East Region Playoff Discussion

Started by pg04, November 10, 2006, 11:00:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightstalker

Quote from: footballfan75 on November 02, 2010, 10:25:19 AM
Ok so I just got thinking about what someone said about beating MUC this year and having a real chance. Here is what I was thinking of an east bracket even though its probably unrealistic....

1 MUC
2 Del Val
3 Empire 8
4 NJAC
5 Suny Maritime
6 NEFC
7 SLU
8 NJAC Runner up

I just don't think a runner up should be rank so high and I think they could beat up on MUC a little for the next week when they should face the NJAC champion who could have a legit chance at beating MUC. Assuming MSU is the NJAC Champs, they held with them in the first half last year and MUC is a little weaker this year while Mont Clair has got better.  I'm just saying why let MUC have a walk through in the first and second round?

If the Pool C comes from the NJAC or the E? they will be the #5 seed in your scenario above.  No matter if you think a runner should not be ranked higher SLU would probably be the first victim for UMU.  The 4th place NJAC or E? team is most likely better than your 5, 6 or 7 up there.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

theoriginalupstate

This is just a gut feeling but I believe there are going to be two 9-1 teams in the east that are going to be very unhappy come selection day...

I think SJF and the NJAC runner-up might get the short end of the stick...

fisheralum91

Upstate- If Fisher goes 9-1 and doesnt make the NCAAS there will be some real 'splainin to do.
I cant see a scenerio where they dont get in.
One in conference loss?
Hell i should just hope IC beats AU so Fisher gets the AQ instead!

Ick- root for IC....But hell ill do it!

Bombers798891

I'm just saying why let MUC have a walk through in the first and second round?

Because the whole point of being #1 is that you're rewarded with that walk. The idea isn't to make it tougher for MUC (or any 1-seed), it's to make it easier. St Lawrence would be the worst team by far in the region (sorry LL guys) and therefore, that should the match-up.

How is you scenario fair to anyone? It gives MUC and the NJAC runner-up a tougher opponent than they deserve (each other) while simultaneously rewarding St. Lawrence and Delaware Valley with an easier opponent than they deserve

lewdogg11

I think Fisher probably has a little more clout in the selection process just because of their recent past.  I think they SHOULD be a lock at 9-1.

Jonny Utah

We also have to remember that for many years the Stagg Bowl have been bad blowouts.

footballfan75

I agree that the NJAC's 3rd or 4th place team could beat 5,6,7. What i am saying is that if your conference has an AQ then i think you should be able to have higher rankings. I mean that team won their conference whether its the ECFC or the NJAC.

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 02, 2010, 11:30:00 AM
I’m just saying why let MUC have a walk through in the first and second round?

Because the whole point of being #1 is that you're rewarded with that walk. The idea isn't to make it tougher for MUC (or any 1-seed), it's to make it easier. St Lawrence would be the worst team by far in the region (sorry LL guys) and therefore, that should the match-up.

How is you scenario fair to anyone? It gives MUC and the NJAC runner-up a tougher opponent than they deserve (each other) while simultaneously rewarding St. Lawrence and Delaware Valley with an easier opponent than they deserve

Why not reward Del Val. They deserve to be the number one seed. While the NJAC runner up should be happy to make the playoffs. Im sure ECFC runner up, LL runner up, NEFC runner up, or any other runner up wouldn't complain about making the playoffs and having to play MUC. They would be happy just to play in the NCAAs

maxpower

Do they deserve it more than MUC? Regions aren't really the brackets remember.... you wouldn't put the #1 and #2 teams in the country in the same region in March Madness, would you?

Bombers798891

Quote from: footballfan75 on November 02, 2010, 12:43:12 PM
I agree that the NJAC's 3rd or 4th place team could beat 5,6,7. What i am saying is that if your conference has an AQ then i think you should be able to have higher rankings. I mean that team won their conference whether its the ECFC or the NJAC.

Quote from: Bombers798891 on November 02, 2010, 11:30:00 AM
I'm just saying why let MUC have a walk through in the first and second round?

Why not reward Del Val. They deserve to be the number one seed.

Um...because they AREN'T the number one seed? The number one seed gets the easiest match-up. Period. This is how sports works. You're the top seed, you get the worst possible opponent. MUC will be the top seed. SLU is the worst team in the bracket. They play.

labart96

Quote from: Pat Coleman on November 01, 2010, 10:33:51 PM
Quote from: TGP on November 01, 2010, 07:46:54 PM
I really only see 1 Pool C from the east if SUNY M goes 10-0.

As always, these are UNRELATED. The identity of the Pool B teams has no effect on the identity of the Pool C teams.

thx pat but that wasn't the point i was trying to make.  the point was that if the scenario / bracket came out with 6 pool a's and 1 pool b (making the assumption that the committee posts SUNY M in the "east" but having caveated that previously saying they could be in the "south" given their LI location, which in that scenario, would obviously enable two Cs in the "east" unless the Committee decided to have 7 or 8 As but that's probably unlikely due to geographic/travel considerations) in the "east bracket", there would only be room for 1 pool c team. 

i get that there will be 3 bs and 6 cs irrespective of "who they are".

union89

Quote from: Jonny Podunk on November 01, 2010, 08:27:32 PM
So here are the possible pool C teams with one loss as I can see it (besides the NJAC teams, and if Ithaca won out, they might be ranked around 25-30 at that point.)

Ohio Northern
Bethel
Augustana/North Central loser
Wartburg/Central/Coe (2 of those teams have a good chance of having 1 loss)
Pacific Lutheran
Hardin Simmons (they have a 50% chance of losing one more game)
Wittenburg (if they lose to Wabash)
Thomas Moore (if they lose to Waynesburg which probably won't happen)
Trine (Would they make it if they lose to a 6-4 conference champ Albion?)
Hamden-Sydney (if they lose one of their last two games which they probably wont)
Redlands

Yea those are a lot of good teams in there.  My only hope for Ithaca would be this:
Hardin Simmons loses another game.
Wartburg beats Central, Coe loses to Buena Vista
Wittenberg beats Wabash

Then it looks like there might be a spot or two for an east team and Ithaca would hope they would get picked over an NJAC one loss team.

Damn....Utah is doin' work today!!

bomber3

Finally, someone else who sees IC could earn an at-large if they win out.  I absolutely agree they could get in @ 8-2 if the cards fall right.  I bring it up in the ERPP and get ripped.  @ 8-2 with their SOS and the strength of the E8 I absolutely think they deserve to get in.  Especially since that means they would have beaten Cortland in Cortland.

+K when I get back to a computer!

Pat Coleman

Hampden-Sydney plays the other two top teams in the ODAC back-to-back to close the season and one is its archrival. Certainly possible for H-SC to lose. If H-SC loses to Washington and Lee on Saturday, W&L gets the automatic bid no matter what H-SC does against Randolph-Macon to finish.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

theoriginalupstate

Quote from: bomber3 on November 02, 2010, 06:42:09 PM
Finally, someone else who sees IC could earn an at-large if they win out.  I absolutely agree they could get in @ 8-2 if the cards fall right.  I bring it up in the ERPP and get ripped.  @ 8-2 with their SOS and the strength of the E8 I absolutely think they deserve to get in.  Especially since that means they would have beaten Cortland in Cortland.

+K when I get back to a computer!

Absolute and deserve are pretty strong terms to use...

Maybe I'm paranoid but considering what is going on around the division III world even at 9-1 I'm worried about SJF not getting a bid.  So how someone can just flat out say they think an 8-2 team absolutely deserves an at large bid is just blind and misguided homerism at its finest...

labart96

May also be a mute point if Alfred beats IC this weekend too....