CCIW

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gotberg

hard to say for sure, but I believe the final at NPU was NPU 4, Concordia 1.

Sehten Hills with 1 and Jonas Pettersson with hat trick with 2 scored in the final few minutes.  I believe that gives Pettersson 7 on the season.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

d3fan1

North Park looks to be the real deal this year!! Just how good are they?

Gregory Sager

NPU played a pretty desultory first half last night. I'm sure that part of the reason was that John Born once again had to re-jigger the starting lineup -- NPU has had to change the starters for every match it's played this season -- but I think that some of it was simply complacency. The passing was not crisp at all, and CUW -- a solid side, albeit one without any depth at all -- generally outplayed the Vikings throughout most of the opening stanza. It was going to be a 1-0 halftime lead for the Falcons, but with 1.4 seconds left in the half Sehten Hills boomed an arcing side-kick that hooked into the net from forty yards out. It was one of the most impressive long-distance goals I've ever seen.

The second half was a different story. Because the Falcons have no depth -- they only subbed once the entire match -- John Born decided to run his alma mater's side into the ground, subbing at frequent intervals (North Park played 18 players last night) and employing a lot of sideline-to-sideline passing that forced CUW to do a lot of east-west running. They were gassed by the end, and the Vikes took advantage of it. After Pettersson's first goal broke the tie about ten minutes into the second half, NPU continued to put steady pressure on the Falcons rather than sit on the 2-1 lead. It paid off at the end of the match, when Robin Hals on the right wing made a perfect long diagonal pass to Pettersson, who outran the defense and floated a shot over the CUW keeper's shoulder from the left. Less than a minute later, the Vikings executed the exact same play: Long diagonal pass from Hals on the right wing to Pettersson, Pettersson outruns the defense, Pettersson floats one past the keeper from the left.

I was the P.A. announcer for the game, and after announcing the hat trick for Pettersson I was pleased to discover that the Swedish term for three goals scored in a single match is also "hat trick". That saves me the worry of having to pronounce somethng exotic into the mic if this happens again. ;)

It was a nice way to celebrate NPU's being slotted tenth in the nation in this week's d3soccer.com poll.

Quote from: d3fan1 on September 14, 2011, 12:21:58 PM
North Park looks to be the real deal this year!! Just how good are they?

We'll find out once the Vikings are finally healthy and fielding their projected starting lineup. One thing we do know is that they are deep; even with several star players either out of the lineup or not playing at 100%, the Park is playing some highly proficient and athletically impressive soccer, even though the Vikings really haven't gelled as a unit yet.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Gregory Sager

Wheaton moved up as well in the poll, from #24 to #18, but then unranked Chicago played Wheaton to a scoreless tie at Joe Bean Stadium last night. I wonder if that's going to hurt Wheaton in the next poll, especially since its next two matches, this coming weekend in Michigan, are against two traditionally solid sides (Calvin and Hope) that are having early-season struggles and are not currently receiving any votes?

NPU is off to North Carolina this weekend to take on Methodist and North Carolina Wesleyan in a tournament. Interestingly, two of North Park's sophomore starters from Sweden (Robin Hals and Jakob Aronsson) are transfers from North Carolina Wesleyan.

Most of the rest of the league appears to be holding its own early on, although Carthage (1-3) is off to a slow start and Millikin (0-5) continues to struggle.

"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

thePietist

NP plays to a 1-1 draw against Methodist.  Anyone get to watch the game online? 

More surprisingly, Wheaton falls 4-0 to Hope, dropping both games on their Michigan road trip.  The last time the Thunder got a drubbing like this was at the hands of Messiah in the national tournament in 08.  Ouch!

tjcummingsfan

Here's the write up from the NPU v. Methodist game.  It's weird to read an article that puts North Park as the clear favorite, but I suppose as they are ranked #13 we'd better get used to it!

Gotberg

Quote from: thePietist on September 18, 2011, 06:46:28 AM
NP plays to a 1-1 draw against Methodist.  Anyone get to watch the game online? 

More surprisingly, Wheaton falls 4-0 to Hope, dropping both games on their Michigan road trip.  The last time the Thunder got a drubbing like this was at the hands of Messiah in the national tournament in 08.  Ouch!

There was no overtime in the NPU game.  I assume that was the case because of the 2 games in 2 days and the game was out of region, so the result will not factor into determining if a school qualifies for an NCAA tourney at-large bid.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

NPU tied North Carolina Wesleyan today, 3-3. Two ties against beatable sides ... not a good weekend for the Vikings at all.

The Vikings are off until next Saturday evening, when they open the CCIW portion of the slate with a home match against Illinois Wesleyan under the lights.

Dark Knight

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 14, 2011, 07:29:33 PM
Wheaton moved up as well in the poll, from #24 to #18, but then unranked Chicago played Wheaton to a scoreless tie at Joe Bean Stadium last night. I wonder if that's going to hurt Wheaton in the next poll, especially since its next two matches, this coming weekend in Michigan, are against two traditionally solid sides (Calvin and Hope) that are having early-season struggles and are not currently receiving any votes?

NPU is off to North Carolina this weekend to take on Methodist and North Carolina Wesleyan in a tournament. Interestingly, two of North Park's sophomore starters from Sweden (Robin Hals and Jakob Aronsson) are transfers from North Carolina Wesleyan.

Most of the rest of the league appears to be holding its own early on, although Carthage (1-3) is off to a slow start and Millikin (0-5) continues to struggle.

Is Wheaton supposed to be having a down year? I only saw a part of the first half of the Wheaton-Calvin game, but Wheaton didn't really look competitive. For one thing, their defense couldn't keep up with the speed of Calvin's forwards.  Calvin won the majority of the middie battles too. (From the box score, the second half was apparently much more competitive.)

Or, maybe Calvin and Hope are starting to get their acts together.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Dark Knight on September 18, 2011, 05:28:01 PMIs Wheaton supposed to be having a down year?

No. In fact, Wheaton and NPU were picked to finish in a dead heat for first in the CCIW preseason poll, both in terms of points and first-place votes. Wheaton returned a roster that was made up in large part of freshmen and sophomores last season, and the thinking around here was that last season's Wheaton side was thus prepared to take a big leap forward, particularly since the Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance is again playing a really tough schedule that should be honing the collective game of Mike Giuliano's squad to a fine edge. I'm as baffled as anybody as to why the Wheaties played so badly on the other side of the lake this weekend.

However, I'm not in a position to point at Wheaton's stumbles and laugh, in spite of the fact that every cell in my royal-blue-and-gold-bleeding body cries out for schadenfreude whenever Wheaton stumbles at anything. ;) As I said, NPU did not play well this weekend, either. Those two ties in the Tarheel State are nagging, even though, as Gotberg said, they won't figure into the NCAA tournament equation.

Dennis_Prikkel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 18, 2011, 05:52:22 PM
Quote from: Dark Knight on September 18, 2011, 05:28:01 PMIs Wheaton supposed to be having a down year?

No. In fact, Wheaton and NPU were picked to finish in a dead heat for first in the CCIW preseason poll, both in terms of points and first-place votes. Wheaton returned a roster that was made up in large part of freshmen and sophomores last season, and the thinking around here was that last season's Wheaton side was thus prepared to take a big leap forward, particularly since the Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance is again playing a really tough schedule that should be honing the collective game of Mike Giuliano's squad to a fine edge. I'm as baffled as anybody as to why the Wheaties played so badly on the other side of the lake this weekend.

However, I'm not in a position to point at Wheaton's stumbles and laugh, in spite of the fact that every cell in my royal-blue-and-gold-bleeding body cries out for schadenfreude whenever Wheaton stumbles at anything. ;) As I said, NPU did not play well this weekend, either. Those two ties in the Tarheel State are nagging, even though, as Gotberg said, they won't figure into the NCAA tournament equation.

is this the first time NPC/NPU has ever faced a team in any sport from North Carolina?
I am determined to be wise, but this was beyond me.

Gregory Sager

That's a good question. I'm inclined to say "yes", because I don't remember a North Park team ever traveling to North Carolina before, and I also don't remember any team from that state ever traveling to Foster Avenue for competition.

I'd say that, if there ever was a contest between an NPU/NPC squad and an opponent from North Carolina, it must've taken place in a really obscure context, such as a volleyball tournament on a third party's campus.

Dennis_Prikkel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 18, 2011, 08:25:50 PM
That's a good question. I'm inclined to say "yes", because I don't remember a North Park team ever traveling to North Carolina before, and I also don't remember any team from that state ever traveling to Foster Avenue for competition.

I'd say that, if there ever was a contest between an NPU/NPC squad and an opponent from North Carolina, it must've taken place in a really obscure context, such as a volleyball tournament on a third party's campus.

or a spring training game in softball or baseball
I am determined to be wise, but this was beyond me.

Gregory Sager

That's probably even more likely.

markerickson

Shaking cobwebs, I think the football team lost at home to NC Wesleyan in the post-Liljegren era.
Once a metalhead, always a metalhead.  Matthew 5:13.