WBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by J 2 The Brizo, February 09, 2005, 10:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klompen

Quote from: Bird Dog on January 20, 2010, 11:19:42 AM
Klompen fortunately we have already played in Pella.  We face murderers row everytime we go there.  Weirich Meat shop, Browns Shoe Fit, Jarsma Bakery and the other bakery.  Usually dropping a couple C's. Warning to other IIAC travelers its a bad area of town for the check book oops debit card.  

Klompen I'm sorry I couldn't remember the name of the other bakery please educate our readers.

Any other conference members if you have any unique shops I'd like to hear about them.
It's Ulrich's Meat Market and Vander Ploeg Bakery.  Glad to hear that you visitors are dropping big money in Pella, the locals can't afford to shop here.   ;D

Pella is still a City of Refuge, first it was for the Dutch, later a number of Laotian refugees and now orphans from Haiti.  Lots of local and national coverage of the Pella couple that went to Haiti to get their adoptive daughter from Haiti.  Word is that 5 of the 9 orphans are now in Pella for adoption.  Some reports indicated all 9 would be coming to Pella for adoption, either way it is wonderful news that these kids have been rescued from such a devastating environment.  Hope they learn how to play basketball, Central may still need them years from now!   :'(

Bird Dog

My wife's family adopted 4 children to go with their three.  We adopted two children before the miracle chiles came along.  Recommend it to anyone.  One of the best things we ever did.

hoop_junkie

Quote from: Klompen on January 20, 2010, 10:34:22 AM
Any thoughts on whether the games will go on tonight with all the ice at least in Central (pun not intended) Iowa?

I was remiss in my post about how hard it was to watch the Central women's game against Luther.  While it was a tough game for a Central fan to watch, there was a real bright spot.  In the midst of a terrible team performance, Central's Kelsey Schuring came on strong with an 18 point performance.  Those Schuring genes have been good ones for Central College, ask any IIAC football fan.   ;D

It is nice to see that Kelsey and Haley Brillhart, both from Pella, are doing so well for the Dutch. 

Both are nice players. Thought Schuring would get more PT as a freshman. Might've helped a struggling Central team from a year ago. Good to see her playing now.

Klompen

Quote from: Bird Dog on January 20, 2010, 02:25:29 PM
My wife's family adopted 4 children to go with their three.  We adopted two children before the miracle chiles came along.  Recommend it to anyone.  One of the best things we ever did.
I bet it was. 

Klompen

Quote from: hoop_junkie on January 20, 2010, 04:59:01 PM
Quote from: Klompen on January 20, 2010, 10:34:22 AM

It is nice to see that Kelsey and Haley Brillhart, both from Pella, are doing so well for the Dutch. 

Both are nice players. Thought Schuring would get more PT as a freshman. Might've helped a struggling Central team from a year ago. Good to see her playing now.
I was surprised too that Schuring didn't get more PT last year.  They both have a lot of natural ability. 

hoop_junkie

1/21 Halftime scores:

BV 41
Cornell 28
Muhlbauer with 15

Dubuque 42
Simpson 38
Hamilton and Parr going back and forth in a shootout

Wartburg 29
Luther 28

No score for Loras/Central @ Loras

oldknight

Quote from: Klompen on January 20, 2010, 01:13:52 PM
Quote from: Bird Dog on January 20, 2010, 11:19:42 AM
Klompen fortunately we have already played in Pella.  We face murderers row everytime we go there.  Weirich Meat shop, Browns Shoe Fit, Jarsma Bakery and the other bakery.  Usually dropping a couple C's. Warning to other IIAC travelers its a bad area of town for the check book oops debit card.  

Klompen I'm sorry I couldn't remember the name of the other bakery please educate our readers.

Any other conference members if you have any unique shops I'd like to hear about them.
It's Ulrich's Meat Market and Vander Ploeg Bakery.  Glad to hear that you visitors are dropping big money in Pella, the locals can't afford to shop here.   ;D

Pella is still a City of Refuge, first it was for the Dutch, later a number of Laotian refugees and now orphans from Haiti.  Lots of local and national coverage of the Pella couple that went to Haiti to get their adoptive daughter from Haiti.  Word is that 5 of the 9 orphans are now in Pella for adoption.  Some reports indicated all 9

would be coming to Pella for adoption, either way it is wonderful news that these kids have been rescued from such a devastating environment.  Hope they learn how to play basketball, Central may still need them years from now!   :'(

Don't forget my favorite--In't Veld Meat Market--and its famed Pella Balogna!

doolittledog

Well, I officially have no idea what is going on in this conference.  Or, more specifically, the UD team.  I didn't see a 70-46 win over Coe for tonight.  The Spartan women have a good team.  You just don't know what team will show up most nights.  Maybe they are starting to come together as a team now...and a good time of year for this to happen.  That is a very good result for them.  Hopefully bird dog was at the game and can give us some insight into what went on at the Stoltz Center tonight. 

Confererence standings as of right now...

Simpson  8-1  15-3
Wartburg 7-2 13-5
Coe   6-3  11-7
Dubuque 5-4  11-7
Loras   5-4  10-8
Buena Vista 4-5  10-8
Luther  2-6  7-10
Cornell  2-7 7-11
Central  1-8 2-16

And upcoming games...

Jan. 27 Buena Vista @ Central 6:00 PM   
Jan. 27 Dubuque @ Wartburg 6:00 PM   
Jan. 27 Luther @ Coe 6:00 PM   
Jan. 27 Simpson @ Cornell 6:00 PM

Loras gets Wednesday night off. 

Kohawk Krazy

No talk for a few days.  Who does anyone have tonight?

Buena Vista at Central - Beavers need to bust out of this slump.  The Dutch are the perfect opponent for them.  This could get ugly.

Dubuque at Wartburg - Knights are playing tough right now, but the Spartans came out of no where on Saturday.  I don't think they can do that again, as much as I wish they would.

Luther at Coe - The Kohawks have the Norse's number as of late and I look at that to continue.  Coe is hot at home this year.

Simpson at Cornell - This will be a blowout, just the opposite of the men's game with the winner.

doolittledog

Beoona Vista @ Central  No slump busting here tonight.  Home town cooking does the Dutch good. 

Dubuque @ Wartburg  I believe the Spartan women are really starting to play well together and get a road win tonight.

Luther @ Coe  Coe is mad mad mad at their performance in Dubuque last week.  They come out tonight and leave no doubt who is the better team.

Simpson @ Cornell  Simpson wins, but the Cornell ladies make this a very close game, even taking the lead for a bit of the 2nd half. 

Bird Dog

Quote from: doolittledog on January 27, 2010, 05:44:06 PM
Beoona Vista @ Central  No slump busting here tonight.  Home town cooking does the Dutch good.  

Dubuque @ Wartburg  I believe the Spartan women are really starting to play well together and get a road win tonight.

Luther @ Coe  Coe is mad mad mad at their performance in Dubuque last week.  They come out tonight and leave no doubt who is the better team.

Simpson @ Cornell  Simpson wins, but the Cornell ladies make this a very close game, even taking the lead for a bit of the 2nd half.  

Quote from: doolittledog on January 24, 2010, 12:03:08 AM
Well, I officially have no idea what is going on in this conference.  Or, more specifically, the UD team.  I didn't see a 70-46 win over Coe for tonight.  The Spartan women have a good team.  You just don't know what team will show up most nights.  Maybe they are starting to come together as a team now...and a good time of year for this to happen.  That is a very good result for them.  Hopefully bird dog was at the game and can give us some insight into what went on at the Stoltz Center tonight.  

Confererence standings as of right now...

Simpson  8-1  15-3
Wartburg 7-2 13-5
Coe   6-3  11-7
Dubuque 5-4  11-7
Loras   5-4  10-8
Buena Vista 4-5  10-8
Luther  2-6  7-10
Cornell  2-7 7-11
Central  1-8 2-16

And upcoming games...

Jan. 27 Buena Vista @ Central 6:00 PM  
Jan. 27 Dubuque @ Wartburg 6:00 PM  
Jan. 27 Luther @ Coe 6:00 PM  
Jan. 27 Simpson @ Cornell 6:00 PM

Loras gets Wednesday night off.  

Doolittledog I thought for a moment that we had gone to the same school of game predicting.  But then I remembered I have never gotten to the lofty pinacle of .500 like you did last night.

Sorry I have not responded to your request for information on last Saturdays game but I have been drinking heavily and just woke up remembering very little.  Ouch ouch a snake just bit me.  Oops never mind just the dt's.  What I do remember is Coach Noll spotted a weakness and exploited it to the fullest.  No more comment on that someone else may be listening.

Without being specific and remembering I don't have tapes to rewatch two other coaches did it too.  One by accident and the other I'm sure knows what it is.  We will find out in the next few weeks.  

Klompen

Quote from: Kohawk Krazy on January 27, 2010, 04:08:15 PM
No talk for a few days.  Who does anyone have tonight?

Buena Vista at Central - Beavers need to bust out of this slump.  The Dutch are the perfect opponent for them.  This could get ugly.

Sadly for some terrific women, ugly seems to be the name of the Central game lately.  We have some very good players, I don't know if it is the coaching or why they can't seem to win.  At least at the start of the season, they were playing some competitive games, maybe the record is wearing on them.  I don't think they are as bad as the record, but they aren't playing as well lately.  I can still cheer them on when they are competitive, but cheering them on when the game is hard to even watch is a struggle.

hoop_junkie

I don't want to be too critical here, but girls are very different to coach than boys and Central hired an older gentleman who I believe (could be wrong) only had experience coaching HS boys. There are a number of reasons why that just seems like a bad hire. First of all, regardless of coach Nickel's coaching expertise, a coach at that stage of his career getting his first girl's job has got to make it tough for him. Going from boys to girls without much help makes for a very steep learning curve. I probably don't have all the facts and am just an outsider looking in, but why would you hire someone that age who has never coached a girl's team before???

doolittledog

Quote from: hoop_junkie on January 29, 2010, 11:34:15 AM
I don't want to be too critical here, but girls are very different to coach than boys and Central hired an older gentleman who I believe (could be wrong) only had experience coaching HS boys. There are a number of reasons why that just seems like a bad hire. First of all, regardless of coach Nickel's coaching expertise, a coach at that stage of his career getting his first girl's job has got to make it tough for him. Going from boys to girls without much help makes for a very steep learning curve. I probably don't have all the facts and am just an outsider looking in, but why would you hire someone that age who has never coached a girl's team before???

He might have come at the right price!!!  (read: willing to work for less money than younger coaches)

Kohawk Krazy

My take for tomorrow...

Buena Vista at Luther - The Norse just aren't very good....BV still trying for a top four spot and home playoff game...

Simpson at Loras - Could be a close game.  Would love the see the Duhawks pull this one off, but don't see it happening.

Cornell at Coe - This is going to get ugly and fast.  The Kohawks aren't happy about the loss on Dec. 2 and they haven't forgotten it.  It's been pounded into their head they don't lose to Cornell.  See Luther game on Wednesday night, but maybe add 15-20 onto that score total.

Wartburg at Central - Another game I'd love to see the home team win, but don't see it happening.