NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stlawus

I would think Amherst just based on the fact they bring back pretty much all of their scoring from last year.  There also might be some addition by subtraction in the goalkeeping department.  I think that was the weakest part of their game last season, which is unusual given the history at the position there. 

Ejay

Do we know that all seniors are, in fact graduating and not taking their Covid year? For example, I hear McDonald is returning to Messiah.

stlawus

Hard to know really.  Serpone is not big on 5th year players so I would not count on any Amherst senior returning. 

EnmoreCat

Although my son dismissed it as, "Boomer humour", I thought the April Fool's Day joke that Amherst and Williams executed this year was quite clever.  They announced a merger between the two, creating, "Wamherst", certainly the resulting soccer team would have been a powerful one.

northman

[Seems like Amherst, Williams and Midd will be the pre-season favorites, probably in that order.  Each lose one major contributor to graduation, but otherwise, return nearly all their key players from, obviously, very good teams.  Bowdoin, Tufts and Conn each lose a lot, but none can be counted out due to recent track record and overall depth of talent.  Those three plus Hamilton and Wesleyan are probably (heading into the off-season, a ton can change) the middle of the league, with Bates, Colby and Trinity again bringing up the rear.  So really, the outlook is quite similar to last year, other than Bowdoin probably dropping a bit due to losing by far the most impactful guys (including the POY) of the top-tier teams.]

It will indeed be important to learn which "seniors" are returning for their 4th year of eligibility this fall.  Bowdoin is the only team with which I have close familiarity...and although Michael Weber, Julian Juantorena, and Jack Selig are all listed as '23s...I believe they are all returning.  Although Dylan Reid will be a big loss, each of the aforementioned three are proven impact players.  You'll want to do the same analysis with the other NESCAC teams before drawing any preseason conclusions.

quicksilver

Quote from: northman on April 08, 2023, 11:07:15 AM
[Seems like Amherst, Williams and Midd will be the pre-season favorites, probably in that order.  Each lose one major contributor to graduation, but otherwise, return nearly all their key players from, obviously, very good teams.  Bowdoin, Tufts and Conn each lose a lot, but none can be counted out due to recent track record and overall depth of talent.  Those three plus Hamilton and Wesleyan are probably (heading into the off-season, a ton can change) the middle of the league, with Bates, Colby and Trinity again bringing up the rear.  So really, the outlook is quite similar to last year, other than Bowdoin probably dropping a bit due to losing by far the most impactful guys (including the POY) of the top-tier teams.]

It will indeed be important to learn which "seniors" are returning for their 4th year of eligibility this fall.  Bowdoin is the only team with which I have close familiarity...and although Michael Weber, Julian Juantorena, and Jack Selig are all listed as '23s...I believe they are all returning.  Although Dylan Reid will be a big loss, each of the aforementioned three are proven impact players.  You'll want to do the same analysis with the other NESCAC teams before drawing any preseason conclusions.

Unfortunately, Bowdoin's Michael Webber graduated early (in December 2022) and will not be returning for another season as he has signed a contract with a pro development league team. Goalie will be a big question mark for Bowdoin.

northman

Thanks for that update, quicksilver.  I obviously wasn't aware of that.  Yes, those will be big gloves to fill by whomever is the next keeper...

Kuiper

Quote from: quicksilver on April 08, 2023, 04:49:45 PM

Unfortunately, Bowdoin's Michael Webber graduated early (in December 2022) and will not be returning for another season as he has signed a contract with a pro development league team. Goalie will be a big question mark for Bowdoin.

Here's the press release.  Webber signed with FC Dallas' MLS Next Pro team

https://www.fcdallas.com/northtexassc/news/north-texas-sc-signs-goalkeeper-michael-webber

One thing that I have noticed in MLS Next Pro is that while teams are happy to start 15 and 16 year-olds at many positions, they keep the young GKs playing in the Academy while they train with the pro reserve team and they sign a college grad keeper to be a starter or at least a "veteran" backup.  That reflects the fact that even top young GKs need regular playing time and the college GK can be an emergency GK for the MLS Next team.  Conn College's GK went this route as well with the NY Red Bulls and we may see more D3 GKs get that chance if they have prototypical GK size.

camosfan

The biggest lesson of the past season is that things are not predictable, Conn was supposed to be dominant, Williams was supposed to be an easy win for the top NESCAC teams.

nescac1

Considering that NESCAC has six of the past eight champions, plus the last three runners-up, from four different programs, and that doesn't even include powerhouse programs like Midd or Bowdoin who were in the mix deep in the tourney, it certainly makes prognostication more difficult ... in any given year, the third or fourth best NESCAC squad can end up in the national title game. 

northman

I think that sums it up pretty nicely...

Having had one son who played in the Ivy League and another who played in the NESCAC, I have to say I love the competitiveness in the NESCAC across a bunch of sports.  There is so much competitive balance that upsets are common.  And it's great for athletes, fans, and family members that all the schools (with the possible exception of Hamilton) are within a reasonable day's drive of each other.

Kuiper

Quote from: Viking on March 02, 2023, 11:17:14 AM
March is here and ED2 notifications have been released, so even though there isn't much new stuff out there, maybe it's time for an updated list. Changes since the January 1 list are in red.

The usual Surgeon General's warning: This list is a crude compilation of public reports in the expected places, supplemented with info from a few forum folks. It's incomplete, semi-reliable, and shouldn't be treated like any kind of official announcement (the latter will start showing up later in the spring). Also, don't assume that any individual school having a short list below is an indicator of having fewer 2023 recruits. Among the types of recruits that tend to be more digitally quiet at this stage are international students and transfers, for example.

Speaking of transfers, I'm adding something new at the end: known outgoing transfers. In recent years, high-profile NESCAC student-athletes have been transferring to D1 schools. The departing transfers in NESCAC men's soccer haven't been as prominent or made as immediate an impact at the D1 level as the NESCAC men's lacrosse emigrants, but it's likely to continue, especially among the COVID-impacted cohorts. Lots of stuff happening at Colby, with Franco departing and intriguing recruits like Culley incoming (Culley's story is worth looking up if you haven't already).

Please share updates, corrections, etc.!

KNOWN INCOMING RECRUITS

Amherst
Lucas Liu, F, Davis Legacy SC/Davis HS - CA
Lucas Searl, G, Southern SA/Westminster S - GA

Bates
Beckham Alderucci, M, Connecticut FC/Newington HS - CT
Isaiah Brown, (?), FC Westchester – NY
Andrew Goddard, D, Connecticut FC/Choate Rosemary Hall - CT
Luc Parr, (?), Beachside SC/Wooster S - CT
Oliver Schiff Stein, M, Manhattan SC/LaGuardia HS - NY

Bowdoin
Jack Banks, M, Seacoast United/Brunswick HS - ME
Kamar Burris-Khan, M, Valeo FC/Newton South HS - MA
Johnny Delionado, F, Weston FC/Belen Jesuit HS - FL
William Fowler, M, Cedar Stars/Columbia Secondary S - NY
Luke Peltz, D, South Kent S - NY/CT

Colby
Joseph Beshel, M, New England Surf/Belmont Hill S - MA
Lleyton Bristow, F, Shattuck-St. Mary's S - MN
Gus Confalone, G, SYC/St. John's College HS - DC
Myles Culley, M, Seacoast United SC/Waynflete S - ME
Drew Davis, M, Lower Merion SC/Lower Merion HS - PA
Nick Donnelly, D, RNY FC - NY
Andrew Kirwan, D, Penn Fusion SA/Haverford S - PA
Luke Pentikis, M, South Kent S - NJ/CT
Jacob Sams, D, Tampa Bay United SC/Berkeley Preparatory S - FL

Conn
Charlie Emery, D, Bethesda SC/Gonzaga College HS - DC
Max Haberman, M, Albion SC/Francis Parker S - CA
Nicholas Kempe, G, Pennington S - NJ
Charlie Miles, D, New York SC - NY
Gavin Mpiana, F/M, Penn Fusion SA/Hill S - PA
Anish Reid, D, AC Connecticut/Hotchkiss S - CT
Liam Rorke, M, Steel United/Tabor A - NH
Casey Shea, G, TSF/Northern Valley Regional HS - NJ
Noah Sides, M, New York SC - NY

Hamilton
Patrick Ferrare, M, Parsippany SC/Montville HS - NJ
Adam Molusis, D, Connecticut FC/Glastonbury HS - CT
Peter Montesano Scheibe, G, FC Stars/Lawrence A - MA
Albert Van Ness, D, Westchester Flames/Bronxville HS – NY
Finn Wheeler, G, Christian Brothers A Syracuse - NY

Middlebury
Owen Davis, D, Albion SC/La Jolla HS - CA
Colin Dugan, F, FSA FC/Avon Old Farms S - CT
Jay Hoke, (?), RNY FC/Manlius Pebble Hill HS - NY
Hugo Horwitz, D, TSF/Academy Glen Rock HS - NJ
Ari Klayman, D, PDA/Staten Island Technical HS - NY
Harper Nicholl, F/M, Blau Weiss Gottschee/UN International S - NY
Will Sawin, M, South Kent S - CT (a 2022.5 "Feb"?)

Trinity
Sam Singer, (?), American S in London - UK

Tufts
Bijan Akhtarzandi-Das, M, Arlington SA/Washington International S - DC
Ben Brown, M, Boston Bolts/Concord-Carlisle HS - MA
Demis Calkap, M, PDA/Northern Valley Regional HS - NJ
Xavier Canfin, M, FC Westchester - NY
Sandy Duggal, F/M, Shattuck-St. Mary's S - NY/MN
Ethan Jett, M, Rise SC/Kinkaid S - TX
Zackary Salfi, F, Real Colorado/East HS - CO
Zach Ubamadu, G, Chattanooga Red Wolves/Baylor HS - TN

Wesleyan
Dylan Clack, M, CT Rush/Choate Rosemary Hall - Canada/CT
Zach Feldman, D, STA/Livingston HS - NJ
Joshwin Jennings, M, TSF/Delbarton S - NJ
Yousuf Saeed, M, Rise SC/Episcopal HS - TX
Colin Tsay, D, STA/Delbarton S - NJ

Williams
Andrew Coelho, M, New England Surf/Worcester A - CT
Kellan Grace, M, Beachside SC/Weston HS - CT
Griffin Labonski, D, Beachside SC/Staples HS - CT
Leon Ma, M, PDA/Pingry S - NJ
Spencer Mix, F, FSA FC/Loomis Chafee S - CT
Atticus Ross, D, Seacoast United SC/Phillips Exeter A - NH
Jeff Stauffer, F/M, Seacoast United SC - MA

KNOWN OUTGOING TRANSFERS

Colby
Ethan Franco, F, to Northeastern U (D1)

One more for Colby

Charles Scott, D, Colorado Rapids/Denver East

Viking

Decision Day is coming soon, so here's the second-to-last update. New stuff harvested from the usual semi-reliable sources since the last update is in red. Don't assume anything here is accurate until we start seeing official announcements via social media and rosters on the web. Many NESCAC programs will start sharing the former in early May; most programs don't post the latter until just before the season starts. Look for the last update in late June.

INCOMING RECRUITS?

Amherst
Lucas Liu, F, Davis Legacy SC/Davis HS - CA
Riley Priddy, D, Shattuck-St. Mary's - MN
Lucas Searl, G, Southern SA/Westminster S - GA

Bates
Beckham Alderucci, M, Connecticut FC/Newington HS - CT
Isaiah Brown, (?), FC Westchester - NY
Andrew Goddard, D, Connecticut FC/Choate Rosemary Hall - CT
Noah Greiff, D, Bethesda SC/Jackson-Reed HS - DC
Luc Parr, (?), Beachside SC/Wooster S - CT
Oliver Schiff Stein, M, Manhattan SC/LaGuardia HS - NY
Josef Alexander Voglmayr, D, DCSC/St. Anselm's Abbey S - DC

Bowdoin
Jack Banks, M, Seacoast United/Brunswick HS - ME
Kamar Burris-Khan, M, Valeo FC/Newton South HS - MA
Johnny Delionado, F, Weston FC/Belen Jesuit HS - FL
William Fowler, M, Cedar Stars A/Columbia Secondary S - NY
Keito Ishibashi, D/M, Bethesda SC/Walter Johnson HS - MD
Hayden Mann, M/F, Pateadores SC/St. Margaret's Episcopal S - CA

Luke Peltz, D, South Kent S - NY/CT

Colby
Joseph Beshel, M, New England Surf/Belmont Hill S - MA
Lleyton Bristow, F, Shattuck-St. Mary's S - MN
Gus Confalone, G, SYC/St. John's College HS - DC
Myles Culley, M, Seacoast United SC/Waynflete S - ME
Drew Davis, M, Lower Merion SC/Lower Merion HS - PA
Nick Donnelly, D, RNY FC - NY
Andrew Kirwan, D, Penn Fusion SA/Haverford S - PA
Colin León, M, Lower Merion SC/Germantown A - PA
Luke Pentikis, M, South Kent S - NJ/CT
Jacob Sams, D, Tampa Bay United SC/Berkeley Preparatory S - FL
Charles Scott, D, Colorado Rapids YSC/East HS - CO

Conn
Charlie Emery, D, Bethesda SC/Gonzaga College HS - DC
Max Haberman, M, Albion SC/Francis Parker S - CA
Nicholas Kempe, G, Pennington S - NJ
Charlie Miles, D, New York SC - NY
Gavin Mpiana, F/M, Penn Fusion SA/Hill S - South Africa/PA
Anish Reid, D, AC Connecticut/Hotchkiss S - CT
Liam Rorke, M, Steel United/Tabor A - NH
Casey Shea, G, TSF/Northern Valley Regional HS - NJ
Noah Sides, M, New York SC - NY
Max Weiss, M, Inter Connecticut FC/Weston HS - CT

Hamilton
Patrick Ferrare, M, Parsippany SC/Montville HS - NJ
Adam Molusis, D, Connecticut FC/Glastonbury HS - CT
Peter Montesano Scheibe, G, FC Stars/Lawrence A - MA
Albert Van Ness, D, Westchester Flames/Bronxville HS - NY
Finn Wheeler, G, Christian Brothers A Syracuse - NY

Middlebury
Owen Davis, D, Albion SC/La Jolla HS - CA
Colin Dugan, F, FSA FC/Avon Old Farms S - CT
Jay Hoke, (?), RNY FC/Manlius Pebble Hill HS - NY
Hugo Horwitz, D, TSF/Academy Glen Rock HS - NJ
Ari Klayman, D, PDA/Staten Island Technical HS - NY
Harper Nicholl, F/M, Blau Weiss Gottschee/UN International S - NY
Will Sawin, M, South Kent S - CT (a 2022.5 "Feb"?)

Trinity
Shane Ivey, F, Cedar Stars A/Columbia Secondary S - NY
Sam Singer, (?), American S in London - UK

Tufts
Bijan Akhtarzandi-Das, M, Arlington SA/Washington International S - DC
Ben Brown, M, Boston Bolts/Concord-Carlisle HS - MA
Demis Calkap, M, PDA/Northern Valley Regional HS - NJ
Xavier Canfin, M, FC Westchester - NY
Sandy Duggal, F/M, Shattuck-St. Mary's S - NY/MN
Brendan French, Nashville SCA/Lausanne Collegiate S - TN
Ethan Jett, M, Rise SC/Kinkaid S - TX
Zackary Salfi, F, Real Colorado/East HS - CO
Zach Ubamadu, G, Chattanooga Red Wolves/Baylor HS - TN

Wesleyan
Anthony Avallone, F, Circolo Canottieri Roma/St. Stephen's S Rome - Italy
Dylan Clack, M, CT Rush/Choate Rosemary Hall - Canada/CT
Zach Feldman, D, STA/Livingston HS - NJ
Joshwin Jennings, M, TSF/Delbarton S - NJ
Yousuf Saeed, M, Rise SC/Episcopal HS - TX
Colin Tsay, D, STA/Delbarton S - NJ
Sam Wheeler, M, CT Rush/Choate Rosemary Hall - CT

Williams
Andrew Coelho, M, New England Surf/Worcester A - CT
Kellan Grace, M, Beachside SC/Weston HS - CT
Griffin Labonski, D, Beachside SC/Staples HS - CT
Leon Ma, M, PDA/Pingry S - NJ
Spencer Mix, F, FSA FC/Loomis Chafee S - CT
Atticus Ross, D, Seacoast United SC/Phillips Exeter A - NH
Jeff Stauffer, F/M, Seacoast United SC - MA
Beck Walthers, D, Real SoCal/Getafe IMFA/Harvard-Westlake S - CA

OUTGOING TRANSFERS?

Bates
Max McKersie, D, to NYU (graduate, D3)

Colby
Ethan Franco, F, to Northeastern U (D1)

Tufts
Erik Lauta, G, to U New Hampshire (D1)

Yankeesoccerdad

Quote from: Newenglander on May 05, 2023, 03:12:53 PM
Conn Recruiting Class:

https://express.adobe.com/page/qyJPcY4PK2zsg/?fbclid=PAAaYygjkzkT7WPr90L-g_p-OurXV12TLcOi0KdnouqwV2ogUc32aqNeserSo

Interesting . .  .10 seems like a lot from both a soccer team perspective and an admissions influencing perspective.