FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fannosaurus Rex

Quote from: Gray Fox on July 05, 2020, 04:00:24 PM
Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on July 05, 2020, 03:16:29 PM
Since the American Rivers Conference has a team from Nebraska now we can talk about both the Iowa Derby and the Cornhusker Stakes to be run at Prairie Meadows tonight.  It will be tough to make money on the Iowa Derby with only 5 runners and the favorite, Sashashakemeup looks legit.  I will make a place bet on Acre and put him in an exacta with the favorite.  Most of the Cornhusker field looks like this should be about their last race except that all but one of them have been fixed so what else are they going to do?  Dunph looks to be the best of a field whose best days are behind them.  The big question is, if I have a mint julep while I watch the Kentucky Derby, what do I have while I watch the Iowa Derby?
What about Night Ops?  Is he nominated for Breeders Cup?

I don't know about the Breeders' Cup, but you may be on to something.  He was having a pretty good career up to his last race and he had some excuses for that one.  I just don't like to pick favorites.
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

Baldini

Since the American Rivers Conference has a team from Nebraska now we can talk about both the Iowa Derby and the Cornhusker Stakes to be run at Prairie Meadows tonight.  It will be tough to make money on the Iowa Derby with only 5 runners and the favorite, Sashashakemeup looks legit.  I will make a place bet on Acre and put him in an exacta with the favorite.  Most of the Cornhusker field looks like this should be about their last race except that all but one of them have been fixed so what else are they going to do?  Dunph looks to be the best of a field whose best days are behind them.  The big question is, if I have a mint julep while I watch the Kentucky Derby, what do I have while I watch the Iowa Derby?

Acre runs 2nd, but gets the win by DQ of the winner. Acre pays 8.90 to win and 4.40 to place. Hope you had a little win money on your pick. 

Gray Fox

Quote from: Baldini on July 05, 2020, 09:04:41 PM

Acre runs 2nd, but gets the win by DQ of the winner. Acre pays 8.90 to win and 4.40 to place. Hope you had a little win money on your pick.
Night Ops won.  I don't like favorites either.  It doesn't matter.  No on line betting in Texas.
Fierce When Roused

Fannosaurus Rex

I didn't have any real action going.  I could make an on-line bet but I am a leery of giving a gambling site my checking  account and routing info or paying Pay Pal $5 to fund a horse betting account.  The other option would be the local OTB but the people in that place looked contagious back in good times. Just as well.  I saved money.  I am hoping to be vaccinated by the time the Kentucky Derby comes up in September.
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

Gray Fox

Quote from: Fannosaurus Rex on July 06, 2020, 12:23:11 PM
I didn't have any real action going.  I could make an on-line bet but I am a leery of giving a gambling site my checking  account and routing info or paying Pay Pal $5 to fund a horse betting account.  The other option would be the local OTB but the people in that place looked contagious back in good times. Just as well.  I saved money.  I am hoping to be vaccinated by the time the Kentucky Derby comes up in September.
Lone Star Park cancelled after the first race yesterday because of COVID.  They don't know when they will be back.
Fierce When Roused

OzJohnnie

Horse racing was the one sport that continued unabated through our lockdown.  I heard once (but don't know if actually true) that Australians are second only to Hong Kongers in horse betting per capita.  When it comes to this virus there are reasonable precautions and then there are actions which go way too far.  It seems that horses are in the way too far category.
[  

Schipper Strong

It has been a long time since Central and Wartburg played first conference game of the season. It would really seem strange if the ARC cancelled all non conference games.

hazzben

Quote from: jamtod on July 05, 2020, 04:17:09 PM
Quote from: doolittledog on July 05, 2020, 03:34:22 PM
Since the American Rivers Conference has a team from Nebraska now we can talk about both the Iowa Derby and the Cornhusker Stakes to be run at Prairie Meadows tonight.  It will be tough to make money on the Iowa Derby with only 5 runners and the favorite, Sashashakemeup looks legit.  I will make a place bet on Acre and put him in an exacta with the favorite.  Most of the Cornhusker field looks like this should be about their last race except that all but one of them have been fixed so what else are they going to do?  Dunph looks to be the best of a field whose best days are behind them. The big question is, if I have a mint julep while I watch the Kentucky Derby, what do I have while I watch the Iowa Derby?

My vote would be for Cedar Ridge Bourbon, neat.  But judging from what I pick up in my ditch every weekend, if you want the typical Iowa alcoholic beverage you should go with Busch Light  ;)

I'd suggest Templeton Rye but my geographical origins and ancestry might be clouding my vision for a better option. I need to try the cedar ridge stuff as I've heard good things several times

lol, I was actually going to suggest this with a shoutout for you. Per usual, you beat me to it!

jamtod

Quote from: hazzben on July 08, 2020, 02:27:12 PM
Since the American Rivers Conference has a team from Nebraska now we can talk about both the Iowa Derby and the Cornhusker Stakes to be run at Prairie Meadows tonight.  It will be tough to make money on the Iowa Derby with only 5 runners and the favorite, Sashashakemeup looks legit.  I will make a place bet on Acre and put him in an exacta with the favorite.  Most of the Cornhusker field looks like this should be about their last race except that all but one of them have been fixed so what else are they going to do?  Dunph looks to be the best of a field whose best days are behind them. The big question is, if I have a mint julep while I watch the Kentucky Derby, what do I have while I watch the Iowa Derby?

My vote would be for Cedar Ridge Bourbon, neat.  But judging from what I pick up in my ditch every weekend, if you want the typical Iowa alcoholic beverage you should go with Busch Light  ;)

I'd suggest Templeton Rye but my geographical origins and ancestry might be clouding my vision for a better option. I need to try the cedar ridge stuff as I've heard good things several times

lol, I was actually going to suggest this with a shoutout for you. Per usual, you beat me to it!

The Iowa native Minnesotans gotta stick together, even if you went to the school with a reputation for poor sportsmanship :-)

hazzben

Quote from: jamtod on July 08, 2020, 03:49:25 PM
Quote from: hazzben on July 08, 2020, 02:27:12 PM

The Iowa native Minnesotans gotta stick together, even if you went to the school with a reputation for poor sportsmanship :-)

I did NOT go to Augsburg  ;)

Schipper Strong

New Mexico governor cancels fall high school football and soccer for now. May be able to start later in school year depending on Covid.

Outside the Crate

I see that Carleton has cancelled all fall sports.  That's worrisome to say the least.  Of course, Carleton is not nearly so dependent upon intercollegiate athletics to achieve its enrollment goals, but it will be interesting to see if other MIAC colleges follow suit.  I understand the conference presidents are meeting next week.

doolittledog

Quote from: Outside the Crate on July 12, 2020, 03:40:54 PM
I see that Carleton has cancelled all fall sports.  That's worrisome to say the least.  Of course, Carleton is not nearly so dependent upon intercollegiate athletics to achieve its enrollment goals, but it will be interesting to see if other MIAC colleges follow suit.  I understand the conference presidents are meeting next week.

As you say, Carleton (and their almost $900 million endowment) will have an easier time weathering the storm than your typical ARC school.  Iowa Covid stats have been looking strong for a resumption of fall school and sports.  Hopefully we can stay on tract for that.  At a minimum conference-only games. 
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

5 Words or Less

Michigan JUCOS postpone fall sports

Quote from: Mlive
The National Junior College Athletic Association's Board of Regents approved Monday a plan to move most fall and winter sports to the spring for the 2020-21 academic year as a precaution against the coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic.

Only men's and women's cross country will run during their scheduled season under the plan, which alters the athletic landscape for 20 colleges in Michigan that compete at the NJCAA level.

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2020/07/20-michigan-junior-colleges-moving-most-fall-winter-sports-to-spring-for-2020-21.html

5 Words or Less

Will Iowa preps swap seasons?

Quote from: Cedar Rapids Gazette

... proposal to overhaul the 2020-21 Iowa high school sports calendar. Fall sports to spring. Spring sports to fall. 

FOOTBALL
  • First practice: March 1
  • First date of competition: March 19 (first week of 7-week regular season)
  • Playoffs (32 qualifiers): May 7 (first round), May 14 (second round), May 21 (quarterfinals), May 27-29 (semifinals)
  • State championships: June 3-4

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/sports/iowa-prep-sports/a-somewhat-radical-plan-for-2020-21-switch-iowa-high-school-fall-sports-to-spring-spring-sports-to-fall-20200710