BB: General Mid-East Region talk

Started by Gramps, February 09, 2011, 06:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gramps

D3 Baseball just published their assessment of the Mid-East Region Teams. Agree or Disagree?? Any comments??

DelawareCityMan

Personally I believe that there will be more teams in the mix for league championships, so who ends up going to Marietta for the Regional may not even be showing on the Poll List they have out.  The "berg" and "etta" are probably the two it will come down to for the Region as Wooster may have a lot of rebuilding to do with so few position players coming back.  Someone is pumping sunshine up OWU's skirt too as their season could be done after their southern spring trip, playing the "berg" once and "etta" twice....But they do host COW the first weekend of NCAC play, and that's after COW plays at Wabash the day before....League Championships are WIDE OPEN this season....

macdade77

DC Man,
I posted previously that Woo winning the NCAC is not a foregone conclusion in 2011. They return 3 quality starters and a couple of good relievers. The Scots should do fairly well on their Spring trip but might end up dropping a few more than usual because of the league scheduling you alluded to. They'll have to save starters for the 4 league games to be played on their way home from Florida. The change to the dead bats certainly won't hurt Woo as they were going to have to play more small ball anyway given their graduation losses. OWU might return as good a nucleus in the filed and on the dish as any team in the conference your attempts to sandbag notwithstanding. My son played with several OWU players this summer. Did your son play on that team as well???

DelawareCityMan

Macdade, my son graduated a long time ago and not from Ohio Wesleyan.  OWU is just the local university I follow and baseball is a sport I love watching, reading about, and talking about.  I agree with you about the NCAC schedule format for this season and I've not seen the new bats in action that you referred to, so I can't say that they will make any difference.  I do find that it is interesting that COW is able to play a meaningful NCAC DH in Florida, while everyone else in the league, with the exception of their opponent Alleghaney, has to play all their league contests in the great weather of the mid-West....  Somehow that just doesn't seem right....your thoughts?

macdade77

DC Man,
I'm not sure whether it's right or nor but Woo has been playing a NCAC doubleheader on their Spring trip for the last several years. We used to play Allegheny in FLA  but for the past two years Kenyon has been our opponent. This means we don't have to squeeze as many games in when we come home. Also, for whatever reason, we seem to be ahead of these other teams early on in the season.

Gramps

Congrats to THE BERG's Gar Keen on being selected #8 in the Preseason selection of the top 25 Players in D3 Ohio schools.

http://buckeyestatebaseball.com/2011/02/....een-heidelberg/

GO BERG!!!!

mideastfan2

Some big in-region games coming up for the Mideast, as many of the top teams are down in FL for their spring trips.  Marietta & Adrian already split a doubleheader.

Marietta vs Ohio Wesleyan today.

Heidelberg, OWU, and others will also be pairing up to get some big games in before heading back to the cold weather  :)

Wooster doesn't get down to FL in time to get a piece of the top Mideast teams, but Petorini does a great job of taking care of that in his scheduling once the Scots are back in Ohio.

Should be a great season for in-region matchups between the top teams....could make for some great coaching when the Regionals come around (as teams will know quite a bit about each other already)!!

countyroad

How has the new bat rules impacted the games so far?  I have not looked at any box scores as I follow Wooster and they've yet to play, as you mentioned. 

HOF

Looks like the MidEast Region will be tough again.  Being an MIAA fan, I was very surprised to see Adrian split with Marietta.  Does D3Baseball.com really think Adrian's off to a disappointing start?  Looks to me they had a good spring trip against some quality teams.  Also see Marietta's staff looks tough, Heidelberg is pounding the ball.  Can't wait til the season gets in full swing!

Gramps

THE BERG offense exploded again Mon. at Terry Park in Ft. Myers, FL with a 16 run, 13 hit win over Olivet (1 Run - 6 Hits)
Highlights: Gar Keen - 3 for 3, 5 RBIs, 3 Runs scored.
* Don't tell Willie B-recun that the new bats will curtail the long ball. He had his 2nd HR in 2 days. (2-5, 4 RBIs, 1 run)
* Elvin Williams showed his versatility with a 3-4, 1 RBI, 3 runs scored at the plate and than switched to the arm on the mound in the 8th with a no hit, no run, 2 SO effort.
* Rick Lizcano 2-3, 2 RBI, 4 runs scored

GO BERG!!!

EttaFan1

They have 30 wins, a regional winning percentage of .700, and a SOS ranking of 76 (which is 3rd most difficult in the region to Marietta and Heidelberg). 

Have they done enough?

forheavendial4999

Quote from: EttaFan1 on April 25, 2011, 09:09:10 AM
They have 30 wins, a regional winning percentage of .700, and a SOS ranking of 76 (which is 3rd most difficult in the region to Marietta and Heidelberg). 

Have they done enough?

Maybe? Probably depends on what Chapman does in its last two weekend series.

Bishopleftiesdad

EttaFan1

Of course losing to John Carrol yesterday didn't help their cause one bit.  I may be a stretch to see them in the tournament.

forheavendial4999

#3 in the regional rankings. Seems like they may have a good chance.

I think in end Adrian will be above them though. Maybe Transy or Manchester as well.

The whole regional ranking sheet looks like a rough draft.