MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

Quote from: WUPHF on June 09, 2020, 01:37:41 PM
Very interesting decision.

The footprints of the American Midwest Conference is more compact and should reduce travel costs, though this was surely more about an enrollment management strategy.

Can you explain what you mean by the part I bolded above. Not questioning it, just wanting to understand.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: y_jack_lok on June 09, 2020, 06:59:51 PM
Quote from: WUPHF on June 09, 2020, 01:37:41 PM
Very interesting decision.

The footprints of the American Midwest Conference is more compact and should reduce travel costs, though this was surely more about an enrollment management strategy.

Can you explain what you mean by thenpartbI bolded above. Not questioning it, just wanting to understand.

A lot of schools do better offering partial athletic scholarships to lots of kids than distributing that money across the student body as D3 requires.  I'm not sure how Iowa Wesleyan did or will do their scholarships, but a lot of NAIA schools find students are more likely to attend with a small athletic scholarship than if offered the same amount as general aid.  The idea of being on scholarship is more enticing, even if the bottom line is the same.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

y_jack_lok

WUPHF

Ryan said more or less what I would have said.

I am making an assumption that Iowa Wesleyan is joining the American Midwest Conference though they could join the Heart of America.  The AMC lost Lindenwood-Belleville and they surely needed to replace that program.

I did not realize this, but the previous SLIAC commissioner is now with the American Midwest Conference.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: WUPHF on June 10, 2020, 11:05:22 AM
I did not realize this, but the previous SLIAC commissioner is now with the American Midwest Conference.

Right. Will Wolper left the SLIAC for that position.

GU1999

GU has added games to the calendar linked through their site. 

The non-conference schedule looks great.

Pacific (@ Whitworth) (Pacific 2019-20 record // 7 - 18)  A great way to start the season with a team building trip to the Pacific Northwest. Pacific plays very fast.

Whitworth (@ Whitworth)
  (Whitworth 2019-20 record // 23 - 6) Whitworth also plays fast.  There will be many points scored in the great northwest.

North Central (@ GU) (NC 2019-20 record // 23-5)

This is the back end of a home and home with the CCIW power.  Will the absence of two first CCIW first teamers Matt Cappelletti & Connor Raridon matter in this one?

Loras (@ Loras) (Loras 2019-20 record // 17 - 9)

Great to play Loras and Coach Chris Martin.  This board will certainly remember that Coach Martin's brother Brandon was a three time all-SLIAC forward for the Panthers and a first team player in '05.

North Park (@ home) (North Park 2019-20 record // 4 - 21)

Last time these two teams connected in Chicago it was not pretty ending at 153 - 113.  GU rarely takes off the press, but did so roughly mid-point of the second half.  Good to be able to host CCIW teams in Greenville. 

Russ DeVette Holiday Classic at Hope (two games)
Teams listed are Hope, Monmouth, GU and ??
(Hope 2019-20 record // 12-14) (Monmouth 2019-20 record // 14 - 11)

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I sure hope that Whitworth trip happens.  Those would indeed be fun games to watch.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Greek Tragedy

I believe Pacific runs an uptempo modified system style of play. Fun to watch, indeed.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

GU1999

It has come to my attention that I missed a game for GU's non-con.

GU @ UW-Whitewater (UW-W 2019-20 record // 7 - 19)
Game to be played on December 15. 

y_jack_lok

Statement from the SLIAC on fall sports:https://www.sliac.org/general/2020-21/releases/20200709lwviuh

Here's the main point: "It is the current intention of the SLIAC to host regularly sponsored SLIAC intercollegiate athletics as well as non-conference opponents on all nine member campuses."

hopefan

Quote from: y_jack_lok on July 13, 2020, 03:21:23 PM
Statement from the SLIAC on fall sports:https://www.sliac.org/general/2020-21/releases/20200709lwviuh

Here's the main point: "It is the current intention of the SLIAC to host regularly sponsored SLIAC intercollegiate athletics as well as non-conference opponents on all nine member campuses."

In contrast to the statement above, I was told yesterday (by insider) that the chances "did not look good" that fall sports would take place in the SLIAC.... I must say that the statement posted by the SLIAC that their current intentions were to play, both shocked and disappointed me....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

y_jack_lok

^^^ From the very beginning of the pandemic (late March/early April in terms of the seriousness of it being truly acknowledged) I felt that even in the best of cases fall sports would be in jeopardy and that basketball might be as well. So, given that the country has failed to contain the virus I, like hopefan, was surprised that the SLIAC announced it would play fall sports. Now, if the U.S. had done what New Zealand, Taiwan, most of Europe, etc. have done, I might have been wrong in my earlier thoughts about fall sports and might actually feel comfortable with them being played. Now, who knows when we will see sports again. I'm not sure if a vaccine by the end of the year can salvage spring sports. Unlike the NBA, MLB, etc., college sports can't exist in a bubble. It's not just the athletes and coaches at risk, it is entire campus communities.

I would love to hear what WUPFH has to say about this, since he works at a local university.

WUPHF

Everyone I talk to is publicly optimistic about the Fall season, even if scaled back, and even more optimistic about the Winter season, but if you look at the move by St. Louis County to limit youth sports based on a supposed spike in youth cases (n. 26 as of yesterday), I think the Fall is surely going to be cancelled.

GU1999

I am just glad to see a HopeFan post on the SLIAC board.  Welcome back old friend.

As for the Fall seasons and beyond...

I, too, am unbelievably disappointed that due to the abdication of leadership by the White House and in many State Houses around the country coupled with the selfishness of tens millions of others, we very likely end up forfeiting some pretty great things, just one of those things are small college sports in the near future.  Of course the larger casualties will be a good  number of institutions which host said small college sports and a lot of in person k - 12 education in many large urban cores and their related sports programs.  Our elections and frankly our own personal selfishness has consequences.

That said, IL's positive test rate remains well below the 5% threshold which allows it to stay in IL stage 4 and allows for athletic competition to take place.  Other SLIAC states are above, or significantly above, the 5% threshold.   

7 day rolling positive rate average:
IL - 3.1
MO - 6.0
KY - 6.5
IA (for one more year) - 9.3   

Either way, the SLIAC could never handle the current iteration of the NCAA competition standards which include the rapid testing component.

WUPHF

Illinois has had way more deaths and cases per million than Missouri and in my prediction, will do far more to regulate inter-varsity competition and the youth and college level.  Just a guess.