2013 Division III NCAA Tournament

Started by Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan), May 11, 2012, 07:58:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gregory Sager

Quote from: John Gleich on March 24, 2013, 06:50:01 PM
Quote from: FCGrizzliesGrad on March 23, 2013, 11:33:05 PM
Purple Power isn't content to just be in football... three of the Final Four and both in the championship game don purple.

It's more than just that... The last three champions (Whitewater, St. Thomas, and Stevens Point) wear purple. In fact, in the last 10 year, only Wash U (Christmas colors) and Virginia Wesleyan) haven't worn purple. And this year, the champ will continue the streak of amazingness.

The complete and utter purpleness of D3 football at the championship-game level is long-standing, though. For nine straight years the D3 football championship game, the Stagg Bowl, has been an all-purple affair. For seven years it was UWW vs. Mount Union, and then this past year it was UST vs. Mount Union. The irony is that, in the year before the seven years of UWW vs. UMU, that nine-year reign of the color of royalty began when it was doubly repped in the Stagg Bowl, but not by the Warhawks, the Purple Raiders, or the Tommies. It was repped back in the 2004 Stagg Bowl by Linfield and -- wait for it -- Mary Hardin-Baylor.

There's been at least one purple team in every Stagg Bowl held in this millennium. Only twice in the last twenty years (1995 and 1999) has there failed to be a purple team in the Stagg Bowl. The purple Stagg Bowl schools included during that time span are Mount Union, Albion, Linfield, Mary Hardin-Baylor, UW-Whitewater, and St. Thomas. It's an almost-crazy coincidence, since purple is not a very common color among American colleges and universities.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Quote from: ronk on March 24, 2013, 07:57:00 PM
And it's the 30th anniversary of the PURPLE Royals of Scranton winning the national championship; hopefully, we'll be back soon, having beaten 3 of this year's elite 8(Middlebury, North Central, Cabrini) in the last 2 seasons.

The very first D3 men's basketball tournament was won back in 1975 by (now D2) LeMoyne-Owen College, as the Magicians defeated Rowan, 57-54.

Guess which color the Magicians wore, and still wear?

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

gordonmann

Meanwhile Rick Reilly wrote this past week that a purple team has never won the Division I title. So there's proof that Mount Union and Amherst should move to D1.

(I'm totally kidding...unless it helps Trinity win more basketball games).

Pat Coleman

Quote from: AO on March 23, 2013, 02:37:12 PM
Salem does not have a great brand for D3 basketball.  I'm sure they do a good job, but clearly, there are very few fans who know about it.  I bet if you took a poll of all the d3 players in the nation the vast majority would have no idea the final four takes place in Salem.  The game isn't on tv, and with a lot of repeat teams playing in it every year, most players won't have played against a final four team during their time in college.

If you do everything right, but you have a bad location, the student-athlete experience will suffer.  They want to see their friends, family and fans there.

Maybe at Northwestern they don't know but out here in the rest of the world, people do. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ronk

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 24, 2013, 08:47:18 PM
Quote from: ronk on March 24, 2013, 07:57:00 PM
And it's the 30th anniversary of the PURPLE Royals of Scranton winning the national championship; hopefully, we'll be back soon, having beaten 3 of this year's elite 8(Middlebury, North Central, Cabrini) in the last 2 seasons.

The very first D3 men's basketball tournament was won back in 1975 by (now D2) LeMoyne-Owen College, as the Magicians defeated Rowan, 57-54.

Guess which color the Magicians wore, and still wear?

Well, I might as well add that Scranton won in 76, also; maybe the non-purple championships < 10?

Andy Archibald

Extremely excited about The Cru headed to the National Championship! Booking flights and excited about going to Atlanta. Wish it wasn't two weeks away but we will take it!

GO CRU!
National Champions 2016, 2018, 2021!

twitter: @andyarchibald

magicman

Wasn't sure where the best place was to post this, but figured this was as good a spot as any. Also not sure if anyone else posted about this.

Andy Enfield, the coach of the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles, who everyone knows by now is the 1st #15 seed to advance to the Sweet Sixteen in DI, is a graduate of DIII Johns Hopkins University. Not only did he go there, he is the all time leading scorer for the  Blue Jays with over 2000 career points. He holds 16 JHU records and holds the NCAA record for career free throw percentage with a 92.5% mark over 4 seasons. He was 431x466 from the line. He also owns the top two single season point totals for JHU. Here is the link to his bio from the Florida Gulf Coast University website. I wonder which big time college will come knocking when this season's over. Maybe UCLA? ;D Hard to believe he'll be at FGCU for very long, unless he's got a lot of "Mark Few" in him.

http://www.fgcuathletics.com/mbasketball/coaches/

Here's a link to a story on the Johns Hopkins website about their Hall of Famer's success. This article was written before FGCU won their first game against Georgetown. Now that they've won 2 games and made the Sweet Sixteen the website will probably have another story. 8-)

http://www.hopkinssports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032213aab.html   

Ralph Turner

Thanks, magicman.  Incredible parity has hit D-1!

frank uible

Isn't a basketball player's membership in the Johns Hopkins Athletics Hall of Fame more or less analogous to the most humid spot in the Atacama?

AO

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 24, 2013, 09:23:38 PM
Quote from: AO on March 23, 2013, 02:37:12 PM
Salem does not have a great brand for D3 basketball.  I'm sure they do a good job, but clearly, there are very few fans who know about it.  I bet if you took a poll of all the d3 players in the nation the vast majority would have no idea the final four takes place in Salem.  The game isn't on tv, and with a lot of repeat teams playing in it every year, most players won't have played against a final four team during their time in college.

If you do everything right, but you have a bad location, the student-athlete experience will suffer.  They want to see their friends, family and fans there.

Maybe at Northwestern they don't know but out here in the rest of the world, people do. :)
The rest of the world being the 500 in attendance at any one point Friday, and the maybe couple thousand viewing the games online?  Did you ask the Mary Hardin-Baylor players when they knew about Salem?  It's Salem Virginia in a venue best known for being the location of the Borat Rodeo Scene.

Pat Coleman

Considering the UMHB football program has played for a title in Salem and has been a contender to return ever since, I suspect the UMHB players know full well. I see the football and basketball players interact on Twitter so I know they talk. :)
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

AO

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 25, 2013, 11:32:34 AM
Considering the UMHB football program has played for a title in Salem and has been a contender to return ever since, I suspect the UMHB players know full well. I see the football and basketball players interact on Twitter so I know they talk. :)
I'd also bet that most of the football players were well into the playoffs before learning of Salem unless the coach made a special point of telling them.

Pat Coleman

Talking about 12 years ago or so when they first made the playoffs? That's certainly possible. UMHB has only had football since 1997.

Salem is not going to have the sports cultural impact of Omaha but I look at it this way -- we get about 10 times as many questions asking where the women's Final Four is as we do for the men's Final Four. And considering that two-thirds of our traffic is men's, that suggests there's a great deal of recognition that Salem is the destination in MBB.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: AO on March 25, 2013, 11:38:22 AM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 25, 2013, 11:32:34 AM
I'd also bet that most of the football players were well into the playoffs before learning of Salem unless the coach made a special point of telling them.
Salem has been the focus of ASC and Texas D-III football from the very beginning.

The provincial nature of which Texans view their football (Dallas Cowboys - America's Team! Friday Night Lights? State Championship high school football games that draw 50,000 fans?  High school football stadia that cost up to $60M) means that Salem has been the desired destination since HSU and Trinity were the "kings of the hill", trying to win the Stagg.

The poignancy of a story line will be if Coach DeWeese brings the Walnut-and-Bronce home before UMHB football Coach Fredenburg.

AO

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 25, 2013, 11:44:28 AM
Talking about 12 years ago or so when they first made the playoffs? That's certainly possible. UMHB has only had football since 1997.

Salem is not going to have the sports cultural impact of Omaha but I look at it this way -- we get about 10 times as many questions asking where the women's Final Four is as we do for the men's Final Four. And considering that two-thirds of our traffic is men's, that suggests there's a great deal of recognition that Salem is the destination in MBB.
I'm talking about the 2012 team.  Texas football players know about JerryWorld, they don't know about Salem.  You're going to have a rough time building a brand when the game isn't on TV, the venue isn't memorable and the atmosphere is often worst than the typical first round game.