FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Augie6

Quote from: Pat Coleman on December 29, 2019, 03:25:56 AM
Quote from: markerickson on December 28, 2019, 11:40:06 PM
I did not fact check the announcer during the championship game when he said Greenfield transferred from Indiana State.  The announcer was wrong as the transfer from Indiana State was QB Rutter.  Not sure what your point is as Rutter, the Gagliardi winner, solidifies my position about D1 transfers.  I did not fact check in years past the Mount Union roster when the announcer mentioned during the televised championship games that xxx player transferred from "Ohio State" and other D1 programs.

There definitely was one offensive lineman who transferred from Ohio State. So that's one player in the past 20 years. What else you got for this list?

Their starting quarterback for the 1985 season was a transfer from Ohio State, Scott Woolf.  Does that count? ;) ;D
Augie Football:  CCIW Champions:  1949-66-68-75-81-82-83-84-85-86-87-88-90-91-93-94-97-99-01-05-06     NCAA Champions:  1983-84-85-86

SpartanHouse

Who is next in line to be QB at NCC? What happened to the QB from ISU last year?

They need a transfer right?

New Tradition

Quote from: thunderdog on December 28, 2019, 11:54:41 PM
Clemson RB just spiked the ball after scoring the go-ahead TD vs OSU... and no one said boo. Just sayin'
Screaming at my TV when I saw this.
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

New Tradition

Quote from: BigRedScots on December 29, 2019, 02:30:48 PM
Who is next in line to be QB at NCC? What happened to the QB from ISU last year?

Conor Joyce left. Jake Johnson, high school teammate of Greenfield, will compete for the job. I'll be interesting to see what freshmen or transfers come in and throw their hats in the ring.
I am a NATIONAL Champion, and I refuse to lose!

2015 CCIW Pickem Champ
2015 WIAC Playoff Pickem Champ

robertgoulet

Quote from: New Tradition on December 29, 2019, 03:18:53 PM
Quote from: BigRedScots on December 29, 2019, 02:30:48 PM

Conor Joyce left. Jake Johnson, high school teammate of Greenfield, will compete for the job. I'll be interesting to see what freshmen or transfers come in and throw their hats in the ring.

Will be interesting. Johnson seemed to be on the same level as a couple of the other freshman (the kid from De La Salle and the kid from Rolling Meadows) but separated himself a bit. Joyce would have been the odds on favorite before the season. Competition is wide open.
You win! You always do!

SpartanHouse

I would bet a large sum they will get a nice transfer.

Kovo

Quote from: Augie6 on December 29, 2019, 11:42:52 AM
I did not fact check the announcer during the championship game when he said Greenfield transferred from Indiana State.  The announcer was wrong as the transfer from Indiana State was QB Rutter.  Not sure what your point is as Rutter, the Gagliardi winner, solidifies my position about D1 transfers.  I did not fact check in years past the Mount Union roster when the announcer mentioned during the televised championship games that xxx player transferred from "Ohio State" and other D1 programs.

There definitely was one offensive lineman who transferred from Ohio State. So that's one player in the past 20 years. What else you got for this list?

Their starting quarterback for the 1985 season was a transfer from Ohio State, Scott Woolf.  Does that count? ;) ;D

Maybe I'm missing it.  What is evil about accepting transfers (i.e.. kids who want to go to your school)?  When I was a student at NCC we had lots of transfers, athletes and non-athletes alike, especially from COD and other JUCOs.  My brother, who was not an athlete, transferred to NCC from SIUC and loved it.  I know Ivy league schools don't take transfers because it is beneath them but I don't get the issue for a CCIW school.

USee

Quote from: Kovo on December 30, 2019, 11:25:02 AM

Maybe I'm missing it.  What is evil about accepting transfers (i.e.. kids who want to go to your school)?  When I was a student at NCC we had lots of transfers, athletes and non-athletes alike, especially from COD and other JUCOs.  My brother, who was not an athlete, transferred to NCC from SIUC and loved it.  I know Ivy league schools don't take transfers because it is beneath them but I don't get the issue for a CCIW school.

This is not true. It's rare, but it has happened in both football and basketball (and probably a few other sports) in the Ivy League.

Separately, the transfer option is more prevalent now. The rate of transfers in D1 hasn't changed much over the past 12-14 years but the perception certainly has. I think it's much more commonly accepted for athletes who want to move levels for whatever reason (D1 to D3, or even more rare D3 to D1--see Duncan Robinson). Most of Wheaton's transfers were players they recruited heavily out of high school and those players wanted to try to play at a higher level. When it didn't work out, they remembered who loved them first and take another look. It's become much more common across D3.

Kovo

Quote from: USee on December 30, 2019, 12:10:26 PM
Quote from: Kovo on December 30, 2019, 11:25:02 AM

This is not true. It's rare, but it has happened in both football and basketball (and probably a few other sports) in the Ivy League.

Separately, the transfer option is more prevalent now. The rate of transfers in D1 hasn't changed much over the past 12-14 years but the perception certainly has. I think it's much more commonly accepted for athletes who want to move levels for whatever reason (D1 to D3, or even more rare D3 to D1--see Duncan Robinson). Most of Wheaton's transfers were players they recruited heavily out of high school and those players wanted to try to play at a higher level. When it didn't work out, they remembered who loved them first and take another look. It's become much more common across D3.

Ok.  But, how does that relate to the price of tea in China or anything else for that matter?

kiko

There really isn't an issue -- well, some individuals might have an issue, but that's theirs to work through.  In some instances there is a "penalty". 

- D3 to D1 transfers must sit a year to discourage D1 schools from poaching the best D3 athletes.
- Within the CCIW I believe there is a sit-a-year rule to discourage schools from poaching each other's players.  Jeremy Ireland is the most recent inter-conference transfer who comes to mind for me.

I'm sure there are more arcane rules than these, since this is the NCAA we are talking about, but those are the two on my radar.

Gregory Sager

Transfers do not deserve to be stigmatized. As USee pointed out, transferring is a commonplace now -- and not just for student-athletes, either. According to a 2015 report from the National Student Clearinghouse Research Center, 38 percent of all college students transfer at least once. And a U.S. Department of Education report from last year stated that, among students who begin their academic careers at a four-year institution, fully a quarter of them will transfer to another school. There are myriad reasons why students transfer, and most of them should not cast the students in a bad light. Looking down your nose at a transfer is not only snobbery of the worst kind, it's antiquated snobbery of the worst kind.

North Park was a junior college until the late '50s. As a result of this legacy, the school has made it a point right from the start of its new existence as a four-year school to welcome junior-college transfers not just by refusing to shun them but by actively seeking them out and then helping to make the transition to a four-year school work for them. And, because urban schools have always tended to draw more four-year-school transfers as well, North Park has done the same thing for transfers from other four-year schools right from the start.

NPU has always had lots of transfers in the student body. It's a function of both mission and location. Nobody associated with North Park should ever apologize for it, or cast aspersions upon transfer students in general, regardless of the school. Having said that, I don't think that Mark was pooh-poohing transfer students at all. I think that he was making a rueful and envious comment, whether accurate or not, upon the "rich get richer" aspect of top-notch D3 football programs drawing talent that's departing from D1 schools (whether the transfer football players in question were scholarship holders, walk-ons, or members of programs that don't offer scholarships, such as those in the Pioneer League). I think that the subtext of Mark's comment is that NPU hasn't gotten players like Broc Rutter or Luke Anthony or Patrick O'Connell or Dallas McRae via the D1-transfer route, and I would add that it is not likely that NPU ever will.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: kiko on December 30, 2019, 01:59:45 PM
There really isn't an issue -- well, some individuals might have an issue, but that's theirs to work through.  In some instances there is a "penalty". 

- D3 to D1 transfers must sit a year to discourage D1 schools from poaching the best D3 athletes.

This is true of D3-to-D2 transfers as well.

Quote from: kiko on December 30, 2019, 01:59:45 PM- Within the CCIW I believe there is a sit-a-year rule to discourage schools from poaching each other's players.  Jeremy Ireland is the most recent inter-conference transfer who comes to mind for me.

The CCIW's intra-conference transfer rule can be waived at the discretion of the school from which the transferring student-athlete departs. For instance, after the 2016-17 season the NPU women's basketball team had two of its freshmen transfer to other CCIW schools, Madalyn Murillo to Augustana and Emmy Gryna to Elmhurst. North Park chose to waive the intra-conference transfer rule in Murillo's case but not in Gryna's. That's because Murillo only received garbage time in a couple of games for NPU, and it didn't look as though she was ever going to amount to much as a CCIW player. (She's now Augie's backup center as a senior; as such, she's what baseball types like to euphemistically call a "replacement-value player".) By contrast, Gryna appeared in all 25 of NPU's games as a freshman, including one start, and led the Vikings in scoring in three of them. Her ceiling as a CCIW player was clearly a lot higher than Murillo's, so the intra-conference transfer rule was invoked in her case. (After sitting out a year as required, she had a desultory 2018-19 season for the Bluejays as a backup guard and did not return to the team this season.)

Given this, I'm pretty sure that the decision whether or not to invoke the rule was left up to the head coach, in this case NPU's head women's basketball coach Amanda Crockett. At other CCIW schools the AD might make the decision to invoke or waive the intra-conference transfer rule him- or herself, rather than allowing the coach in question to make it.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

SpartanHouse

Quote from: Gregory Sager link=topic=4077.msg1970502#msg1970502 date=

/quote]

This is true of D3-to-D2 transfers as well.

This is not accurate. You are allowed to transfer from D3 up to D2 once w no penalty.

markerickson

One RUMOR regarding Bosko's firing by President David Horner was that the coach who had been part of five national championships started dipping into the DI transfer pool too much.  It has been a long time, but I think there was three consecutive seasons where NPC had a different starting PG who was a DI transfer.  One came from U of Maine or Vermont.  Long ago...  I do recall an inconsistent senior forward and tremendous dunking machine, Tracy Nicholson, transferred to NPC from above during Bosko's tenure after the '87 championship.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: markerickson on December 30, 2019, 11:05:12 PM
One RUMOR regarding Bosko's firing by President David Horner was that the coach who had been part of five national championships started dipping into the DI transfer pool too much.  It has been a long time, but I think there was three consecutive seasons where NPC had a different starting PG who was a DI transfer.  One came from U of Maine or Vermont.  Long ago...  I do recall an inconsistent senior forward and tremendous dunking machine, Tracy Nicholson, transferred to NPC from above during Bosko's tenure after the '87 championship.

It was a false rumor. The three consecutive transfers were PG Danny James (Alabama-Birmingham) in 1989-90, SG (not PG) Carlos Harris (Northeastern Illinois) in 1990-91, and PG Chuckie Murphy (DePaul) in 1991-92. Murphy graduated in '92, two years prior to Bosko getting sacked. North Park had no D1 transfers during those last two seasons, as James, Jones, and Murphy were the only three D1 transfers Bosko ever had during his ten years as NPC's head coach. (Tracy Nicholson was not a D1 transfer. He came to NPC from Southern Illinois-Edwardsville, which was a D2 school at the time.)