MBB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by Board Mod, February 28, 2005, 11:18:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 18, 2019, 11:25:40 PM
Quote from: USee on March 18, 2019, 11:17:25 PM
So The Thunder go from ORV (ostensibly 31st) to 6th. Is that one of the biggest jump in the polls on record?

Probably ONE of the biggest, but just last year NebWes went from the equivalent of #26 to unanimous #1.  And Springfield went from zero votes to #4.

In 2013, UMHB went from zero votes to #2 at the end of it all.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

bbfan44

Quote from: mwunder on March 19, 2019, 11:28:12 AM
Quote from: kiko on March 18, 2019, 09:30:19 PM
So a question for the more tenured posters on this board...

We just completed a season ending in '9'.  If you had to build a CCIW all-decade team using the same parameters as the annual all-conference team (eight first teamers, eight second teamers, MOP, etc.), who would be your selections?  The era in question is 2009-10 through 2018-19.

1st Team:
Ashton Francis, Wheaton 
Steve Djurickovic, Carthage
Juwan Henry, North Park 
Derek Rairdon, North Central
Tim McCrary, Wheaton
Hunter Hill, Augustana
Alex Sorenson, North Central
Landon Gamble, North Central

Second team would be a lot more difficult, but I think a good start would include Malcolm Kelly, Tyler Peters, Connor Rairdon, Doug Sexauer, Dylan Overstreet, Brady Rose, Nolan Ebel, Kyle Nelson, and Chrishawn Orange.

Kent Raymond 08-09.... just missed your 09-10 parameter, but since it was in a season ending in 9, like you mentioned... I'll squeeze it in...no hate please...he was great.

mwunder

Quote from: bbfan44 on March 19, 2019, 05:27:56 PM

Kent Raymond 08-09.... just missed your 09-10 parameter, but since it was in a season ending in 9, like you mentioned... I'll squeeze it in...no hate please...he was great.

Didn't make the team based on his numbers for one season.  He was on the previous all-decade team and Steve D had better numbers than him in that '09 season anyway, even though Raymond won POTY.  I'm pretty sure if you search through the this CCIW topic that you'll find an argument or two about it from back in '09.

kiko

Since I asked the question, I figure I should offer an opinion.  I had forgotten about Tim McCrary...

First Team
Aston Francis - 3x unanimous first team and 2x MOP
Steve Djurickovic - 2x unanimous first team and 2x MOP
Hunter Hill - 2x unanimous first team / 1x second team and 2x MOP
Derek Raridon - 2x first team / 2x second team and 1x MOP
Tim McCrary - 3x unanimous first team
Landon Gamble - 4x first team
Juwan Henry - 3x first team / 1x third team
Alex Sorenson - 3x unanimous first team

Second Team
Jordan Robinson - 1x unanimous first team / 1x second team / 1x third team and 1x MOP
Dylan Overstreet - 2x first team / 1x second team and 1x MOP
Brady Rose - 3x first team / 2x unanimous
Malcolm Kelly - 2x first team / 1x second team
Tyler Peters - 2x  first team / 1x unanimous and 1x MOP
Connor Raridon - 2x first team / 1x second team
Crishawn Orange - 3x first team / 1x unanimous
Ben Ryan - 2x first team / 1x second team

Coach - Grey (108-38 regular season conference record; three outright and three shared titles)

MOP of Decade - Aston Francis.  Had Steve D's career not split between two decades, this would have been a more difficult choice.

Others I considered, in alphabetical order: Kienan Baltimore, Victor Davis, Nolan Ebel, Brad Kruse, Kyle Nelson, Doug Sexauer, Kyle Wuest, Andrew Ziemnik.

Gregory Sager

Jordan Robinson needs to be on the first team. Only six CCIW players made first-team All-American over the past decade, and he's one of them. He's also the only CCIW player who averaged 20 and 10 over the course of a season in this decade -- and he nearly did it twice. He shouldn't be penalized for the fact that the coaches gave him the Kienan Baltimore treatment in 2015-16.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

mwunder

Quote from: Gregory Sager on March 20, 2019, 11:18:16 AM
Jordan Robinson needs to be on the first team. Only six CCIW players made first-team All-American over the past decade, and he's one of them. He's also the only CCIW player who averaged 20 and 10 over the course of a season in this decade -- and he nearly did it twice. He shouldn't be penalized for the fact that the coaches gave him the Kienan Baltimore treatment in 2015-16.

Then who do you pull off of the first team?

Gregory Sager

I'd swap him with Sorenson. Robinson's career scoring and rebounding numbers over his three seasons are only slightly below those of Sorenson over the course of his three seasons, and Robinson didn't have the luxury of spending his freshman season playing and practicing on a D2 team, or of playing as a senior. Nor did Sorenson ever have to share the ball with someone like Juwan Henry; Sorenson took more shots than any other Cardinal all three of his seasons by a wide margin, while Henry took a whole lot more shots than did Robinson over the course of their three years as NPU teammates.

Robinson was the more multi-faceted player of the two. Does anybody remember that Jordan Robinson led the league in assists two seasons ago? He is the only CCIW player over the past two decades -- and perhaps longer than that -- to record a season in which he finished in the top two in the league in points, rebounds, and assists. He was on the CCIW steals leaderboard for two seasons as well, although that's probably a wash when compared to Sorenson's superior shot-blocking numbers. Robinson also brought the extra dimension of three-point shooting to the table; yes, Sorenson did lead the league in trey shooting percentage as a sophomore in 2015-16, but that was a blip in an otherwise unremarkable career as a three-point shooter. Sorenson also benefited from limiting himself to fewer than three trey attempts per CCIW game that season. For Robinson, treys were a large part of his game, not an occasional adjunct; he shot 37% more career trey attempts than Sorenson did (and made them at a .392 rate to Sorenson's .359). And yet, in spite of all of those additional trey attempts he took, he was nevertheless still a better shooter overall from the field than Sorenson was, despite also being a whole lot shorter than the NCC big man.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Borganization

Quote from: AndOne on March 17, 2019, 11:21:10 PM
Quote from: Titan Q on March 17, 2019, 07:44:34 PM
Quote from: BobbyO on March 17, 2019, 07:39:47 PM
Now that the season is over, I was wondering who will be the Lead Dog for 19-20 both CCIW and National.  Augustana appears to not be the favorite.  Ebel's replacement now is Jack Jelen.  I am not impressed with him and I do not see the leadership and drive from him.  Orange's replacement is unknown but might be Austin Elledge who can shoot and play defense but can he be the quiet leader.  Brett Benning may be the hardest one to replace, hopefully there will be some growing up from the reserves or a new recruit.

It will be Wofford's team to lead.

I don't know about the other schools and would like to see your opinions.

Good Luck Coach G this week!

Freshman PG Jack McDonald (currently at Geneva HS) could win that starting PG job...he seems to be a big-time recruit.

Saw McDonald play 3x this year and first saw him back in his sophomore season on varsity.
The fact is he could have started for some college teams this year. I will be very surprised if he isn't Augie's starting PG next year. Might not be ready to start the first game, but should take over the position fairly quickly. I don't see a returning guard better than him. Based on PT this season, it would appear Jelen & Kellen are Augie's top returnees at the guard spot. I think McDonald will have it all over both of them. He is super on the dribble drive. and is an exquisite passer. He can carve an opponent up. It's completely within the realm of possibility that he will lead the conference in assists and A/TO ratio before he is through. At this point, he is not quite the shooter Ebel is but he is certainly above average. And remember, Ebel is four years older. How did Ebel shoot it as a freshman?
Defensively, he isn't as quick as Orange, but who is? He certainly isn't slow. Also, I think he is only 5/10 or 5/11 so some opponents are going to be able to shoot over him.
In summary, this is a top tier D3 recruit. A pass first true PG who rates a grade of A as far as decision making goes. When you combine his current level of talent with his future further development, I think he is a future certain all-conference player, probable all-region, and AA achievement would not be a surprise at all.

Good analysis of McDonald. I cover Batavia on local cable access so have seen all of the DuKane/Upstate Eight guys a lot. Perhaps biased as an Augie alum, I always thought he would be a great fit in Grey's system and secretly hoped he would stay a Viking. By all accounts, a top notch kid as well. I think Cody Mitchell (STC East) will be a good fit at Wesleyan - athletic and became a lot more consistent as a senior. Nate Ortiz (STC East/Augie) is a good shooter and could eventually be a Dylan Sortillo-like player. Lucas Heflin from STC North (IWU) is a solid player though I don't see him cracking the Titan lineup right away. Schauer's kid was all-conference at Wheaton North and has a nice game. Congrats to Batavia's own Eric Peterson who was Oshkosh's 6th man as a freshman - I honestly didn't see him making such an impact so soon. 

Titan Q

https://twitter.com/KeondreKschuma/status/1108492114487398400

Ron Rose and the Titans have landed Division 1 transfer Keondre Schumacher, a 6-0 G from Winthrop. As a senior at Normal U High, Schumacher averaged 17 ppg, 3 rpg, 4 apg; he was named to 3A 2nd team all-state. Out of HS, Schumacher had D1 offers from Winthrop, North Dakota, Cal Poly, and Indiana-Fort Wayne; and many D2 offers.  He will be a sophomore next year.

I've never seen Schumacher play.  What I know about him from others:
* He is a combo guard
* He's extremely fast and quick
* He can shoot it
* He's a good passer

As a Titan, he will compete for time at the 2.  (IWU is in good shape at the 1 with Grant Wolfe and Luke Yoder.).

I don't think Schumacher is going to come in and dominate the CCIW or anything like that.  But I do think he's going to help the Titans.  He'll provide some great athleticism and quickness on the perimeter.  He redshirted his first year at Winthrop and has put on lot of muscle since his senior year of HS in '16-17.

Definitely an intriguing addition to the IWU roster.

https://winthropeagles.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4952

https://www.pantagraph.com/sports/high-school/basketball/boys/pantagraph-all-area-boys-basketball-team/article_06bde0cd-a9d0-5e88-b8ab-502854ff3d0a.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DybckPq3pUA

https://www.pantagraph.com/high-school/university-high/u-high-guard-schumacher-selects-winthrop/article_b57198cf-611b-5657-b9ba-49eaa8c10f65.html

https://www.heraldonline.com/sports/college/big-south/winthrop-university/article144662319.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRS2J0ANI6I

https://www.prephoops.com/2016/09/keondre-schumacher-commits-winthrop/

https://www.ihsa.org/IHSAState/IHSAStateArticles/tabid/768/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/1227/2016-17-Associated-Press-Boys-Basketball-All-State-Teams.aspx

Titan Q

Quote from: kiko on March 20, 2019, 01:32:28 AM
Since I asked the question, I figure I should offer an opinion.  I had forgotten about Tim McCrary...

First Team
Aston Francis - 3x unanimous first team and 2x MOP
Steve Djurickovic - 2x unanimous first team and 2x MOP
Hunter Hill - 2x unanimous first team / 1x second team and 2x MOP
Derek Raridon - 2x first team / 2x second team and 1x MOP
Tim McCrary - 3x unanimous first team
Landon Gamble - 4x first team
Juwan Henry - 3x first team / 1x third team
Alex Sorenson - 3x unanimous first team

Second Team
Jordan Robinson - 1x unanimous first team / 1x second team / 1x third team and 1x MOP
Dylan Overstreet - 2x first team / 1x second team and 1x MOP
Brady Rose - 3x first team / 2x unanimous
Malcolm Kelly - 2x first team / 1x second team
Tyler Peters - 2x  first team / 1x unanimous and 1x MOP
Connor Raridon - 2x first team / 1x second team
Crishawn Orange - 3x first team / 1x unanimous
Ben Ryan - 2x first team / 1x second team

Coach - Grey (108-38 regular season conference record; three outright and three shared titles)

MOP of Decade - Aston Francis.  Had Steve D's career not split between two decades, this would have been a more difficult choice.

Others I considered, in alphabetical order: Kienan Baltimore, Victor Davis, Nolan Ebel, Brad Kruse, Kyle Nelson, Doug Sexauer, Kyle Wuest, Andrew Ziemnik.

Jordan Zimmer is another guy in the mix.  He was a 3rd Team All-American in 2011-12 (1st Team All-CCIW).  Led his team to the Final Four.

Titan Q

IWU's recruits I am aware of...

* Lucas Heflen, 6-3 G, St. Charles North HS
* Cole Khoury, 6-8 F/C, Columbia HS
* Cody Mitchell, 6-6 F, St. Charles East HS
* Tommy Nelson, 6-5 F, Bloomington Central Catholic
* Keondre Schumacher, 6-0 PG/SG, D1 Winthrop U./Normal U High
* Ryan Verhulst, 6-3 G, Hersey HS
* Luke Yoder, 6-0 PG, Bloomington Central Catholic

Mr. Ypsi

Happy Spring, everyone!  (The equinox was about 55 minutes ago.)  Now, if we could just getting it feeling more like spring temperature-wise!

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on March 20, 2019, 06:52:48 PM
Happy Spring, everyone!  (The equinox was about 55 minutes ago.)  Now, if we could just getting it feeling more like spring temperature-wise!

I apologize for whining with no legitimate justification - it has actually been at or slightly above normal for a couple of weeks.  And except for that 'polar vortex', it has actually been a relatively mild winter.  And I well-remember a few years ago when we got an extreme warm-up way too early, then the predictable freeze after fruit trees had already budded - an autumn with no cider mills is no autumn! :(  And, yes, I learned about 'deferred gratification' in early childhood, but dammit - I'm cold!  I want spring to get here and stay here!

Gregory Sager

I have a vested interest in rooting for spring to show up, Chuck. North Park is not only playing its softball home opener on Saturday, it's playing home doubleheaders both days this weekend. The high in NPU's zip code is only predicted to be 46 on Saturday and 51 (and rainy) on Sunday. Of course, I get to call the games from the warmth of the press box while the players, coaches, and umps (and whatever foolhardy fans show up) have to be outside, but still ....

(Next Wednesday's baseball home opener at NPU doesn't look much better, with a forecasted high of 53.)