Future of Division III

Started by Ralph Turner, October 10, 2005, 07:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Knightstalker

Quote from: Gregory Sager on August 11, 2006, 01:35:14 AM
Quote from: knightstalker on August 10, 2006, 10:55:06 PM
All these silly semantics are why my nephew enjoys coaching at an NAIA school more fun than coaching at an NCAA school.

That's because at NAIA schools they think "semantics" was the nose-twitching babe that was married to Darren on Bewitched.

I thought semantics was the stuff used to glue thing.  Take that broken piece and semantic back to the vase.

Like my nephew says, I may not be very C-A-T- smart but you can't catch me.   :D  Besides someone has to be nice to all the lonely, confused kids that wander into the middle of nowhere and end up going to Houghton.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

wilburt

Quote from: Hoops Fan on August 10, 2006, 03:56:19 PM

Yes but when two teams use the same facilities to practice at the same time, they are not necessarily practicing together.  I would extend that to the course or the pool.  Just because the two teams occupy the same space, does not mean they are practicing together.

Hoops Fan you sound like a former President I know trying to define what the word "is" is  ;D   Now that's semantical  :D
Fisk University: Founded by Missionaries, Saved by Students.

Six time SIAC Football Champions 1913, 1915, 1919, 1923, 1973 and 1975.

Six NFL draft picks and one Pro Bowler!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

"Is" can be a very confusing word, man.  And Frank, I'm not sure where Kurt Cobain figures into any of this.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

frank uible

Cobain is dead - if only the NCAA were.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: frank uible on August 11, 2006, 01:12:29 PM
Cobain is dead - if only the NCAA were.

And that response, my friends, cannot be topped.  Short and to the point--that's why he's on the list of future hall of famers.

wilburt

Do D3 coaches/ADs have to worry about athletes posting on myspace.com ot perhaps even d3hoops.com?  Check out the article about D1 coaches monitoring posts on myspace.com and the like.

http://tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060814/COLUMNIST0202/608140355/1106/SPORTS

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I don't think the issue in that particular article regarding online journal sites is as big of an issue for colleges.  There are plenty of things that athletes can't do that "regular" students can do simply because the athlete is officially a representative of the institution.  I don't see how that will change too much.  The only issue might be because the athletes are not employees, but I don't see that being a big deal.  Each school will determine what their athletes can and can't do and what the consequences are and the athletes will have to agree to it to play, just like they do any other behavior policy.

The big trouble a lot of schools are getting into with myspace and other sites in recruiting.  A kid posts he's choosing between UK and Florida, then all the boosters come out of the woodwork to post on his site and persuade him.  That may not be as big of an issue in d3, but you never know.  This may be an off-shoot of the texting policy the NCAA is currently working on.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Newsweek today has a list of 25 "Hot" schools for students looking for Ivy alternatives.  D3 is well represented with Bowdoin, CMU, Colby, Kenyon, Emory, CMS, Macalester, NYU, Rochester, RPI, Skidmore, Tufts and WashU all on the list.  (They included Williams, Amherst, Middlebury, Swarthmore and Wesleyan with the traditional powers, so don't get all uppity my NESCAC friends).

Interestingly, they did a whole write-up on Kenyon and didn't mention swimming at all.

wilburt

Interesting news.  Did any NAIA schools make the "Ivy" list?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

The rest of the list (by the way, the only schools excluded from contention were the Ivies and the five non-Ivies previously mentioned) is:

Boston College
Colgate (I bet a bunch of you thought they were an Ivy, but that would be Cornell)
Davidson
Michigan
UNC-Chapel Hill
Notre Dame
Olin College of Engineering (really cool school; you should check it out)
Reed College (where the inmates run the asylum, in a good way)
Rice
UCLA
Vanderbilt
UVA

They also put in a plug for the big four Scottish Universities (Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow and St. Andrews).

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Hoops Fan on August 15, 2006, 04:49:27 PM

The rest of the list (by the way, the only schools excluded from contention were the Ivies and the five non-Ivies previously mentioned) is:

Boston College
Colgate (I bet a bunch of you thought they were an Ivy, but that would be Cornell)
Davidson
Michigan
UNC-Chapel Hill
Notre Dame
Rice
UCLA
Vanderbilt
UVA

They also put in a plug for the big four Scottish Universities (Edinburgh, Aberdeen, Glasgow and St. Andrews).

Has McGill fallen from the list of the favored? ??? :-\

Knightstalker

Quote from: Ralph Turner on August 15, 2006, 06:31:41 PM
Quote from: Hoops Fan on August 15, 2006, 04:49:27 PM

Boston College
Davidson
Michigan
UNC-Chapel Hill
Notre Dame
Rice
UCLA
Vanderbilt
UVA

Has McGill fallen from the list of the favored? ??? :-\

I am kind of surprised that Lafayette is not on that list.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

'gro

Quote from: Hoops Fan on August 15, 2006, 12:53:14 PM
Newsweek today has a list of 25 "Hot" schools for students looking for Ivy alternatives.  D3 is well represented with Bowdoin, CMU, Colby, Kenyon, Emory, CMS, Macalester, NYU, Rochester, RPI, Skidmore, Tufts and WashU all on the list.

and when it comes to football, I think RPI has them all beat. At least Emory.

Quote from: enginegro on August 03, 2006, 10:36:35 AM
I think that RPI has one of the best combinations of academic excellence and football performance in D3... even someone not as biased (for obvious reasons) as myself would have to put them in the top 5-10.

somebody at Newsweek's picking up what I'm droping off. Nice article.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I guess they skipped Canada.  Time had a similar article (as they always due, stupid copycats) and mentioned McGill and U of Toronto as North of the Border options.  I'm guessing at this point McGill is no longer a secret (much like Williams, Amherst and Middlebury).

hoopwitch

Proposed ncaa legislation may limit the use of males as practice players in all DIII sports.  The other divisions are looking into this too.  I know that DIII basketball coaches are against this legislation but what about other sport coaches?  The reason given for the change is that women are being denied practice time when males take a spot on the court or field (I'm not sure how prevelent this practice is in other sports?).  If females are sitting on the sidelines in practice then it is poor coaching rather than the fault of any male in practice.  Males allow the best females to face better competition (stronger, taller, etc.).   Males allow females to go against a tougher pressing defense.  Males allow teams with low numbers to full court scrimmage.  I'm afraid that this is another example of one person making a statement at a committee meeting (probably the NCAA Committee on Women's Athletics) and then the issue gains a life of it's own.  Of course, look who is now being targeted...DIII!