WBB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletics Association

Started by MJA, February 24, 2005, 06:38:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bballforever

Well - it is almost time to get started.  Hope seems loaded to me.  Calvin needs to replace alot including bench players.  Olivet seems loaded too.

We can't wait and we get to see Hope/Calvin very early in the season.

Roundball999

Quote from: bballforever on October 02, 2013, 09:01:18 AM
Well - it is almost time to get started.  Hope seems loaded to me.  Calvin needs to replace alot including bench players.  Olivet seems loaded too.

We can't wait and we get to see Hope/Calvin very early in the season.

Looking forward to the season too.  I agree, Olivet should be very good and could well challenge for a spot in the top two.  Both Calvin and Hope lost a ton of talent.  Calvin's front line was decimated by graduation with Verkaik, Wolffis and Hilbrands all gone but they have strong guards returning led by Engelhard.  Obviously, replacing Verkaik with one player is not possible; several players would have to really step up their games.  Hope's graduation losses were more balanced so their returning strength may also be more balanced but losing all-MIAA type players like Ellis, Kust and Kussmaul is hard to deal with.  Replacing Ellis will be especially tough, she was both the catalyst of their defense and a one-woman press break.  As is so often the case, the strength and readiness of the incoming players may make the difference.  Haven't heard much about either team's recruits.

jspiii

Varsity roster is up:

http://athletics.hope.edu/sports/wbkb/2013-14/roster
Freshmen:
   Gaddy    5'5" PG
   Perkins   5'9" PG
   Scholten 6'5" C     Injured foot last year - did not play

bballforever

Calvin women's roster out yet?

realist

"If you are catching flack it means you are over the target".  Brietbart.

Roundball999

Hope 4th, Calvin 12th in WBCA preseason poll.  Last year's finalists DePauw and UWW are 1-2, with Amherst #3.

http://www.wbca.org/blog/index.cfm/2013/10/29/20132014-PreSeason-DIII-Poll/

bballforever

Calvin 12th in country??

bballfan13

Quote from: bballforever on October 30, 2013, 03:25:34 PM
Calvin 12th in country??

I wouldn't put too much stock into any of the preseason rankings.  Voters really don't know what teams are going to look like this year and just take a stab at it.  Based on what Calvin and Hope both lost last year I think these rankings are high for both teams.  But we won't know more until the first few weeks of the season are played.  That being said I would not mind seeing these teams ranked highly again as they are fun to watch  :)

Roundball999

Quote from: bballfan13 on October 31, 2013, 11:37:22 AM
Quote from: bballforever on October 30, 2013, 03:25:34 PM
Calvin 12th in country??

I wouldn't put too much stock into any of the preseason rankings.  Voters really don't know what teams are going to look like this year and just take a stab at it.  Based on what Calvin and Hope both lost last year I think these rankings are high for both teams.  But we won't know more until the first few weeks of the season are played.  That being said I would not mind seeing these teams ranked highly again as they are fun to watch  :)

No doubt these rankings are suspect and based mainly on last year, coach's and team's general reputation and past performance.  A post over on the NESCAC board talks of how Williams lost 4 of top 5 scorers and the rest of the projected starters combined for 6 ppg last year, yet Williams is #9.

That said, both Hope and Calvin have talent and some size and I think it feasible they could earn such rankings over the year.  I know less about Calvin but Hope appears to have very legitimate scoring threats at every position, probably three six footers starting, Berry is deadly from outside (52% last year) and she's not the only shooter, and they will play Morehouse defense.  I heard good things about their scrimmage vs. Cornerstone and the play of some of the recruits there.  But they lost some exceptional seniors so this group is starting from scratch and has to prove the potential on the court.

Roundball999

Quote from: goodknight on November 02, 2013, 11:34:30 PM
Quote from: realist on October 25, 2013, 02:39:57 PM
Quote from: bballforever on October 25, 2013, 01:22:58 PM
Calvin women's roster out yet?
No.

Now it is:
http://www.calvin.edu/sports/womens/basketball/roster.htm

Along with an outlook in the post-Carissa era:
http://www.calvin.edu/sports/news/comments/2013-14-calvin-womens-basketball-outlook/

Clearly he's trying to temper expectations and that's understandable, but I don't think things are quite as dire as he makes it sound.  They're returning some experienced players and Englehard is an all MIAA guard.  Lots will depend on if and who else steps up their game but I think Calvin will be tough for anyone to play.

Roundball999

Preseason poll of coaches puts Hope as solid favorite to win MIAA, with Calvin second and Olivet third.  If I figured this right, it looks like Hope was a unanimous selection with the Hope coach splitting his first place vote between Calvin and Olivet.

Poll Results (First-place votes in parenthesis):
1. Hope (8) 8 pts.
2. Calvin (1/2) 15.
3. Olivet (1/2) 21.
4. Adrian 38.
5. Albion 41.
6. Trine 42.
7. Alma 43.
8. Saint Mary's 51.
9. Kalamazoo 64.

I'm thinking Olivet could be very tough, with MVP candidate Campbell at guard, 6'4" Lang in the post, and several other seasoned players.  Depth could be a challenge, the Comets show only ten players on their roster.

bballfan13

Anyone else think it's a bit ridiculous to split your vote?  Never heard of that.

Roundball999

Quote from: bballfan13 on November 08, 2013, 09:36:03 AM
Anyone else think it's a bit ridiculous to split your vote?  Never heard of that.
I guess I don't see the problem, just last year there were conference co-champions.  There have been numerous ties for 2nd as well.  Sure, it's not usual for a coach to vote that way but since conference ties happen all the time, I don't see why a coach can't predict that.