The Undefeated and the Winless

Started by Greek Tragedy, November 16, 2005, 02:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Well, no undefeateds left.

Now we need to see Clarks Summit, Finlandia, and Valley Forge pick up wins.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

sac

Clarks Summit is looking at going 2-73 the last 3 years if they fail to pick up a win.  Overall just 7 wins in the past 4 seasons plus this one, possible 7-118 stretch.

Curry has managed to stay off the winless list but they're looking at a third straight season of 1-24 following an 0-25 year, which would make them 3-97 over the last 4 seasons.

Finlandia has just two games remaining to avoid an 0-19 reg. season.  They got trounced by 24 against Gogebic Community College, their single best opportunity for a win.  Both St. Scholastica and Silver Lake, their remaining two opponents, have already beaten the Lions in Hancock.

hopefan

Just to close out the 2018-19 season...

No one finishes undefeated

Clark's Summitt and Finlandia finish winless
Valley Forge finishes winless vs D3
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

thebear

So Potsdam and Wisconsin-Platteville [2x] still the only undefeated D-III national champs.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Gregory Sager

Bear, did Pony Bullock, Brendan Mitchell, Barry Stanton and the boys used to do the old '72 Dolphins routine and uncork the champagne every year whenever the last undefeated team in D3 went down until Bo Ryan's 1994-95 UW-Platteville team finally ran the table?
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

thebear

I'm sure they followed it, but remember the next year, the core of that team [Bullock graduated] won 28 in a row was ranked #1 in the country and got sent on the road for the Elite 8 to Clark where they lost on a late 3 point shot, ending their string at 60 straight.

The way they seed now, an undefeated #1 with a decent facility [Jerry Welsh Gym seats about 3,000] would host [barring a woman's team conflict] all the way through until the final four. 

- Sgt. Joe Friday

thebear

and the 1981 Potsdam Bears won the national title on their opponents [Augustana] home court in OT.

- Sgt. Joe Friday

Gregory Sager

... a fact of which I've had recourse to remind an Augustana fan once or twice. ;)

thebear

- Sgt. Joe Friday

augie77

Quote from: thebear on February 25, 2019, 10:07:06 PM
and the 1981 Potsdam Bears won the national title on their opponents [Augustana] home court in OT.

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 25, 2019, 10:43:14 PM
... a fact of which I've had recourse to remind an Augustana fan once or twice. ;)

No need to remind this Augustana fan.  LeRoy Witherspoon's 45 foot buzzer beater to force overtime still haunts me.  I was there!

thebear

I just looked at the video again, I would say 35 feet... two steps outside the 28 foot hash mark.

Only counted for two back then.
- Sgt. Joe Friday

ronk

Quote from: thebear on February 26, 2019, 08:25:23 PM
I just looked at the video again, I would say 35 feet... two steps outside the 28 foot hash mark.

What link provides the video? Augustana archives?

Gregory Sager

Quote from: augie77 on February 26, 2019, 08:03:53 PM
Quote from: thebear on February 25, 2019, 10:07:06 PM

Quote from: Gregory Sager on February 25, 2019, 10:43:14 PM

No need to remind this Augustana fan.  LeRoy Witherspoon's 45 foot buzzer beater to force overtime still haunts me.  I was there!

I wouldn't do it to you, Steve. But there are other Augustana fans who are, shall we say, less inclined to politesse than you -- especially when it comes to deriding North Park about something or another. ;)

thebear

Quote from: ronk on February 26, 2019, 08:35:06 PM
Quote from: thebear on February 26, 2019, 08:25:23 PM

What link provides the video? Augustana archives?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xpn2W4mU4-U

- Sgt. Joe Friday

augie77

Bear, you're forcing me to relive the nightmare!   :'(  This was the first time I've seen this since that fateful day in 1981.  I was hoping for a different outcome on the replay, but it's not to be.  Upon review, I agree with the 35 feet estimate.

+k (with tears)