MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Quote from: gordonmann on March 04, 2012, 12:01:24 AM
Great effort by Hobart tonight. The Statesmen showed a lot of heart tonight.

It was a great effort by Hobart as they almost pulled off the upset on Cabrini's home court. Hobart had a 5 point lead with under 2 minutes to play in regulation, but a Cory Lemons jump shot, a Hobart turnover and a three ball by Cabrini's Jeremy Knowles tied the score with 54 seconds left. Hobart turned it over again on their next possession and Lemon's shot at the buzzer to win it didn't go in. In OT the teams traded leads until Cabrini's Aaron Walton-Moss hit two free throws to put them back in front 89-88 with 13 seconds left. Hobart with a chance to win it with a final basket but once again the Statesmen fail to get a shot off as they turned it over with 2 seconds left. Another quick foul by Hobart accounted for Cabrini's final point. 

With Hobart and Oswego both losing in overtime the East Region contingent in the NCAA tournament fails to get a team into the Sweet 16. Last year we had Buffalo State and Rochester advance that far. I guess there's always next year.   

magicman

As I expected Middlebury gets to host the sectional that Oswego would have been in had they won. Just my luck that it's fairly close to me and now I can't go and watch the Lakers play. Not sure if I'll go now or not.

Congratulation to Oswego on another excellent season. Tough way for Seniors Chad Burridge, Sean Michele, Ryan Sheridan, Conor Monaghan, Brian Gebhardt and Josh Delfino to end their college careers but they can leave the hardwood knowing they gave it their best effort.

Hope that Chad's outstanding season and great NCAA tournament play will result in All American recognition. Not many big men played the minutes that he did this year (34.1 mpg). He finished his career with 1865 points (16.6 ppg) and 875 rebounds (7.8 rpg). He's a First Teamer in my book. 8-)

Could be Hayden Ward's turn next year.

magicman

Ralph Temgoua of St. Lawrence has been chosen by D3 fans to play in the Reese's NABC All Star Game in Salem Virginia which takes place just prior to the National Championship. Temgoua, along with Dylan Richter, from Washington University in St. Louis, were the top two vote getters in nationwide fan voting. Richter received 8337 votes and Temgoua got 7913 votes. Temgoua beat out the 3rd place finisher by 385 votes.
Temgoua will join 2 other East Region players that will be selected as the top 2 players in the East Region by an NABC panel. I believe one of those will be Chad Burridge from Oswego State, who was the East Region Player of the Year last year and I think is the favorite to repeat this year. I think the other player will be from these 4 choices. Matt Pebole Hobart, Andy Stein NYU, Simon Smith Stevens, or Felix LLanos Clarkson. I'm guessing it might be Simon Smith.

magicman

D3hoops has announced their All Region Teams. Chad Burridge of Oswego State is the East Region Player of the Year. Jake Simmons of Buffalo State also repeats as a First Team selection, as does Rochester's John DiBartolomeo.

A little surprised that Ithaca gets 2 players named with a 14-14 record. Would of thought Oswego State with their 26-3 D3 record would merit 2 players over the Bombers. Laker's Hayden Ward who averaged almost a double double for the season (15.7 ppg, 9.1 rpg) would have been my choice over a 2nd Ithaca player.

Three Liberty League players make the 2nd team. Matt Pebole and Stefan Thompson from Hobart, plus Gerald O'Shea from Skidmore. Surprised that the Liberty League Player of the Year, Ralph Temgoua was not named. Clarkson's Felix Llanos, who led the Liberty League in scoring also missed out. East Region and Atlantic Region only get 2 teams as the region has to have at least 40 teams to get a 3rd team named. All other regions get at least 3 teams. Hard to choose only 10 players from so many outstanding ones in the region.

I thought the biggest surprise is that 6'4" forward John Coleman from Clarkson didn't get Rookie of the Year. Here are his stats: 13.5 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 82 assists, 35 turnovers, (for a 3.28 assist to turnover ratio), 17 blocks, and 38 steals. He scored 338 points, shot 64.1% from the field, had 182 rebounds, more than half (94) were on the offensive glass, and averaged 32 minutes a game.

Aaron Nevins is a 5'10" guard from Utica College who was named the Rookie of the Year. Here are his stats. 9.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 91 assists, 61 turnovers, (for a 1.50 assist to turnover ratio), zero blocks, 32 steals. He scored 224 points, shot 39.1% from the field, had 68 rebounds, and averaged 27 minutes a game. I would expect Coleman to be better at rebounding and blocking shots, since he is a forward, but he also was better in the areas that the smaller Nevins should have had the advantage. Coleman had almost as many assists, a much better assist to turnover ratio (more than twice as good) and also had more steals. Neither player was great from the free throw line as Coleman was 24x44 (57.1%) and Nevins was 54x94 (57.4%). Just think the numbers clearly favor Coleman who's team was 16-9 over Nevins who's team was 9-16.   

Here's the East Region:

Men's All-East Region Team
Players were nominated for these awards by the Sports Information Directors at the various schools.

Player of the Year: Chad Burridge, Sr., F, Oswego State
Coach of the Year: Mike Neer, Hobart
Rookie of the Year: Aaron Nevins, G, Utica

First team

Pos. Player                    School                Yr.   Hometown

G John DiBartolomeo      Rochester           Jr.   Westport, Conn.

G Jake Simmons            Buffalo State       Jr.   Rochester, N.Y.

F Chad Burridge             Oswego State       Sr.  Hannibal, N.Y.

F Jared Suderley            Hartwick             So.  Newport, N.Y.

C Andy Stein                 New York Univ.    Sr.  Bethlehem, Pa.

Second team

Pos. Player                    School                 Yr.   Hometown

G Sean Rossi                 Ithaca                 Jr.   Lake Hopatcong, N.J.

G Gerard O'Shea           Skidmore            Sr.   West Sand Lake, N.Y.

G Stefan Thompson       Hobart               Jr.    Syracuse, N.Y.

F Simon Smith             Stevens              Sr.    Cranford, N.J.

F Matt Pebole               Hobart               Sr.    Red Bank, N.J.

C Frank Mitchell           Ithaca                So.   Hillsborough, N.J.

There was a tie for the final backcourt spot

If there was a Third team I would have the following players on it

F Hayden Ward           Oswego State       Jr.
F Chris Ryder              Hartwick              Sr.
F Kyheem Green         Brockport State    Sr.
G Ralph Temgoua       St. Lawrence        Sr.
G Felix Llanos             Clarkson              Sr.
G Sheldon Jones         Stevens               Jr.

Mike Neer picked a good time and place to return to coaching as he is named the Region's Coach of the Year.

Congratulations to Chad and Jake for their outstanding seasons. They were a pleasure to watch this year. Sorry to see Chad's illustrious career end in such a dramatic fashion. Would have liked to have seen him play a couple of more games.

Congratulations to all the players who made the Regional Teams. It looks like we'll have more than half of these guys back next year. Hopefully some East Region teams can go a little deeper in next years NCAA tournament.

Here's the D3hoops link to every one of the All Region Teams:

http://d3hoops.com/awards/all-region/2011-12/index

Pat Coleman

With players who aren't named, it's always worth considering the possibility they weren't nominated.

The Atlantic men also do not have a third team.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

magicman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 12, 2012, 07:56:57 PM
With players who aren't named, it's always worth considering the possibility they weren't nominated.

I thought about that, but all the guys I mentioned that didn't make the D3hoops teams were high profile players and were all selected for their respective All Conference teams. Hayden Ward was 1st team AC in the SUNYAC, Felix Llanos was 1st team AC in the Liberty League, Ralph Temgoua was 1st team AC and POTY in the Liberty League and John Coleman was Rookie of the Year in the Liberty League. Hard to imagine that the SID's from these schools would not nominate these outstanding players. I suppose there are SID's out there that don't bother following up on all the reminders that D3hoops sends them throughout the course of the season regarding the nomination process. After all some of them can't even go to the trouble of posting their scores on the D3 scoreboard or post the  wrong scores or post them on the wrong scoreboard.  But to deprive a deserving player from postseason accolades by simply not filling out and sending in a short form is nonsense. Most of us regard the D3hoops honors to be the definitive honors at season's end and for a player to get shortchanged by a nomination process, after working their tail off all year, just isn't right. I also realize that the teams aren't chosen by D3hoops but by the vote of the region's SID's. If these players were nominated and didn't get chosen then I think that a lot of voters weren't paying much attention to what was going on during the season. As I stated there were a lot of very good players deserving of recognition in the East this year and just thought that a few of them might have been overlooked.  John Coleman as ROTY was the biggest oversight. ESPECIALLY someone with the last name of COLEMAN. ;D ;)

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 12, 2012, 07:56:57 PM
The Atlantic men also do not have a third team.

I mentioned that in my post.

Pat, I know when All Conference teams are chosen they usually are done so by the vote of the League's coaches. Likewise the NABC sends their ballots to coaches to determine their regional awards and All American teams. Is there a reason why D3hoops has SID's vote on your regional teams? I would just think that the coaches, with all their assistants, would be more likely to follow up on the nomination process and would also be more knowledgeable in their selection of regional players. Just wondering.   

Pat Coleman

I must have read right over "and Atlantic" in your post, my bad.

Reason why we don't put the onus on coaches to nominate is they already have their own team. Giving SIDs some ownership over this team should ensure participation. And I wouldn't emulate the NABC's model, with eight first-team All-Americans. Pretty sure every coach has to figure out five players to start, not eight, so why can't the coaches do that for this? :)

But in all seriousness, even though coaches aren't the people we primarily rely on, they definitely have some influence in the process. That's why we make sure to post our notices on the front page, on Twitter and on Facebook so it's not just emails to SIDs and conference offices. Coaches have ways to know what's going on, and I definitely hear from them in the course of this every year.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

magicman

Pat,

Thanks for the reply. I also read your response to Hugenerd's question on D3hoops Regional and All American team voting over on the All Americans board.

magicman

The roster for the D3 All  Star game was released today. Chad Burridge from Oswego State and Andy Stein from NYU were chosen to represent the East Region. The senior All-Star players were nominated by coaches and selected by a panel of coaches representing each region in Division III. The East Region gets an extra player as Ralph Temgoua of St. Lawrence was voted onto the team by a nationwide fan vote conducted by D3hoops. Dylan Richter of Washington University St. Louis, from the Midwest Region is the other player that was voted onto the team by the fans. All other regions each have two players on the teams. The game will take place on Saturday at 4:30 PM, prior to the Championship game, which is scheduled for 7:00 PM. Should be a great game to watch.

Here's a link to the complete All Star teams:

http://d3hoops.com/notables/2012/03/all-star-rosters-announced

magicman

The NABC has released their All District Teams today and Chad Burridge of Oswego State was chosen as the East Region Player of the Year. Jake Simmons of Buffalo State was named to the First Team and Hayden Ward of Oswego State was chosen for the Second Team. Jason Leone from Oswego State was chosen as the Coach of the Year.

Here's the complete East Region Teams:

EAST
First Team                                                                        Second Team
*Chad Burridge, Oswego                                                    Mickey Davis, Morrisville State
John DiBartolomeo, Rochester                                            Simon Smith, Stevens Institute of Technology
Matt Pebole, Hobart                                                           Andy Stein, NYU
Jake Simmons, Buffalo State                                              Stefan Thompson, Hobart
Jared Suderley, Hartwick                                                   Hayden Ward, Oswego
Ralph Temgoua, St. Lawrence
Coach of the Year: Jason Leone, SUNY Oswego
*Denotes District Player of the Year

Here's a link for all the regional teams:

http://static.psbin.com/m/l/d7h8zkxpcmawe6/2012_NABC_Division_III_All-District_Teams_and_Coaches.pdf

magicman

No surprise as East Region Player of the Year, Chad Burridge, was named to the NABC All American First Team for the 2nd year in a row. Here is the write up from the Oswego State website.   http://athletics.oswego.edu/news/2012/3/15/MBB_0315122932.aspx 

magicman

Here is the complete list of NABC All American Teams. In addition to Chad Burridge of Oswego State, Jared Suderley of Hartwick was named to the 2nd team and Ralph Temgoua of St. Lawrence was named to the third team.

2012 NABC COACHES' DIVISION III ALL-AMERICA FIRST TEAM

DaQuan Brooks, Western Connecticut, 5-10, Senior, Guard, Atlanta, Ga.
Chad Burridge, Oswego State, 6-7, Senior, Center, Hannibal, N.Y.
Chris Davis, UW-Whitewater, 6-6, Senior, Forward, Madison, Wis.
David Krombeen, Hope, 6-2, Senior, Guard, Grandville, Mich.
AJ Matthews, Farmingdale State, 7-0, Junior, Forward, Brooklyn, N.Y.
Tim McCrary, Wheaton (Ill.), 6-6. Senior, Forward, Wilmette, Ill.
Georgio Milligan, Franklin and Marshall, 6-2, Senior, Guard, Spring Valley, N.Y.
DJ Woodmore, Virginia Wesleyan, 6-3, Sophomore, Guard, Virginia Beach, Va.

2012 NABC COACHES' DIVISION III ALL-AMERICA SECOND TEAM

Seth Anderson, Gustavus Adolphus, 6-1, Senior, Guard, Minnesota Lake, Minn.
Tim Brady, Ohio Wesleyan, 6-4, Senior, Forward, Dublin, Ohio
Lance Brown, William Paterson, 6-4, Junior, Guard/Forward, Teaneck, N.J.
Travis Clark, Lake Forest, 6-5, Senior, Post, Evanston, Ill.
Cory Lemons, Cabrini, 5-10, Senior, Guard, Wilmington, Del.
Ryan Sharry, Middlebury, 6-8, Senior, Forward, Braintree, Mass.
Jared Suderley, Hartwick, 6-6, Sophomore, Forward, Newport, N.Y.
Conley Taylor, Christopher Newport, 6-1, Senior, Guard, Newport News, Va.

2012 NABC COACHES' DIVISION III ALL-AMERICA THIRD TEAM

Ray Askew, Albertus Magnus, 6-6, Senior, Forward, Hamden, Conn.
Chris Blees, Claremont-Mudd-Scripps, 6-5, Graduate, Forward, Carmichael, Calif.
Winston Douglas, Medgar Evers, 6-4, Junior, Guard, Hempstead, N.Y.
Greg Ross, Centre, 6-4, Senior, Forward, Cincinnati, Ohio
Corey Shontz, John Carroll, 6-1, Senior, Guard, Andover, Ohio
Ethan Spurlin, Transylvania, 6-4, Junior, Forward, Stanford, Ky.
Ralph Temgoua, St. Lawrence, 6-4, Senior, Guard, Paris, France
Perry Wright, Widener, 6-3, Senior, Forward, Severn, Md.

magicman

D3hoops has released their All American Teams. Jared Suderley from Hartwick makes the 2nd team. Chad Burridge receives honorable mention. These are the only 2 East Region players that were named. 25 players from 25 different schools. Cabrini got 2 mentions as they had a 1st  teamer and the Rookie of the Year. No Player of the Year or Coach of the Year was released yet as they will be announced this evening during the National Championship game.

Here's the link to all the teams:

http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/2012

magicman

Oswego State's Chad Burridge and SLU's Ralph Temgoua both had good games today in the D3 All Star game won by their East team 109-105. Chad had somewhere around 15 points, possibly a few more I think, and Ralph had at least 11. Couldn't find a box score yet. Chad did have two nice dunks, one on a breakaway and one on a nice feed as he cut toward the basket. Also think he had a 3 pointer. The cameras cut away from the action quite a bit to interview a lot of the players as the game was being played and since there were no live stats you couldn't tell who scored, when they weren't showing the game. Midllebury's Ryan Sharry was named MVP of the game. He scored 20 points and had 18 rebounds.

with age came?

Congratulations to Chad and Ralph on tremendous collegiate careers!