CCIW

Started by Mr. Ypsi, September 04, 2009, 08:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blue_jays

Quote from: soc4life on September 22, 2011, 11:52:07 AM
What is going on with Wheaton this year? I know they have played a bit of a rough schedule, but play a little defense boys.

I haven't kept up like in years past, but the usual Wheaton supporters are pretty quiet these days... I would love to hear what's going on over in the Thunder's camp?

Whittling complex problems to simple terms: no offensive identity = no goals, opponents frequently scoring point blank in the box, regression in play from previous seasons.

Dennis_Prikkel

Quote from: Gregory Sager on September 19, 2011, 05:13:08 PM
Quote from: Jim Matson on September 19, 2011, 04:42:30 PM
Greg, I'm late on this, but kudos for using the word "desultory" on a soccer board. In fact, kudos for you even posting on this board - and posting well, I might add. Then to see Dennis? Mark? What's next? Nationally televised soccer matches in prime-time?!

Oh, the horror! :D

i said it 30 years ago when baseball went on strike - "Soccer is a Communist Plot"
I am determined to be wise, but this was beyond me.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: dennis_prikkel on September 23, 2011, 02:37:44 PM
Greg, I'm late on this, but kudos for using the word "desultory" on a soccer board. In fact, kudos for you even posting on this board - and posting well, I might add. Then to see Dennis? Mark? What's next? Nationally televised soccer matches in prime-time?!

i said it 30 years ago when baseball went on strike - "Soccer is a Communist Plot"

Yet here you are posting on Pravda! :o ;D

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 23, 2011, 03:21:20 PM
Quote from: dennis_prikkel on September 23, 2011, 02:37:44 PM

Yet here you are posting on Pravda! :o ;D

Da! Is post without the logic, Comrade Prikkel!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Mr. Ypsi

The conference schedule finally begins today, with IWU @ NPU for a coed double-header.  While I am quite confident that the Titan women will be all alone in first place in the conference for a few days, I fear the Viking men will hold that status for a while.  We'll know for sure in about 19 hours. ;)

thunder38

The hits keep on coming for the Thunder who just can't figure themselves out as they fell to a winless Westmont team out in Cali 3-0 tonight.  Starting to wonder if it's a case of not using the talent correctly, misevaluating the pieces they have or the recruiting has just started to drop off but something is amiss with the Wheaton program and they're quickly working their way to dare I say, back to back year missing the playoffs.
You win some, you lose some, and sometimes it rains.

Gotberg

NPU 4, IWU 0.

I caught the first 10 or 15 minutes of the video broadcast last night.  Mr. Domanico did a fantastic job with the broadcast and I hope he keeps that role going forward.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

Very enjoyable and convincing win for NPU last night over a technically solid but seriously overmatched IWU side. Don't be surprised if the Titans get in to the CCIW tourney in the third or fourth spot. They're not as bad as the Vikings made them look last night; the Vikings are simply that good. Great to see Filip Lindmark make his season debut last night, too. He came off the bench and looked rusty but healthy.

Jonas Pettersson scored again last night; however, his nemesis Eros Olazabal of Manhattanville scored four more goals yesterday in a 4-0 win over Albright, so Jonas is going to have to content himself with being the second-leading goal scorer in the nation for at least the near future. Robin Hals, Kris Grahn, and Sehten Hills also found the back of the net for the Park.

NPU has a big non-con match coming up on Tuesday evening on the Sout' Side as the Vikes take on Chicago (5-1-1).

Quote from: thunder38 on September 25, 2011, 02:03:05 AM
The hits keep on coming for the Thunder who just can't figure themselves out as they fell to a winless Westmont team out in Cali 3-0 tonight.  Starting to wonder if it's a case of not using the talent correctly, misevaluating the pieces they have or the recruiting has just started to drop off but something is amiss with the Wheaton program and they're quickly working their way to dare I say, back to back year missing the playoffs.

Wheaton baffles me. The Sonic Atmospheric Disturbance are now 3-5-1, and, as bad as it looked to fall to winless Westmost last nght, at least you can say on Westmont's behalf that it's a scholarship NAIA school. The more vexing loss is the 3-1 whipping that Wheaton suffered the other night to Dominican at Joe Bean Stadium. I say "vexing" not because I've suddenly become sympathetic to Wheaton -- that would require someone dropping an anvil or a piano on my head, cartoon-style -- but because this does not bode well for the CCIW as a whole. The worse that our league performs in regional non-conference play -- especially when it's one of our league's top guns that is faltering, and Wheaton is certainly one of our top guns -- the worse it is for everybody in the league. What's more, I suspect that Wheaton will figure it out and turn on the afterburners once league play starts in earnest. And this will be another situation in which Wheaton only gets into the NCAA tourney if it claims the CCIW automatic bid by winning the conference tourney, since its chance for an at-large bid has now gone pretty much by the boards. That means that Wheaton is going to have to go through NPU in order to get into the NCAAs. I don't like the sound of that. The only thing that makes me more nervous than playing Wheaton is playing Wheaton when the Orange People are in a do-or-die situation.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

voiceofseason

I made the journey to North Park last night.  I thought the first half IWU was fairly competitive except for a couple mistakes, but a couple mistakes can easily render an outcome in a soccer match, or in this case, a 2-0 deficit.

The Pettersson kid is as good as advertised.  For a 23-year old freshman, his maturity was evident, as is Kris Grahn (I believe he's 28 or 29 now, correct)?  Coach Born has a good thing going with the Sweden connection.  Before anyone jumps on this, I'm not suggesting anything wrong with this - Division III rules are what they are, and kudos to Born for leveraging them to benefit the assets he has to offer at North Park.  I find him to be a good coach and a good man - there should be more like him.

As a commentary on what I saw during the game, IWU has a solid side, but NPU is the real deal.  They are physical, fast, and perhaps best described as relentless.  Or as I texted an IWU fan during the game, "formidable."  When they would attack on counters there was plenty of speed, they switch the field well, and they have a number of offensive options.   

For IWU, they have a couple non-conference games before playing at North Central (currently regionally RV) and home against Millikin.  They need a good result in both before hosting Elmhurst October 15th.  If they can rebound from last night's match and get back on track - they really need results in the next two and then a good showing with Elmhurst to position themselves in the hunt for a post-season berth.  A year ago they opened play with a draw against eventual champion North Park - they have a bit more work to do now after last night's loss.

It's a great time of year.

'If I walked on water, my accusers would say it's because I can't swim."
   -- Berti Vogts

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 24, 2011, 02:21:22 AM
The conference schedule finally begins today, with IWU @ NPU for a coed double-header.  While I am quite confident that the Titan women will be all alone in first place in the conference for a few days, I fear the Viking men will hold that status for a while.  We'll know for sure in about 19 hours. ;)

Got 'em both right. :P

I propose a new scoring method - combine the women's and men's scores!  Result: IWU 5, NPU 4. ;D

Gotberg

Quote from: voiceofseason on September 25, 2011, 01:21:55 PM
I made the journey to North Park last night.  I thought the first half IWU was fairly competitive except for a couple mistakes, but a couple mistakes can easily render an outcome in a soccer match, or in this case, a 2-0 deficit.

The Pettersson kid is as good as advertised.  For a 23-year old freshman, his maturity was evident, as is Kris Grahn (I believe he's 28 or 29 now, correct)?  Coach Born has a good thing going with the Sweden connection.  Before anyone jumps on this, I'm not suggesting anything wrong with this - Division III rules are what they are, and kudos to Born for leveraging them to benefit the assets he has to offer at North Park.  I find him to be a good coach and a good man - there should be more like him.

As a commentary on what I saw during the game, IWU has a solid side, but NPU is the real deal.  They are physical, fast, and perhaps best described as relentless.  Or as I texted an IWU fan during the game, "formidable."  When they would attack on counters there was plenty of speed, they switch the field well, and they have a number of offensive options.   

For IWU, they have a couple non-conference games before playing at North Central (currently regionally RV) and home against Millikin.  They need a good result in both before hosting Elmhurst October 15th.  If they can rebound from last night's match and get back on track - they really need results in the next two and then a good showing with Elmhurst to position themselves in the hunt for a post-season berth.  A year ago they opened play with a draw against eventual champion North Park - they have a bit more work to do now after last night's loss.

Are there age restrictions of some sort for each NCAA division?  I have seen references to this in other threads, but I am not familiar with them.

I know the Illinois football team has a soon to be 27 year old senior linebacker in Trulon Henry.

If someone can shed some light, that would be appreciated.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 25, 2011, 01:44:22 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 24, 2011, 02:21:22 AM

Got 'em both right. :P

I propose a new scoring method - combine the women's and men's scores!  Result: IWU 5, NPU 4. ;D

Yeah, right. As if. ::)

Tell you what. We'll give you half-credit for the women's score. Result: NPU 4, IWU 2 1/2  ;)

Gregory Sager

Quote from: Gotberg on September 25, 2011, 02:02:04 PM
Quote from: voiceofseason on September 25, 2011, 01:21:55 PM

Are there age restrictions of some sort for each NCAA division?  I have heard references to this in other threads, but I am not familiar with them.

I know the Illinois football team has a soon to be 27 year old senior linebacker in Trulon Henry.

If someone can shed some light, that would be appreciated.

There is only one age restriction in the NCAA, and you can see it at this link. It applies only to D1, and it specifically affects only D1 student-athletes over the age of 21 who have previously competed in an organized amateur version of that sport. Since Fighting Illini linebacker Trulon Henry hadn't played organized football after he passed his 21st birthday until he began playing for the U of I, it doesn't apply to him.

Several of the Scandinavians that have played for North Park over the past two decades have first enrolled as freshmen well past the age of 18. I think that it's common for them to be 20 or 21 or so, if not older.  (I have a hard time believing that NPU's baby-faced Norwegian assassin Siggy Pryser can be that old, though.) That's a big advantage in terms of physical maturity and experience over the typical CCIW freshman, that's for sure. But it's hardly the only advantage that the Swedes bring to the table; they come from a soccer-mad country where kids learn how to kick a ball properly as soon as they can walk, and that's a huge leg up (no pun intended) that they have over their American soccer peers as well.

None of that would matter at all, though, if they weren't academically able to cut the mustard at NPU, and in fact the Swedes by and large turn out to be excellent students. They also pay full freight to attend North Park, just like everybody else (the Swedish government does give out no-interest loans to students attending foreign universities, but they're loans that have to be paid back), as opposed to the little or nothing that they'd have to pay if they attended a school back home. It's not as though they're riding some sort of gravy train at North Park. Everything that they do at North Park is on the up-and-up, not that voiceofseason implied otherwise. The long and short of it is that NPU has some great recruiting connections in Sweden (and now in Norway as well), connections that perpetuate themselves as Swedish NPU soccer alumni return back to the homeland and spread the word, and the school is ideally set up for Swedish student-athletes: Small classes, big world-class city, congenial atmosphere in which the many Swedish-American students on campus take great delight in getting to know their foreign "cousins", and a soccer program that offers excellence and proven success at a solid level of competition.

voiceofseason

Please let me be clear - I wasn't calling for any indictment of NPU or their Swedes.  I simply meant as a descriptor, the physical maturity of some of these kids is evident.  I would never suggest any wrongdoing - Coach Born actually explained some of the programs [Center for Scandinavian Studies] at NPU to me a couple years ago that are attractive to the Scandinavian student-athletes; he wouldn't be a good recruiter if he didn't take advantage of those assets.

Putting all that aside, the Vikings are simply a talented, DEEP squad.  I saw Chicago rally to score two late goals to beat IWU recently - that upcoming match could be a good one!

Putting the age thing in perspective, Faulkner University [NAIA] has a 61-year old kicker on their football roster this year....    ;D

http://blog.al.com/montgomery/2011/08/61-year-old_joins_faulkner_foo.html
'If I walked on water, my accusers would say it's because I can't swim."
   -- Berti Vogts

Gregory Sager

Quote from: voiceofseason on September 25, 2011, 02:51:26 PM
Please let me be clear - I wasn't calling for any indictment of NPU or their Swedes.  I simply meant as a descriptor, the physical maturity of some of these kids is evident.  I would never suggest any wrongdoing - Coach Born actually explained some of the programs [Center for Scandinavian Studies] at NPU to me a couple years ago that are attractive to the Scandinavian student-athletes; he wouldn't be a good recruiter if he didn't take advantage of those assets.

Not to worry. I think that you made it clear in your first post that you weren't accusing Coach Born of anything.

Quote from: voiceofseason on September 25, 2011, 02:51:26 PMPutting all that aside, the Vikings are simply a talented, DEEP squad.  I saw Chicago rally to score two late goals to beat IWU recently - that upcoming match could be a good one!

Chicago also forced a nil-nil tie with Wheaton a week and a half ago at Joe Bean Stadium, although some of the luster has come off of that accomplishment due to Wheaton's inexplicable descent into chaos. I'm looking forward to catching that North Side vs. South Side showdown at Stagg Field on Tuesday evening.