WBB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 14, 2005, 05:46:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbald eagle

RMC sitting pretty in d3hoops.com's preseason poll  :)  may you have lots of luck & no injuries, ladies!

bbald eagle

Quote from: scottie too hottie on October 14, 2005, 09:39:11 AM
Coach Stephanie Tobey is about to start on a conquest to become the best D3 coach EVER...

new attitude: the players are responding well to her, I hear.

mybleedinghands

the players really seem to like the new head coach and assistant coach. they really seem to be working hard and have a prretty good attitude.

bbald eagle

It's time for a turn around. Best D3 coach ever is way too enthusiastic (but somebody's got be best! - why not try), but she seems headed the right way with new enthusiasm from the players.   :)

onesealteam

Welcome to Basketball Season! It looks like the RMC Women are not having too much of a problem with Christopher Newport as I am listening on the web!

There was a College Basketball Section in today's Richmond Times-Dispatch that seemed to be missing this dominant RMC Women's BBall Team. The following is a letter I wrote to the Sports Editors of the T-D that I thought some would be interested in!

Dear Mr. Stan Cary and Ms. Heather Tucker, etc.

I was very excited to receive the newspaper this morning and find an
entiresection dedicated to College Basketball. However, as I was coming
to the end ofthe section I am very disappointed that you ?forgot? the
most dominant DivisionIII team in the area AND THE NATION! The
Randolph-Macon Women's Basketball Teamis ranked 2nd in the NATION by D
III News and D3Hoops.com and 1st in theODAC!? Megan Silva, a senior
guard from right here in Richmond (I know you love that) is an
All-Americanagain ranked preseason 1st team All-American. These are just
some of theiraccolades from this season, which has not even begun!

Last season they finished in first place in the ODAC regular season, won
theODAC tournament, earned the most wins in the history of the program,
became thefirst women?s team in the ODAC to go 20-0 in the regular
season, advanced tothe NCAA Division III tournament Final Four for the
first time in the historyof both R-MC and ODAC women?s basketball,
finished second in the NCAAs, puttogether the longest winning streak in
the history of the program at 23 games,and finished ranked #2 in the
nation and #1 in the South Region. Coach CarrollLaHaye was named the
Coach of the Year by both the ODAC and the Virginia SportsInformation
Directors (VaSID).? I could go on and on with both individualand team
honors, but I think you can get the point that their record from
lastseason and their 2005-2006 preview deserved recognition today.

As a former Lady Yellow Jacket I know these young women would never
complainabout being passed over, as it seems to happen much of the time
in D IIIsports, but I am going to do it for them.? My hope is the next
time acollege basketball section comes out in the newspaper you will
include R-MC andsmaller teams that might not have the budget for the
?flyest gear? or the 45person media relations team, but do have the
players that devote their time toplay basketball well and really only
play for the love of the team and the loveof the game.

"ONLY THOSE WHO RISK GOING TOO FAR, CAN POSSIBLY FIND OUT HOW FAR THEY CAN GO"....T.S. ELIOT

hoopstermom

Great letter!!  RTD will never get the message though.  In today's paper, I could barely find the two line article about their win last night and no box scores.  What a shame. :'(

onesealteam

Yeah I got a few phone calls from various RTD reporters saying that I was "preaching to the choir!"

They could devote a quarter of a page to the men's teams at Hampden-Sydney and R-MC but nothing on R-MC women? I don't want to turn it into a men vs. women "thing" but come on, the R-MC women are good, really good and I hope they will be covered more this season, or this subscriber will cancel!
"ONLY THOSE WHO RISK GOING TOO FAR, CAN POSSIBLY FIND OUT HOW FAR THEY CAN GO"....T.S. ELIOT

emufan

Did I miss something with Katy Herr?

Why was she not in action this weekend?

Pat Coleman

Quote from: onesealteam on November 18, 2005, 07:14:22 PM
There was a College Basketball Section in today's Richmond Times-Dispatch that seemed to be missing this dominant RMC Women's BBall Team. The following is a letter I wrote to the Sports Editors of the T-D that I thought some would be interested in!

Bravo!
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

News and newspapers are being redefined by the internet.  The most authoritiative source for RMC Lady Jacket basketball is D3hoops.com.

In the process of redefining an industry, you encourage others who have your viewpoint to look to a better source than they previously had, namely the RTD.  You may eventually realize that the RTD, and the subscription that you pay, adds no value to your life.

Asking your SID to make sure that he/she uses every tool available on this web site will strengthen this site and attract new "readers".   D3hoops.com will use the content, whether the RTD does are not.

Making sure that you support financially these sources is key to their success, to wit, the Kickoff edition of D3football.com.

This won't happen overnight, but an organized force, such as that which D3Hoops.com provides, will help to re-define the market. :)

bcsportswriter

Quote from: emufan on November 20, 2005, 04:25:55 PM
Did I miss something with Katy Herr?

Why was she not in action this weekend?

Katy played 31 minutes one game and 35 the other.  She didnt shoot well according to the box score but did have 9 rebounds, 4 steals and 5 assists in the two games.  We all know she will fill up the stat sheets as the season goes on.  Anyone know how good Oglethorpe and Emory are?  I will have to say that I was surprised that BC went 0-2 down there.

bcsportswriter

Sorry...this was my part of that post.

Katy played 31 minutes one game and 35 the other.  She didnt shoot well according to the box score but did have 9 rebounds, 4 steals and 5 assists in the two games.  We all know she will fill up the stat sheets as the season goes on.  Anyone know how good Oglethorpe and Emory are?  I will have to say that I was surprised that BC went 0-2 down there.

emufan

Congrats to Amanda Renelds for being named ODAC player of the week.  She deserves it!

I wasn't at the EMU vs. MBC game. Can anyone who was there let me know what happened.  I am guessing that MBC is a much improved team and EMU didn't play to their potential.

emufan

I will answer my own question.

Looks like MBC shoot the ball well making 9-20 3's.

Congrats to Mathews and Renelds for collecting their 1000 pts in the past two games.

bcsportswriter

Got to see the Lady Eagles in action today for the first time in their home opener against Averitt.  The Lady Eagles dominated the game from start to finish and won 85-47.  Katy Herr had 16 points, 6 boards, 7 assists, and 5 steals.