Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, March 01, 2005, 04:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackson5

Last I heard they were still only paying 40-50K a year for a coach. Don't know if that's gone up though. They have been doing alot of renovating and expanding on campus though. Currently building a new hockey arena as we speak.  They have probably the nicest campus in the league right on the water, average academics in the league, and not prohibitive cost of attendance. It doesn't surprise me that they are usually the top of the league in all of their sports and is a very winnable place to coach at.  But at the current pay, you can make more being a high school AD or working in the front office of a D-1 or D-2 athletic department.  If they want to have more stability they need to pay more, but they're getting a pretty good bang for their buck now so I don't see a reason to change.

jackson5

Hoopdirt has Franklin Pierce's head coach David Chadbourne as a finalist for the Endicott Job. How are they pulling that off? Dude has done a great job there and even gotten them to the elite eight, yet he's considering a CCC job?

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jackson5 on July 31, 2014, 11:46:02 PM
Hoopdirt has Franklin Pierce's head coach David Chadbourne as a finalist for the Endicott Job. How are they pulling that off? Dude has done a great job there and even gotten them to the elite eight, yet he's considering a CCC job?

Much easier recruiting and a better location?  I also wonder if coach's don't see the writing on the wall pretty easily and jump from success right as it crests.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

jackson5

But it's a Division 2 job in the NE-10, where he's already having success and is coming off 3 straight 20 win seasons including an Elite eight run two years ago. It'd be much easier for him to move up to a D-1 job from there then it would be from Endicott. And I can't imagine that it'd be a huge pay increase to Endicott unless Franklin Pierce is paying peanuts. And all of that aside, if he was going to move to a D-3 job, you'd think it'd be to a better conference than the CCC which is almost always a one bid conference.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Let's be honest... an Elite Eight run in Division II isn't as impressive as Division III or Division I. Smaller field (32) and thus less games. I am not trying to belittle a run to the final eight, but it is a bit easier in a division where there are less games and arguably a far wider distance between the really good teams and the also-rans in the tournament.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

jackson5

Yeah there's less teams, but still he's in the final 8 of over 250 teams.  And for the most part the top D-2 coaches leave their positions for D-1 jobs,  not D-3. And most D-2 jobs pay more than D-3.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

What I'm saying is that unless he thinks he can create a dynasty at Franklin Pierce, he might have just gotten out at the peak of his success.  If he's really after a d1 job, they're not going to care what division he went from, they're going to look for continued success.

He lands and Endicott, if they do well for a few years, he moves up the ranks to something bigger.  Frankly, if you want to be a head coach at the d1 level, d3 might be a better place to prove it.

jackson5

But you don't leave your peak for a lesser job. Even if he wanted to go the D-3 route, there's other places where its easier to win at than Endicott.

But your argument about how its easier to move up at a D-3 school than a D-2 isn't valid. D-1 and D-2 are similar in that you get to offer scholarships in both, in D-3 you have to find other ways to sell your school. Also there's more overlap of AAU and High school teams to make connections with in the D-1 pool and D-2 pool than the D-1 and D-3 pool. Finally more D-2 coaches are hired for D-1 jobs than D-3 coaches are. Since 1999, only 9 coaches have gone straight from D-3 to D-1. Just in recent years you have Michael Grant going to Coppin State, Casey going to Niagara, Cluess going to Iona and Kim Anderson going to Missouri straight from the D-2 ranks. 

This wouldn't be a move that's about trying to help his career. It would have to be for money which is surprising that Endicott pays that much more than Franklin Pierce. It's also surprising because after his elite eight run he should have all the job security in the world for the next 3-4 years.

CCC Talk

This could very well have something to do with it:

http://www.sentinelsource.com/news/local/franklin-pierce-university-credit-downgraded/article_bd950d4a-7767-5a6a-a6e8-d167065e15a0.html

Not good times for Franklin Pierce as an institution right now, and he's always been one of the lesser paid coaches in the NE10

jackson5

Well that'll do it. If Endicott doesn't offer him the job I'll be surprised. Also surprised they haven't made a decision yet. It's really screwing over the players. They don't know who they'll be playing for and at this point its too late to go someplace else.

northeasthoopfan

Jackson 5

If they don't get Chadbourne, the other three finalists are terrific candidates as well, so Endicott will end up with someone very qualified.

When I first saw the finalists, I figured Kevin Bettencourt would have a great shot, seeing as he is well known from his playing days in that area (Peabody High School). Guess we will have to wait and see!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I'm not really arguing against you, just trying to offer alternative possibilities.

My time around coaches has led me to believe that they put a lot less stock in the division distinctions than the rest of us.  They look much more at results - I don't think coaches would care much about the difference between Endicott and Franklin Pierce.

jackson5

Quote from: northeasthoopfan on August 04, 2014, 07:20:01 AM
Jackson 5

If they don't get Chadbourne, the other three finalists are terrific candidates as well, so Endicott will end up with someone very qualified.

When I first saw the finalists, I figured Kevin Bettencourt would have a great shot, seeing as he is well known from his playing days in that area (Peabody High School). Guess we will have to wait and see!

I like Bettencourt, local guy that I'm sure has some good connections to the local programs. Concerned about not having any head coaching experience which causes greater risk. But I like his resume and the local ties could lead to this being a  career job and have give Endicott some stability.

Aaron Kelly has potential to. He has experience at Williams and has D-1 connections. The lack of head coaching experience draws the same red flags. But everyone has to start somewhere and most CCC schools aren't going to get guys with head coaching experience.

The Mark Gilbride name doesn't make much sense to me. He's been connected with a bunch of jobs but he hasn't really done anything spectacular at Clarkson. He's the one I'd be most disappointed with if Endicott hired.

I'd go Chadbourne, Bettencourt, Kelly, Gilbride as my order for who Endicott should try to hire.  I also noticed that all of these coaches have connections to coaching at academically superior institutions, wonder if that's the direction that the school wants to start going in in recruiting athletes.

northeasthoopfan

Bettencourt officially in at Endicott

http://ecgulls.com/sports/mbkb/2014-15/releases/20140805v5y1qe

Called my shot a little bit there, haha. Never go against the local guy!

jackson5

Good get for them. Chadbourne would've been a steal, but I like Bettencourt's resume.