WBB: American Rivers Conference

Started by J 2 The Brizo, February 09, 2005, 10:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bird Dog

Quote from: hoop_junkie on September 20, 2010, 07:31:54 PM
Also heard that Dirks is at Wartburg. She is a nice player, wonder why she left Mt. Mercy?

Hoops there you go again with the conspiracy theories (ha,ha).  Maybe she just wanted a change of scenery or the school didn't have her major.   She is a nice player as 6' guard she should be able to help them.  Wish her the best except when they play my team or UofD which has become my second favorite team.

She averaged:
            2009-2010                     2008-2009
Min.          14.6                                9.0
Pts.            5.4                                4.3
Reb            3.1                                2.2

doolittledog

Quote from: Bird Dog on September 22, 2010, 09:59:39 AM
Quote from: hoop_junkie on September 20, 2010, 07:31:54 PM
Also heard that Dirks is at Wartburg. She is a nice player, wonder why she left Mt. Mercy?

Hoops there you go again with the conspiracy theories (ha,ha).  Maybe she just wanted a change of scenery or the school didn't have her major.   She is a nice player as 6' guard she should be able to help them.  Wish her the best except when they play my team or UofD which has become my second favorite team.

She averaged:
            2009-2010                     2008-2009
Min.          14.6                                9.0
Pts.            5.4                                4.3
Reb            3.1                                2.2

You are a good man birdog...or woman I suppose. 

Bird Dog

Congratulations to BV and Cornell first Women's BB rosters (that included freshman) posted.  Didn't recognize any of the newbie's names.  

B.V.'s looked different without Margo.  

Bird Dog

Looking at Loras' roster Sarah and Dannelle Pillion are not listed I thought they were Juniors last year?  Sarah averaged 11 pts. per game.  Any Information.  

doolittledog

Dubuque has their '10-'11 roster up.

http://www.dbq.edu/udathletics/womensbasketball.cfm

Now I'm waiting for Bird Dog to tell me what he knows of the UD recruiting class. 

Bird Dog

Quote from: doolittledog on October 26, 2010, 11:11:40 PM
Dubuque has their '10-'11 roster up.

http://www.dbq.edu/udathletics/womensbasketball.cfm

Now I'm waiting for Bird Dog to tell me what he knows of the UD recruiting class.  

I don't remember names but I am positive I've seen 6' ++ girl play for Hempstead which I assume is Stephany Remakel.  If memory serves me she's a tall plodding girl who if the coaches have patience could develop into a good DIII player.  ala Andrea Clark or Mindy Meyers.  

Soap box time:  I have seen so many age group coaches that want to win they won't play the big girl or worse expect to much and yell at them until they quit.   Instead they take a smaller player that won't be tall enough to play post in High School and play them inside which screws them up in high school because they can't play guard.

Miss Remakel has one of the two things you can't coach HEIGHT (the other is speed I don't think she has speed).
Players like Brad Lohaus and Kevin Kunnert that played at Iowa that didn't develop until later in there careers when their hard work and coordination caught up to their bodies.  

If I was a DIII coach I would try to get every 6'2" girl I could and hope they will work hard and develop.  Look at the rosters of the teams that go deep into the tournament you need a big girl and Remakel may develop into that girl for U.D.  

We have a couple of scrimages in the next two weeks, the season is getting close.

Enough rambling where's FWOL when you need him.

bballer1280

Quote from: Bird Dog on October 27, 2010, 10:05:44 AM
Soap box time:  I have seen so many age group coaches that want to win they won't play the big girl or worse expect to much and yell at them until they quit.   Instead they take a smaller player that won't be tall enough to play post in High School and play them inside which screws them up in high school because they can't play guard...

If I was a DIII coach I would try to get every 6'2" girl I could and hope they will work hard and develop.  Look at the rosters of the teams that go deep into the tournament you need a big girl...

I absolutely agree with the statements made above.  Youth coaches never see player development as a long term process like should be the case.  Youth coaches always worry only about their next tournament.  This approach is shameful.  Championships at the high school and collegiate levels in girls basketball require a big presence in the post and those girls take some time to develop.  Also, the bigger girls in the 5th-8th grades are not always the bigger players in high school and beyond.  As a result, all basketball fundamentals should be taught to all girls regardless of their current size and stature.  You just never know what a young girls playing position will be as she reached maturity.

sumfun

I totally agree.  As someone who coached middle school kids for years, we need to teach them all the skills and develop the complete player.  Pivot, box out, dribble both hands, jump shots, hook shots....you name it, kids need it at all levels.  Girls especially develop at such different times.  Never give up on a kid that wants to try.  Kids that I hid one year become a star the next and kids that I hid in middle school, blossom junior year in high school.  Kids that never shot from the outside in high school develop in college.

Bird Dog

Preseason poll is out.

1.    Amherst               621 pts.

6.  U.W. Stevens Pt.    460 pts.

9.    Carthage             340 pts.

25.  St. Vincent             74 pts.

others receiving votes

Simpson                        71 pts.

U. W. LaCrosse             66 pts.

U.W. River Falls             40 Pts.

Coe                                 1 pt.

Who voted for Coe to give them one point.  Is he/she a fool or a psychic?  Coe will get a chance to prove themselves playing #9 Cathage and 26 and 27 Simpson and U.W. LaCrosse.  Simpson can move up by playing #6 U.W. Stevens Pt. and River Falls.   Amherst and St. Vincent is to show the pt. spread between #1 and #25 and how close Simpson and LaCrosse are to #25.

Alfredeneumann

Wartburg Roster is posted
http://www.go-knights.net/roster.aspx?path=wbball

3 seniors
5 Juniors
5 Sophomores
9 Freshmen

Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

hoop_junkie

Coe is going to be tough. Won a split of the league last year and has some very talented players back along with what is rumored to be a very solid recruiting class. There are a lot of midwest d3s that don't get the top 25 recognition that they deserve and a lot of east coast teams that would be avg in the midwest steal their thunder w/better records vs weaker competition.

Quote from: Bird Dog on November 02, 2010, 08:50:36 PM
Preseason poll is out.

1.    Amherst               621 pts.

6.  U.W. Stevens Pt.    460 pts.

9.    Carthage             340 pts.

25.  St. Vincent             74 pts.

others receiving votes

Simpson                        71 pts.

U. W. LaCrosse             66 pts.

U.W. River Falls             40 Pts.

Coe                                 1 pt.

Who voted for Coe to give them one point.  Is he/she a fool or a psychic?  Coe will get a chance to prove themselves playing #9 Cathage and 26 and 27 Simpson and U.W. LaCrosse.  Simpson can move up by playing #6 U.W. Stevens Pt. and River Falls.   Amherst and St. Vincent is to show the pt. spread between #1 and #25 and how close Simpson and LaCrosse are to #25.

Bird Dog

Congrats to Wartburg women's basketball beaten by Iowa State 61-40.  I believe it was 29-25 at half.  That is an excellent outing against a DI team.  

Maddie Sadecky (former Iowa City West Phenom) had 13 pts. and Sam Harrington had 11pts.  They were 5 for 11 beyond the arc.

Bird Dog

Central hasn't listed its roster for the 2010-11 yet but has a nice article about their returning players.  They talk about having some experienced players but no legitimate post.  This leads me to my question.  What happened to Andrea Clark?  I hope it wasn't injuries that are keeping her out.  She was one of my favorite players.  I wish her good luck in furture endevors

Alfredeneumann

Wartburg beats Gustavus 70-58.

http://www.go-knights.net/news/2010/11/15/WBB_1115104510.aspx

"Sophomore guard Abi Weidemann of Iowa Falls led the way in scoring with 17 points. Senior guard Samantha Harrington of Nashua added 14 and canned three treys. Sophomore forward Maddie Sadekcy of Iowa City added 10 points. Other highlights from Amsberry's crew came from junior forward Emily Timmermans of Vinton with 10 rebounds, part of a 34-25 edge on the glass, five assists from Harrington, and four steals from junior guard Stephanie Reiter of LaPorte City."
Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

doolittledog

Dubuque preview from the Telegraph-Herald

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=302644

The forecast -- The Spartans are projected to finish fourth in the IIAC in the league's preseason coaches poll.

Outlook -- Noll, a notorious hard worker, claims he took some time off in the summer, but the high energy coach and his club are back at work looking to build on the momentum of last year's 15-win performance. In Whiting, Dubuque has a big time talent with a huge upside.

The roster is swimming in height (with four players standing 6 feet or taller). The Spartans will prep for the IIAC season with a challenging non-conference slate.

The burning question is: Does UD have the defense to make a serious run in the IIAC, where Simpson has four starters back from an NCAA Division III tournament team and Coe returns all five starters from a 19-win team?

"Our returners worked really hard in the offseason and we are looking forward to the challenges ahead," Noll said. "I like the depth we have."