FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vikes35

Welcone to the board joey and mat,

Joey,
Jaybird pretty much gave the favorites in the conference but for all intensive purposes this is most open CCIW in years, if not ever. There are at least 4 teams that could win conference and the others could knock off any of those teams on any Saturday. Saturday's on the CCIW fields are going to be dogfights no matter who plays who. Jaybird couldn't have said it better, going to have to bring the A game every weekend.

79jaybird

Going into the season I am going to put heavy focus on two major statistics.  1) Time of Possession 2) Turnovers  I think every game is going to be decided by one of these factors. 
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Mugsy

All,
The 2005 roster for Wheaton College has just been posted:

http://www.wheaton.edu/Athletics/football/index.html

A few things to note about the roster:
1) 92 players total (not 100% sure if this is complete)

2) State by state breakdown of recruiting class:

StateNumber of Recruits
Illinois7
Texas6
California4
Pennsylvania3
Georgia2
Minnesota2
Ohio1
Louisiana1
Colorado1
North Carolina1
Hawaii1
Oklahoma1
Michigan1
Washington1
Missouri1

3) Local (or somewhat local) recruits
Alex Pokorny, QB - Geneva, IL
Pete Ittersagen, CB - Wheaton North (transfer from Butler U.)
Dave Lindberg, CB - Wheaton North
Jeff Root, DE - Wheaton North (unless I'm mistaken, son of former RB coach)
Brett Barnett, DL - Wheaton-Warrenville South
Matt Bradley, WR - Wheaton North (transfer from Carthage)
Mike Ford, WR - St. Charles West
Dan Svendsen, WR - Thorton-Fractional South

4) Other recruits who standout on paper (but we'll see on the field)
Stephen Franz, OL 6-2 303lbs Hawaii
Steve Joslin, OL 6-2 292lbs Newport Beach, CA
Jesse Scott, OL 6-2 307lbs Blossburg, PA
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

masko

Well: I would think that if North Central wants to walk into Augies field cocky - be my guest and be ready for a loss.  I've never been a big fan of Carthage's football team, yet I know they have some great talent, but I would have a hard time putting money against Augie on that one.  Now for Wheaton - always has been a tough foe, they beat one of our best teams quite frankly in the 90's (actualy, was a spanking).  However, look at the scores over the years - I'm talking last min win's for either team. 

I think the Vikings are way over looked - I think they have 11 returning starters and all the running backs....  I just find it hard to believe everyone is taking them lightly? 

matblake

Thanks for the great info Mugsy.   This should be a great season with hopefully a lot of really competitive contests, which is not unusual for the CCIW.

masko

I'm not sure what your list shows regarding Wheaton - I'm not that impressed quite frankly?  I would have to compare the same lists to other schools in the CCIW and I bet you that you would be surprised how narrow that list really is compared to other powerhouse schools like Mt Union, Augie, Ithica, ect...  

Also, I would guarantee Milikin pulls a few upsets as well!  

Mugsy

masko,

My last post was meant to be purely informational.  Over the past few months there have been requests for more information from all schools on recruiting, rosters, etc...  For 90% of D3 schools, I'm not sure the roster by itself is meant to impress.  Just thought there were a few interesting things to pull from the roster - although not much new for Wheaton.

Historically Wheaton's roster comes from all over the country, even from other countries.  It is pretty atypical in comparison to alot of schools.  I was just pointing out this year is no different.  Wheaton, while in Illinois, gets more players from Texas and California than Illinois. 

I don't think comparing Wheaton's roster with Ithaca or Mount Union would do much of anything other than show Ithaca and Mount Union get a higher percentage of players locally and they have much higher number of players.

I don't know how much you know about Wheaton (or many CCIW schools for that matter), but the roster numbers have never been high due to admission requirements.  I won't go into deals here, as I have done so several times to the dismay of the other CCIW posters.  If you want or need more info on what I mean by admission requirements, drop me an email.

Also... I'd point out rosters don't give ANY indication on the quality of the player - just the height and weight.  You can be 6' 9", 350lbs, but so unathletic, passive, etc... that you would never see the field.
Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

Mugsy

masko,
I didn't see your post #33 when I replied.  You obviously know something about the CCIW.  Your mentioning Mount Union, Ithaca threw me...

Anyway... again, the information about Wheaton's roster was just that... information.  It wasn't comprehensive - it only looked at the new recruits, and I didn't intend to make a judgement as to whether it is impressive or not.  That is up to each individual, and regardless of the individual perception, the real validation the the quality will occur on the gridiron (in the case of the freshmen, that may not happen for several years)!

dansand

Augie's roster is up:

http://www.augustana.edu/athletics/football/roster.htm

I'm still worried about their defense. It doesn't look like Barnes brought in much size on the defensive line (not that too many freshman have a big impact right away ). Of the few newcomers that I know anything about, it looks like they're pretty heavily weighted to the offensive side of the ball. It makes me wonder if he'll be converting offensive players to defense, again. Last year, at one point, three of their four defensive backs were converted receivers (Ryne Richardson, Anton Steinhardt, and Tom Anthony). It looks like Anthony is slated for double duty again this year. I still think their defense needs to improve (a lot) for Augie to get back to the top of the CCIW on a regular basis, and I think it's got to start with recruiting defensive players. I hope I'm wrong and there are a bunch of defensive gems in the list of newcomers. They definitely need help in a hurry. I also notice they have a transfer from Bowling Green listed as a kicker. Hopefully he, or someone else, can help ease the loss of Mike Clark. I wonder if any of the Chicago-area posters can give any insights on Sean Conroy, Parker Cleveland, Mike Ferguson, Matt Feece, Tim Podulka or any of the other Chicagoland newcomers.  I think the ones I named are pretty highly thought of. Thanks.

old 40

Augie's QB recruit from Elk Grove is small but very quik. Perfect for their Offense. Also a plus is his punt return ability. I believe his name is Tim Podilka (spelling).  He is small but very quick, good lateral movement, good feet and will need work on his arm strength. Recruited by Aurora and Carthage.

vikes35

Why did Augie recruit a 4 QB's when they already have 4 on the roster? The backup to Roe (McGinnis) is a quality player (as anyone who saw him play his SR season at Alleman can tell you)  who is waiting for his chance and Jensen looked good for the few snaps that he took. That guy out of Elk Grove really is small. 5' 7'' 140 is more common of a FR in high school not college. For a team that gave up a ton of points last season I have to agree with Dan Sand that they didn't bring in  or worry as much about the defense as many might have thought during the off-season. Don't know much about the newcomers yet but some of those guys have size (bigger question do they have the talent and mindset to play).

Dan Sand,

After looking at the roster it looks like Barnes really might try to convert or play some of the guys two ways. With the "depth" at QB (8 right now) maybe he is looking at some of them to fill other spots. What he really needs to do is work on the D-Line. I don't know how many time last year we got to the QB but didn't sack him but it was a lot, and that needs to change if we have any hope of winning the CCIW this year.

RedmenFB44

Hi,
I am looking to continue my football know how since I am no longer eligible to play. I have enjoyed the playful banter that I have read the past four seasons. I am looking forward to the upcoming season and hearing what you all have to say.
GO REDMEN!
It's REDMEN not RED MEN

masko

Well, I do know something about the CCIw - I played for Augie!!!  I mentioned Ithica and MT Union because as I stated in the original message - if you compared other Powerhouse teams (not related to teams only in the CCIW) you would get very comparable numbers.  I know quite a bit about the  Wheaton Crusaders, not much about the Wheaton Thunder (joke)...  I disagree with the notion that most teams have people locally. 

Readiong some of the stuff on Augie, maybe they need to bring back the Domer (Bob Reade)....

CardinalAlum

Masko,

I don't see where NCC would be cocky going into Rock Island.  Thorne will have them ready to play like he did last year.  Best thing that happened to you guys was losing DeGeorge.  NCC has the skill people to win the conference.  I worry about the offensive line and if anything should happen to Kniss.
D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  ** D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **   D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 & 2022  **  D3 National Champions 2019 2022

HughJass

Well what a surprise...Barnes loses more coaches.  I like to hope that Augie has a great season but how many more seasons does Augie have to deal with not making the playoffs before there is a coaching change?