MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

haterinthehouse

Blackburn falls at Knox. Ugly. 35 TOs. Undisciplined and selfish. Worst part, I'm sure they are all blaming someone else instead of looking in the mirror and the College doesn't care anyway. Ashamed to be associated with this program

Denny McKinney

WUH - I don't think anything is learned or enjoyed in getting blowed out. This team is trying to find themselves before the conference season starts. This game did nothing to help them, except maybe conditioning. Don't know what this has to do with my JV views.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Denny McKinney on November 24, 2015, 09:25:42 PM
Augie is a very good team. But, I'd have a hard time watching their coach's antics. Up 30 and losing his mind every every whistle. Some might even find it entertaining. ??? ;D ;D

Quite a few years ago Augie was playing at Webster. There was a gentleman in the stands who was all over the officials every time they made a call against Augie. I know one spectator (not me) who got very upset at him. Turns out that the gentleman doing all the complaining was the father of Augie's head coach. Like father like son I guess. Also turns out that the dad was apparently some kind of legendary Illinois high school coach. I guess behavior doesn't matter as long as your team wins games.

Denny McKinney

Haha. Yjak. Your probably right. I shouldn't be throwing bricks inside my glass house.  ;D

y_jack_lok

Quote from: Denny McKinney on November 24, 2015, 10:30:50 PM
Haha. Yjak. Your probably right. I shouldn't be throwing bricks inside my glass house.  ;D

None of what I said was written with you in mind Denny. All coaches complain about calls (and often rightly so), but I don't think I ever saw your dad go overboard with his complaints -- and certainly not if he was winning by 30. I've seen a few Augie games online over the last few year and I know what you mean about how their coach reacts to calls. It's frequently way over-dramatized.

hopefan

The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

Denny McKinney

Yjak, I didn't take your comments has intended for me. Just my own chuckle. My first experience watching Augie. I just was not expecting that. They are a very talented team.

Enjoyed watching FU's Smith break a sweat for the first time. The Kid is very Big. Could be a hand full in the conference play. Also, Orkan Bakis is out for the season. Foot injury.

hopefan

Quote from: haterinthehouse on November 24, 2015, 10:04:18 PM
Blackburn falls at Knox. Ugly. 35 TOs. Undisciplined and selfish. Worst part, I'm sure they are all blaming someone else instead of looking in the mirror and the College doesn't care anyway. Ashamed to be associated with this program

I checked the box... you're correct... 35 turnovers... that is just silly....against a team that isn't very good... good luck vs Greenville....

y_jack_lok

hopefan

Greenville scores 138 in running over Lincoln Christian.. still without Ehrsmann and Greene

Spalding crushed by Hanover.. very disappointing

Blackburn beat by Knox... more disappointing

Principia beat badly by Millikin... Larry Patterson doesn't play?... even more diappointing

Fontbonne down to Augie, though they actually outscored Augie's subs in the second half.... expected

formersliaccommish

WUH, who is usually right on the mark with his Posts, painted a slightly inaccurate picture of who Washington University played back in the day. WU did play all of the rinky-dink teams that he listed due to WW2 but in the years between 1946 and 1959 under Blair Gullion they played a Who's Who of college basketball.

Actually Coach Gullion and Chancellor Arthur Holly Compton started the "no athletic scholarships" program that is now embraced by over 400 D3 schools plus the Ivy League. The only difference is that WU took a bunch of local kids and played Kentucky, Iowa, Louisville, San Francisco ('55 and '56 NCAA champions), Illinois, Kansas, Michigan, Loyola of Chicago ('63 NCAA champions), Arizona, and Texas Western (now UTEP and '66 NCAA champion) etc. pretty even and occasionally defeated them. Prior to that WU was in the Missouri Valley Conference and regularly played Missouri, and the other teams in that conference. One of the best players was Des Lee, grandfather of NBA All-Star David Lee, and someone who has given hundreds of millions of dollars to WU, UMSL, and other local and regional schools. The book WUH referred to makes interesting reading and is available on WU's website.

Now they are a D3 juggernaut who will never go anywhere except where they are now. If they make any move, it will be to D1. They have smarter administrators than Maryville.

WUPHF

Westminster has obviously been playing basketball for a long time.  They must have an interesting history, even if it is by playing the Lincoln Institute, North Missouri Normal College and other members of the Missouri Intercollegiate Athletic Association. 

I believe Westminster was a founding member of the MIAA as just about every college or university in the state that fielded varsity sports was in the MIAA or Missouri Valley.

WUPHF

This may have been discussed, but it is not exactly SLIAC basketball, so maybe not, but it looks like Lindenwood hired a former Webster coach to replace Brad Soderberg.

Coach Randall has UW-Stevens Point roots as well and was the head coach at Webster.  Apparently, he engineered the best turnaround in NCAA history according to the Lindenwood biography: http://www.lindenwoodlions.com/staff.aspx?staff=340

Randall is not a newcomer to the St. Louis area. In 1997, he was hired as the head coach of the Webster University Gorlocks. He took over a team that went 2-23 the year before he got there and then turned them into conference champions and NCAA contenders. He led the Gorlocks to the 1999-2000 St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference championship. He became the winningest coach in Webster history and was twice named the SLIAC Coach of the Year, leading the program to the best turnaround in the NCAA in all divisions.

y_jack_lok

^^^ Lance Randall does seem to get around. Must like to turn programs around then move on. Of course the part about him becoming the winningest coach in Webster history is now history itself. He won 43 games in 3 seasons as coach. That has been eclipsed by Coach Bunch's 200+ wins in 13 seasons: http://websterathletics.com/sports/2008/7/10/MENSBASKETBALLCOACHINGRECORDS.aspx?path=mbball

hopefan

Well.. a dilemma....

I vowed to see every SLIAC team by this weekend

I've only not seen Spalding and Webster, and will see Webster on Saturday

I was counting on driving 4 hours to Louisville on Friday to see Spalding play Wash U
BUT
Spalding got hammered yesterday by Hanover...  and I have little confidence now that they will be competitive with Wash U

There are other games that I can see Friday

I'd have to drive 8 hours on Friday to see Spalding get hammered by Wash U

I think I've answered my question.... stay local, miss Spalding...