Press coverage (Articles about D3 players or D3 in general)

Started by K-Mack, February 12, 2007, 07:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K-Mack

I'm sure we have had threads devoted to this in the past, and I'm not sure if there should be rules on this one (like no local features about some guy on some team with no hook that would be interesting to other D3 readers), but I thought I'd start a new thread anyway.

Byron Westbrook (Salisbury), brother of the Eagles' Brian, trying to get an NFL look.

There are also a ton of papers which ran something this week on UW-Stout implementing random drug testing.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

K-Mack

Quote from: JT on February 13, 2007, 03:41:43 PM
Here we go again:

Nerds vs. DIII Athletics

Yeah, I came by to post this one. Just to clarify, it's a D4 story ... wanting D3 to split into two subdivisions, from the New York Times, pretty sure it's the same writer that did the admissions thing with Shenandoah and Utica (for which I was admonished for leaving out of year in review) last summer (and NBC picked it up in the fall).

Title is Division III Seeks Harmony Between Field and Classroom, FWIW.

Haven't read it all yet, but feel free to chime in here if you have.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.

JT

Quote from: K-Mack on February 13, 2007, 06:48:35 PM
Here we go again:

Nerds vs. DIII Athletics

Yeah, I came by to post this one. Just to clarify, it's a D4 story ... wanting D3 to split into two subdivisions, from the New York Times, pretty sure it's the same writer that did the admissions thing with Shenandoah and Utica (for which I was admonished for leaving out of year in review) last summer (and NBC picked it up in the fall).

Its all crap.  We can't or don't want to compete, so let's change the rules and inconvenience everyone else.

This is equivalent to every little kid getting a trophy no matter where they finished.  Ties.... no winners or losers.  Yuck!

Sakman 1111

Quote from: JT on February 14, 2007, 09:23:00 AM
Here we go again:

Nerds vs. DIII Athletics
JT I couldn't agree with you more....The Nerds have intramurals please leave D3 Athletics alone......

Its all crap.  We can't or don't want to compete, so let's change the rules and inconvenience everyone else.

This is equivalent to every little kid getting a trophy no matter where they finished.  Ties.... no winners or losers.  Yuck!

K-Mack

Gordon Mann, aka Urlacher, passed along this gem. Pretty good piece actually (and no, this is not the New York Times promotional thread, just happening that way so far  ;) )

QuoteThere's a college sports dynasty at Lake Forest and I never even knew it.

- Casey Urlacher
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Quote from: Sakman 1111 on February 14, 2007, 11:46:38 AM
Here we go again:

Nerds vs. DIII Athletics
JT I couldn't agree with you more....The Nerds have intramurals please leave D3 Athletics alone......

Well,
I don't like any more than you two, but I see it a little differently. I'm not sure creating a Division IV wouldn't bring about as many problems as it creates.

And what exactly is so wrong about the current Division III? It seems to allow flexibility so that conferences can localize their choices about who they play, how much they emphasize athletics, etc.

It really only becomes a problem in postseason competition, but there's not much to suggest that small private colleges aren't just as successful as Division III public state schools. It varies from sport to sport, but even if Division III splits into two, there's going to be diversity within those groupings as well.

I'd be interested to see what the models for realignment are. And I'd hate to see how we have it change, I think teh diversity is a real asset, especially beyond football. The No. 1/No. 2 example in basketball was a really good point.

First thoughts, anyway.
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

K-Mack

Here we go again:

Nerds vs. DIII Athletics

PUT QUOTE HERE

Hey Sakman,
You got your quote in the wrong place ... looks like you're putting words in my mouth. :)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take

JT

Quote from: K-Mack on February 15, 2007, 09:20:09 PM
Here we go again:

Nerds vs. DIII Athletics

Well,
I don't like any more than you two, but I see it a little differently. I'm not sure creating a Division IV wouldn't bring about as many problems as it creates.

And what exactly is so wrong about the current Division III? It seems to allow flexibility so that conferences can localize their choices about who they play, how much they emphasize athletics, etc.

It really only becomes a problem in postseason competition, but there's not much to suggest that small private colleges aren't just as successful as Division III public state schools. It varies from sport to sport, but even if Division III splits into two, there's going to be diversity within those groupings as well.

I'd be interested to see what the models for realignment are. And I'd hate to see how we have it change, I think teh diversity is a real asset, especially beyond football. The No. 1/No. 2 example in basketball was a really good point.

First thoughts, anyway.

I think the DIII system works fine.  The full college experience includes sports for many students, even if they don't play sports.  Why else are DIII schools adding football, because it increases enrollment.... particularly male enrollment.

janesvilleflash

I think the idea of some schools going D4 is unappealing because of the name more than anything else. How about leaving d3 and creating a D2A, non\scholarship?
If you can't ignore an insult, top it; if you can't top it, laugh it off; and if you can't laugh it off, it's probably deserved.

HScoach

If I remember right, this was discussed a few years back too.  Not sure if this would still be the case under the new breakdowns, but the old proposal would have put Mount Union into the LESSER division.  Now that would make the little guys out east really happy!
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

NCC_alum62

I think it would make the little guys out EVERYWHERE...a little happy ;)

But in all seriousness. I would rather someone else grow some balls and get some more talent and beat them on the field than have to move them to a new division.  Thats just cheating :D
North Central College, back to back CCIW Champs! 2006, 2007.

Pat Coleman

I should have put this here, too:

Michael Allan is trying to end Division III's NFL draft drought and attended a speed camp in preparation for the combine. Follow link to get to the video feature.

http://www.d3football.com
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Knightstalker

OK it's basketball but I would like to hear more about kids like this:
Dana John

I reread this and did not like how I originally worded it, so I changed it.

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

K-Mack

In keeping with this topic (for those of us talking D4, we should probably head over to General, General Division III issues, Future of Division III, where they've been having this discussion a lot longer than we have) ... I found two things.

One, Trinity (Conn.) was mentioned (I think in USAT) as a squash dynasty, recently beating Princeton for another title and its 165th consecutive match or whatever.

Sorry you gotta Google on your own for more, but I thought that was relevant after the Lake Forest Handball Dynasty feature was posted here.

Also:

Randomly, reading up on the history of Uncle Tom's Cabin, on Wikipedia:

QuoteOrigins
Stowe wrote the novel as a response to the 1850 passage of the second Fugitive Slave Act, which punished those who aided runaway blacks and diminished the rights of fugitives as well as freed blacks. Much of the book was composed in Brunswick, Maine, while Calvin Stowe taught at his alma mater, Bowdoin College.[4]

Hey! You're more than just the alma mater of marathoner Joan Benoit Samuelsson!
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Nastradamus, Triple Take