CCIW

Started by Fawkes316, July 10, 2006, 01:18:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fawkes316

The CCIW has been dominated by Wheaton, since its first season of sponsoring women's soceer back in 1995.  Head Coach Pete Felske's program has gone 73-2 over those 11 seasons in the regular season. Wheaton is also 6-0 in CCIW Tournament play, which has been in existance for three seasons.

Wheaton has been in the NCAA tournament for 9 consecutive seasons. They reached the Elite 8 in 1998 and 2000, the Final Four in 2001, and defeated the University of Puget Sound, 2-1 in penalty kicks, for the 2004 National Championship.

Fawkes316

But the rest of the conference is getting better. Last year, Augie and IWU went to the NCAA tournament as  at-large bids. It should be a good season again this year.

pcarr

Don't forget that the Red Sox and Patriots stink.
Wheaton Thunder soccer: '08 Women's Runners-up. '07 Women's Champions. '06 Women's Champions.  '06 Men's Runners-up. '04 Women's Champions.

Fawkes316

Paul-I seem to remember a long ago bus ride to a Wheaton soccer match, when I predicted the Patriots would win the Super Bowl and you told me I was crazy. They went on to win 3 out of 4, but who's counting?

Jim Matson

Wheaton over Fredonia 6-0 in today's Baptista invite.  Nice!
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com

Jim Matson

Wheaton over Loras 4-1.

Jim Matson

In the biggest win for Wheaton in 2 years, the Thunder takes down #4 ranked TCNJ 3-2 in 2 overtimes.

Jim Matson

The first NCAA regional rankings are out and posted in the Central Region Rankings area.  This poll is the only one to use when wondering about Pool B and Pool C candidates.

Jim Matson

Unofficial CCIW Tourney line-ups:

1. Wheaton........6-1-0...15-2-0 (18 points)
2. Augustana.....5-0-2...13-1-2 (17 points)
3. Carthage........4-1-1...12-4-1
3. Wesleyan.......4-1-1...10-5-2

Wheaton wins it and will host the #4 spot next Wednesday and Augie takes second and will host the #3 spot next Wednesday.

Carthage and Wesleyan play for the final two spots on Saturday.

Fawkes316

Wheaton hosts Carthage tonight at 7pm and Augustana hosts Illinois Wesleyan also at 7.

The Championship match will be Saturday at 4:30 pm in Wheaton, since the Wheaton men are the highest remaining seed.

Must be rather frustrating for Augustana to beat Wheaton, not lose another game, and still not win the conference. Wheaton was fortunate to win its 12 straight championship after Augustana had two ties late in the season.  On the other hand, Wheaton has the talent, as they showed against the College of New Jersey, to go deep in the NCAA tournament.

Fawkes316

Wheaton won the CCIW Tourney and AQ with a somewhat lackluster performance on Saturday. It wasn't pretty, but Augie is a good team and Wheaton came away with a victory. I expect that Wheaton will host a regional next weekend, when the pairings are announced tomorrow. I also think that Augie will get an at-large bid as they did last year. In fact, last year 3 CCIW teams made the tourney, so it's possible that Illinois Wesleyan might have an outside chance.

WLCALUM83

Augie did get in, IL Wesleyan did not:

Fawkes316

Wheaton will play Aurora at Joe Bean Stadium on Friday at 5 pm. Macalester takes on DePauw in the second game. Wheaton beat Aurora 5-0 earlier in the season and DePauw 3-0 in Greencastle. However, Wheaton is only 3-9-1 all-time against Macalester including a 2-1 loss last season.

Augie will play Grinnell on Friday at Eau Claire

Jim Matson

Wheaton 2, Aurora 0.

Wheaton plays the DePauw/Macalester winner on Monday at 11:00.

WLCALUM83

Between UW-Eau Claire, Wheaton, IL, Washington-St. Louis and Hardin-Simmons, who figures to go the farthest yet?