WBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by J 2 The Brizo, February 09, 2005, 10:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bird Dog

The IIAC race has turned into a dogfight, pitbull not Bird Dog for second place.  Last year we were wondering who would or wouldn't get into fouth thru sixth.
This year it's who is going to be second thru fifth.  The contenders are BV, Luther, Loras, and Wartburg.  Luther and BV will eliminate one on Saturday for a possible three way tie.  I don't know how the IIAC breaks ties for seeding but obviously being a person with too much time to waste I thought I would check the records among the four contenders.
                            W     L
     Loras               4     2           @Dubuque won first game 69-62
     Wartburg         3     3           @Central won first game 72-71
     BV                    2     3           @Luther won first game  77-74
     Luther              2     3           vs. BV lost  first game 77-74

Not having a dog in this fight and completely blowing my preseason and first week of conference play predictions I would like to hear some predictions from the contenders.  The conversations on this site have been kinda slow lets pick it up.

I wish three of you good luck this weekend.  I make that statement in case one of the teams isn't fired up and needs something to put on the locker room bulletin board. 

Kohawk Krazy

Quote from: Bird Dog on February 20, 2009, 12:05:50 AM
The IIAC race has turned into a dogfight, pitbull not Bird Dog for second place.  Last year we were wondering who would or wouldn't get into fouth thru sixth.
This year it's who is going to be second thru fifth.  The contenders are BV, Luther, Loras, and Wartburg.  Luther and BV will eliminate one on Saturday for a possible three way tie.  I don't know how the IIAC breaks ties for seeding but obviously being a person with too much time to waste I thought I would check the records among the four contenders.
                            W     L

Not having a dog in this fight and completely blowing my preseason and first week of conference play predictions I would like to hear some predictions from the contenders.  The conversations on this site have been kinda slow lets pick it up.

I wish three of you good luck this weekend.  I make that statement in case one of the teams isn't fired up and needs something to put on the locker room bulletin board. 

I believe the Kohawks can finish in 4th place with a win on Saturday.  Not likely they will beat a dominate Simpson squad, but it's still possible.

Bird Dog

Quote from: Kohawk Krazy on February 20, 2009, 01:54:32 PM
Quote from: Bird Dog on February 20, 2009, 12:05:50 AM
                            W     L

I believe the Kohawks can finish in 4th place with a win on Saturday.  Not likely they will beat a dominate Simpson squad, but it's still possible.

Remote they might get 4th place with a win but the 4th seed  would require Luther to lose to BV and Wartburg to lose their game and a coin flip. 

Crazy are you going to the game?

Bird Dog

The first round games begin Tuesday to recap previous meetings.

BV has defeated Luther twice 77-74 and 69-66

Loras has defeated Coe 60-40 and 63-61

BV and Luther has been a dogfight both times.  Loras and Coe had real a real barn burner last time out. 

In one of my previous I said I had no idea how IIAC broke ties this is out of their sports manual

Tie-breaker criteria for tournament seeding:
1. Head-to-head record
2. Record vs. teams in descending order, starting with first place
3. Coin flip (three-way-odd team gets the higher seed)
Note: After a three-way tie is broken, go back to top criteria with two remaining teams (e.g., head-to-head). To break a first
place/third place tie, the first place teams will compare head-to-head records vs. combined third place team records.

Congrats to Simpson on regular season championship.  It would be nice to get two teams into the post season.  I think Simpson would have to loose the tournament for the conference to get two.

Still need more chatter.  Doolittledog we still need you as an impartial commentator on the state of the tournament.

Good luck to all.

HCACBBALL

Just asking as a impartial person.  Would Simpson get a at large if they do not win the Conference Tourney?  Is there non con record strong enough?  Once again just asking a question that I do not know the answer too.

Bird Dog

Quote from: HCACBBALL on February 22, 2009, 11:00:55 PM
Just asking as a impartial person.  Would Simpson get a at large if they do not win the Conference Tourney?  Is there non con record strong enough?  Once again just asking a question that I do not know the answer too.

Simpson is ranked 14th by USA Today.  Sixteenth by D3 Hoops, and fourth in the West Region by the NCAA.  I have not seen an RPI on them but I would think it would be middle of the tournament (pardon the pure speculation).  These were last weeks rankings and Simpson has won two more games.

I think the NCAA must use a point differential.  That is why Simpson uses the press until the very end in games that are a blow outs.

HCACBALL the most important thing to remember, is the NCAA is like the Lord it works in strange and mysterious ways so your guess is as good as mine.

Kohawk Krazy

Quote from: Bird Dog on February 22, 2009, 10:24:58 PM

Loras beat Coe 60-49 the first time.  Was a closer game than the 11 point win as well.  Coe should have won the last meeting, but a foul call with :02.5 left in a tied game sent Loras to the line.

I see Luther and Coe coming out on top in the first round, with a rematch of the 2008 Title game coming next Saturday as well.

Bird Dog

Quote from: Kohawk Krazy on February 23, 2009, 04:01:26 PM
Quote from: Bird Dog on February 22, 2009, 10:24:58 PM

Loras beat Coe 60-49 the first time.  Was a closer game than the 11 point win as well.  Coe should have won the last meeting, but a foul call with :02.5 left in a tied game sent Loras to the line.

I see Luther and Coe coming out on top in the first round, with a rematch of the 2008 Title game coming next Saturday as well.

Sorry Krazy that was a typo 9 being next to zero. 

Its kind of funny Simpson has the number one seed supposedly playing weaker teams.  But, BV and Luther are the only league teams that beat them this year. 

BV and Luther both beat Simpson on their respective home floors.  BV by three and Luther by 15.  On Simpson's home floor they beat BV by 13 and spanked Luther by 30. 

Your Coe hawks are a dark horse but in this league I wouldn't rule anyone out on a given night. 

Good luck to all the teams except the one my daughter plays against. 

I've got to go now Remi says lights out.

Kohawk Krazy

Any other thoughts or predictions before the tourney starts tonight?

gottaluvhoops

Tonight I will go with:

Loras 66  Coe 60
Luther 68  BV 67

Kohawk Crazy---any reason why Norris didn't play against Simpson (sick?)

Kohawk Krazy

Quote from: gottaluvhoops on February 24, 2009, 02:51:58 PM
Tonight I will go with:

Loras 66  Coe 60
Luther 68  BV 67

Kohawk Crazy---any reason why Norris didn't play against Simpson (sick?)

Not really sure what happened.  Didn't play last night either and is now no longer listed on the team roster.

doolittledog

Well, I suppose since every game so far has gone with the higher seed.  There is no reason to believe saturday's championship game between Simpson and Wartburg will be any different. 

Simpson wins, the IIAC gets one team into the NCAA tourney.  Simpson makes it to the elite 8. 

I will disclose that I am more often wrong that right!!!

doolittledog

Dubuque opens their upcoming season with an exhibition game against Iowa St.

Should be fun.

http://www.dbq.edu/udathletics/news.cfm?ID=1176&team=Womens%20Basketball

Bird Dog

Good luck against Iowa State.  Coe College Crimson team (Coe had two teams at the games)  beat ISU at the Iowa Games.  Caught them looking ahead to championship game.  Bolte, Ezell, and incoming Freshman played for ISU.   Coe had had picked Makeya Johnson (She is going to a school in Georgia) from Kirkwood as a addition to the team. 

I wish more IIAC teams would go to the games.

Have you heard anything about recruits.

The season doesn't start until Nov. 17, but that doesn't mean we can't start some chatter.

doolittledog

Quote from: Bird Dog on August 05, 2009, 12:44:00 AM
Good luck against Iowa State.  Coe College Crimson team (Coe had two teams at the games)  beat ISU at the Iowa Games.  Caught them looking ahead to championship game.  Bolte, Ezell, and incoming Freshman played for ISU.   Coe had had picked Makeya Johnson (She is going to a school in Georgia) from Kirkwood as a addition to the team. 

I wish more IIAC teams would go to the games.

Have you heard anything about recruits

The season doesn't start until Nov. 17, but that doesn't mean we can't start some chatter.

Good call, I too, wish more IIAC schools sent teams to compete in the Iowa Games.

The only thing I know about recruiting is what I read from the UD site.  The Spartans are bringing a large class...many from Wisconsin because of coach Nolls connections.  Supposedly very talented...but also very young...not always a recipe for success, but I am hopefull for this coming season for UD.