Started by J 2 The Brizo, February 09, 2005, 10:02:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doolittledog

Coe beats UD 64-62 with the game winning layup at the buzzer
Loras wins @ BVU 74-71
Simpson wins @ Luther 71-62
Central gets whupped @ Wartburg 38-69

Bird Dog

I think Luther is the surprise team of the early season beating Loras (picked #3 preseason) and only losing by 9 to Simpson.  Luther was 8th place last year in the conference standings.

Bird Dog

Quote from: Bird Dog on January 10, 2013, 07:35:20 PM
I think Luther is the surprise team of the early season beating Loras (picked #3 preseason) and only losing by 9 to Simpson.  Luther was 8th place last year in the conference standings.

OOps Central beats Luther 81 to 69. 

5 Words or Less

Quote from: Bird Dog on January 12, 2013, 09:23:32 PM
Quote from: Bird Dog on January 10, 2013, 07:35:20 PM

OOps Central beats Luther 81 to 69.

Just an off night perhaps

Bird Dog

Rough night for the leaders.  Second place Loras loses to Luther for the second time this year.  Third place Wartburg loses to Dubuque.  Preseason favorite Coe loses to Central. 

doolittledog

Quote from: Bird Dog on January 31, 2013, 10:58:26 PM
Rough night for the leaders.  Second place Loras loses to Luther for the second time this year.  Third place Wartburg loses to Dubuque.  Preseason favorite Coe loses to Central.

I tuned in just in time to watch the last minute of the game.  UD hit the winner with maybe 3 seconds left.  Fun game to watch.  For a Dubuque fan anyways ;D

doolittledog

Dubuque with an 80-63 win over Coe today.  I guess the secret for a Dubuque victory is for me to tune in with 10 minutes or less left in the 2nd half.  Or...The Spartan women have been working hard at practice and the coaching staff has them playing well and the victories are starting to come together again.  Fun to see a team that was so down for a long time getting a convincing win against a traditional top team in the conference. 

Bird Dog

Quote from: doolittledog on February 02, 2013, 04:48:38 PM
Dubuque with an 80-63 win over Coe today.  I guess the secret for a Dubuque victory is for me to tune in with 10 minutes or less left in the 2nd half.  Or...The Spartan women have been working hard at practice and the coaching staff has them playing well and the victories are starting to come together again.  Fun to see a team that was so down for a long time getting a convincing win against a traditional top team in the conference. 

What does it take to be a traditional top team?  Coach Peterson is the only women's basketball coach at Coe with a winning record. They have been doing fairly well since 2007-2008 season.  Coe has been to the NCAA two years in a row with no chance of making it this year unless they A. GET INTO THE LEAGUE TOURNAMENT and B.THEN WIN THE LEAGUE TOURNAMENT. I do believe they have the talent to win the tournament but not without a change in fortune/philosophy/team chemistry/injury situation or fill in the blank from a half dozen other cliches.

Coe has 4 games left with home games against Loras and Wartburg which are tied for second at 6-4.  Away games with Luther and BV.  Loras and Wartburg games were close 3pt games.  Coe beat Luther by 14 and BV by 2 in OT. Good luck Coe you are going to need it.     

doolittledog

Quote from: Bird Dog on February 04, 2013, 06:17:00 PM

What does it take to be a traditional top team? 

5 straight years or more in the top rung...or, uh, to have been a top team since I once again began paying attention to the league...which was around 2006 or so  :P

Bird Dog

Quote from: doolittledog on February 04, 2013, 08:37:22 PM
Quote from: Bird Dog on February 04, 2013, 06:17:00 PM

What does it take to be a traditional top team? 

5 straight years or more in the top rung...or, uh, to have been a top team since I once again began paying attention to the league...which was around 2006 or so  :P

Here is Coe's record for the last seven years. 
2006-07        8-18
2007-08        20-8  (third place league runner up tournament
2008-09        14-12
2009-10        19-8  (Tied league champ runner up tournament)
2010-11        26-4  (Tied league champ champion tournament)
2011-12        21-8  (2nd league won tournament)
2013-13        12-11 ( may need two wins to get into tournament)

Compare this to Simpson eight straight NCAA Tournament appearances and five of the last six league championships.  Right now I would say that Simpson is the only traditional power in the league, with Coe being up four of the last six years. 

Don't get me wrong I am not complaining about Coe's success but think it needs a few more years to be considered a traditional power. 

I still think if they get into the tournament they could win it this year.  Things are going to have to click a little better than they have been. 

doolittledog

Fair point, Bird Dog.

Of course, with Dubuque winning @ Simpson tonight 72-56...holding Simpson to 21.7% shooting, including 1-21 from 3 point range...together with the fact I participated in Homebrewing 101 at the Broad Street Brewing company tonight and my head is buzzing.  I'm feeling pretty good about life right about now ;D

Bird Dog

Quote from: doolittledog on February 13, 2013, 11:13:48 PM
Fair point, Bird Dog.

Of course, with Dubuque winning @ Simpson tonight 72-56...holding Simpson to 21.7% shooting, including 1-21 from 3 point range...together with the fact I participated in Homebrewing 101 at the Broad Street Brewing company tonight and my head is buzzing.  I'm feeling pretty good about life right about now ;D

Great win and momentum into the tournament.  Need a win over Loras to get number three seed.  Wartburg loss and U.D. win would get U.D. the two seed.

doolittledog

Internet is out on the UD campus so I listened to the Luther radio feed.  They did a great job.

UD beats Luther 80-74 in OT.  Tied at the half.  In the 2nd half UD had a 1 point lead and fouled Luther on a 3 point attempt.  Luther missed all 3 free throws and fouled Dubuque on the rebound.  Dubuque made 2 to go up 3 and Luther nailed a 3 pointer to send the game in to OT.  At that point a Luther team already in foul trouble had a few players foul out and UD took control and won by 6.  It was a fun game to listen to while I toiled away at the office. 

Bird Dog

Overtime at Loras with Coe bowing out.  Good Luck U.D.

doolittledog

Two OT games tonight.  This is a very deep conference.