than 25,000 or so because the view from too far away just sucks.

Browneagle64

Hoops--- You are right about the view if there are about 90,000 + fans at a soccer match. IMHO, the tickets that I bought landed me near the top of the fame L.A coliseum  really sucked compared to viewng. However, the people at the top are always the craziest and rowdy fans that make the atmosphere more exciting. In all, i am still hoping that one day MLS will get the love that other sports around the US get.

Greek Tragedy

You beat me to the punch.  We try to compare MLS to the level or two just below the EPL and our numbers compare or are better than those.  I'd much rather have 20,000 sellout a soccer specific stadium than have 40,000 in a 80,000 NFL stadium.  The atmosphere is a heck of a lot better.  The MLS is on it's way to making a profit with the additions of soccer-specific stadiums where they don't have to pay rent and they get to keep all proceeds. 

We can't fool ourselves and think soccer in this country will ever become the main sport (or even one of the main sports) in the USA or that our league will become one of the top leagues in the world, but I think we'll continue to improve and more and more players will be bought by big clubs who have honed their skills in MLS and that's not a bad thing!
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!

joepieters

Quote from: Old School on August 08, 2006, 08:23:28 PM
We can't fool ourselves and think soccer in this country will ever become the main sport (or even one of the main sports) in the USA or that our league will become one of the top leagues in the world, but I think we'll continue to improve and more and more players will be bought by big clubs who have honed their skills in MLS and that's not a bad thing!

I don't know, Old School. Fifteen years ago who would have thought NASCAR would be where it is today, and as everyone who has ever trumpeted the growth of soccer says, the grass roots are there in the States.  I'd love to see it. I just hope that the MLS doesn't implement the proverbial "glowing puck" to try and make it happen.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Yeah, NASCAR growth has been impressive, outrageous, and entirely stupid.  But they did not have to compete with a dozen gigantically popular leagues overseas.

Greek Tragedy

Eric and Eric are in for Mike and Mike today (Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN Radio)...as in, Eric Casillias and ERIC WYNALDA.

Eric asked Wynalda what he would rather have, an EPL championship with Liverpool or being in the Hall of Fame.  He immediately picked the EPL championship.  About five minutes later, he flip flopped claiming Casillias "threw him off" or something like that. 

The basic broad sports question is would a player rather win the Stanley Cup, the Super Bowl, World Series etc or be in the respective Hall of Fame.

In soccer, it's a little different.  Is there a "World/FIFA" Hall of Fame?  I think I'd take an EPL championship with Manchester United over being in the U.S. Soccer Hall of Fame. 

If we're comparing an MLS championship with the U.S. Soccer Hall of Fame, then I'd probably still take the championship.

What are your thoughts?
Pointers
Breed of a Champion

TGHIJGSTO!!!