FB: Ohio Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank Rossi

Quote from: Kira & Jaxon's Dad on November 29, 2017, 11:07:50 AM
Quote from: Frank Rossi on November 29, 2017, 11:04:02 AM
Here's the status.  There still was a bench warrant as of this morning until his appearance.  As an attorney, I agree with USTBench fully here.

At the bottom of the image/proceedings it states:

Bench Warrant Cancelled

Correct.  That part about "until his appearance." ;-)

wm4

Quote from: merlecanlas on November 29, 2017, 10:47:41 AM
the world's biggest criminal was in court this morning and everything is ironed out legally.  2 points on the license and $300 in fines.  Lock him up and throw away the key

Shucks, those darn college kids, missing court appointments, again. 

Pat Coleman

Yep, and our story updated to reflect the fact.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

merlecanlas

Quote from: wm4 on November 29, 2017, 11:17:54 AM
the world's biggest criminal was in court this morning and everything is ironed out legally.  2 points on the license and $300 in fines.  Lock him up and throw away the key

hopefully the citizens of Alliance are feeling safer now

miac952

You're nothing, if not consistent.

AO

the world's biggest criminal was in court this morning and everything is ironed out legally. 
except for that whole felony battery thing......

USTBench

Quote from: merlecanlas on November 29, 2017, 11:20:35 AM

Not sure what you're driving at here. I think most reasonable people agree that in the grand scheme of things this isn't the end of the world and he's probably not some menace to society. But he's 18 and setting a dangerous tone for himself. Crimes committed in two states, warrants issued for failure to appear in two states, on those crimes.

The problem is two-fold: (1) He needs to get his life straightened out. I've seen this pattern emerge in many kids his age, and by the time they're 30 they're doing life on the installment plan in various county jails. Two weeks here for a FTA, a few days there for driving under suspension. The lack of reliability and the criminal record starts to affect their employment opportunities and things just devolve from there, criminal convictions from acts of desperation (burglaries, selling drugs). Not a good way to go through one's 20s. (2) In addition to failing himself, his HS coaches and MU coaches have also failed him. If he's never had consequences for his actions in his primary passion, football, why should he believe there would be consequences for his actions in the real world? Hopefully, that has sunk in, but MU needed to establish a precedent for him. They didn't.

I actually hope he doesn't get kicked out of school. But he needs to be suspended from the team (at the very least) and earn his way back on through good conduct and prioritizing being a good citizen. Something tells me that if he gets suspended from the football team, he won't bother earning his way back on it and go home, but I'd like to be proved wrong.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

Ereraider

Why is everyone out to convict this kid without knowing all the facts. Let the process play out. I'm not sure we know only half of the story.

jknezek

Quote from: Ereraider on November 29, 2017, 11:36:39 AM
Why is everyone out to convict this kid without knowing all the facts. Let the process play out. I'm not sure we know only half of the story.

We do know two facts. He's had court ordered appearances twice, and twice he's missed them. Those are important facts.

Frank Rossi

Updated: The points changed a bit.

USTBench

Quote from: Ereraider on November 29, 2017, 11:36:39 AM

There is one affirmative defense to driving under suspension, and that's an emergency. So unless he was running for his life or had someone dying in his backseat that he needed to get to the hospital, the other side of this story was: I felt like it.

The other side of the story to missing a court date is usually: "I forgot" or "I thought it was (insert date here)"

The first excuse I typically buy, the second one is usually a lie.
Augsburg University: 2021 MIAC Spring Football Champions

merlecanlas

Quote from: USTBench on November 29, 2017, 11:34:58 AM
Quote from: merlecanlas on November 29, 2017, 11:20:35 AM

Not sure what you're driving at here. I think most reasonable people agree that in the grand scheme of things this isn't the end of the world and he's probably not some menace to society. But he's 18 and setting a dangerous tone for himself. Crimes committed in two states, warrants issued for failure to appear in two states, on those crimes.

The problem is two-fold: (1) He needs to get his life straightened out. I've seen this pattern emerge in many kids his age, and by the time they're 30 they're doing life on the installment plan in various county jails. Two weeks here for a FTA, a few days there for driving under suspension. The lack of reliability and the criminal record starts to affect their employment opportunities and things just devolve from there, criminal convictions from acts of desperation (burglaries, selling drugs). Not a good way to go through one's 20s. (2) In addition to failing himself, his HS coaches and MU coaches have also failed him. If he's never had consequences for his actions in his primary passion, football, why should he believe there would be consequences for his actions in the real world? Hopefully, that has sunk in, but MU needed to establish a precedent for him. They didn't.

I actually hope he doesn't get kicked out of school. But he needs to be suspended from the team (at the very least) and earn his way back on through good conduct and prioritizing being a good citizen. Something tells me that if he gets suspended from the football team, he won't bother earning his way back on it and go home, but I'd like to be proved wrong.

His crimes are hazing (which nobody on here knows a single detail about the case) and speeding without a valid license (also, nobody knows the details of that license).  I will be incredibly honest with all of you, because I feel this is a safe place.  I have driven my car faster than the posted speed limit on a couple of occasions and when I was in high school, I hazed younger students.  I am not proud of either action, but they have happened. 

Mr Fulford should have absolutely been in court on Monday morning, but apparently it is not a huge deal in the eyes of the Stark County courts.  There was a previous Mount Union QB who is held in tremendous regard with Raider and D3 fans who was arrested in Alliance and I don't recall a huge deal being made on d3football.com or the boards.  Kids make mistakes

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

How do you think it wasn't a big deal to Stark County Courts? The judge throw a bench warrant on him for not showing up. That is a big deal. That is now court record.

Nosw, the speeding tickets aren't necessarily a big deal, but the speeding is what got him in bigger trouble. The speeding revealed the suspended license, the missed court date on what appears to be a significant case (due to the fact he had a warrant and an extradition order), and it revealed that he has two outstanding speeding tickets both of which he signed paperwork about paying and hasn't paid a dime (over $500 in fines combined).

No the speeding a few weeks ago is a drop in the bucket... but that isn't the issue, actually.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

wm4

Looks bad when a young man can't remember court dates, but has no trouble remembering kickoff time.  This is a great opportunity (again) for teaching this young man about priorities and responsibilities, and Mount is in the driver's seat to do so here.  I hope he stays on the team, I hope he stays at Mount, and I hope he learns from this, but he has no business playing football right now. 

WRMUalum13

Has anyone read the updated story? Fulfords attorney said the ticket stated that he didn't need to appear in court. It was a misunderstanding, and has now been resolved.