Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cave2bens

Quote from: Vandy74 on July 02, 2013, 03:46:11 AM

Besides pointing out what I used to know :-[, that Denison has played serious men's lacrosse for quite a while 

And yes, it looks like Wabash is taking up lacrosse with serious intent.  Corcoran's credentials are first-rate.  He would be a legitimate candidate for any D3 coaching job in the country.  He would not have taken on the task of building a new program affiliated with the NCAC if he didn't have the school administrators' guarantee that they want/expect him to be successful.  Best of luck to the Little Giants!

It does this old geezer good to see lacrosse regaining popularity in the Great Lakes area.  Defiance is another program re-starting this year after about a thirty-seven year break.  Back in the dark ages (late 60's-early 70s), they had pretty strong sides and along with OWU and Denison often gave Ohio State and Bowling Green fits.

Wittenberg is another up and comer after gaining some strong players from the Columbus area. Next year should be pretty interesting for the NCAC.   
"Forever more as in days of yore Their deeds be noble and grand"

NCF

Quote from: cave2bens on August 06, 2013, 11:00:57 PM

Besides pointing out what I used to know :-[, that Denison has played serious men's lacrosse for quite a while 

And yes, it looks like Wabash is taking up lacrosse with serious intent.  Corcoran's credentials are first-rate.  He would be a legitimate candidate for any D3 coaching job in the country.  He would not have taken on the task of building a new program affiliated with the NCAC if he didn't have the school administrators' guarantee that they want/expect him to be successful.  Best of luck to the Little Giants!

It does this old geezer good to see lacrosse regaining popularity in the Great Lakes area.  Defiance is another program re-starting this year after about a thirty-seven year break.  Back in the dark ages (late 60's-early 70s), they had pretty strong sides and along with OWU and Denison often gave Ohio State and Bowling Green fits.

Wittenberg is another up and comer after gaining some strong players from the Columbus area. Next year should be pretty interesting for the NCAC.
The first time I can recall seeing lacrosse being played in Illinois was about 10 years ago. Here is an article that talks about the growth of the sport here:
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20110317/sports/703179699/
Lacrosse is also listed as an emerging sport by the IHSA (Illinois High School Association).
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13
CCIW  MEN"S INDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: TOTAL DOMINATION SINCE 2001.
CCIW MEN'S OUTDOOR TRACK CHAMPIONS: 35
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11
2013 OAC post season pick-em tri-champion
2015 CCIW Pick-em co-champion

Vandy74

Quote from: cave2bens on August 06, 2013, 11:00:57 PM

I don't follow the men's game as closely as I do the women's but I know that Denison along with Ohio Wesleyan are no strangers to the post season tournament.  I've already mentioned Denison's competition with Middlebury during a time when both programs were at their best.  A friend of mine who grew up in Ohio and is a '63 Denison grad told me he considered playing lacrosse after realizing he lacked the size to continue with football so their program is as old as the eastern schools.  Why did Defiance (and others?) stop playing the sport?  I don't know if I've mentioned this before (old geezers forget things, you know) but Lake Forrest, IL's Stew Kerr was 2nd in goals scored and 4th in points overall for Middlebury last season.

NCF

An older article on the possibility of the CCIW sponsoring lacrosse:

http://www.laxmagazine.com/college_men/DIII/2012-13/news/092012_illinois_wesleyan_adding_mens_womens_lacrosse

Here is another link to current information:

http://insidelacrosse.com/headlines/2013/D3?page=1
NATIONAL CHAMPIONS: INDOOR TRACK-'89,'10,'11,'12/OUTDOOR TRACK: '89,'94,'98,'00,'10,'11

hickory_cornhusker

Carroll is adding men's and women's lacrosse for 2014-15 season.

http://gopios.com/news/2013/10/2/mlax_1002130603.aspx

NCF

amh63

I am surprised to find myself here on this board!  Remember the days when JHU lacrosse players would play football to condition themselves for lacrosse .
Anyway,  here's my take on the " explosion" of lacrosse programs over the country...not just the Midwest.  In my area, in the MD suburbs of Washington, DC there is an exponential growth of public school teams, club teams, etc.....even when there are historic lacrosse areas/teams in nearby Balitmore and in private schools.  The soccer moms are followed by the lacrosse moms and dads now.  The kids in the wealthier "suburbs" that send their kids to private and public colleges around the country look for lacrosse programs as they still do for soccer programs.  In this competative world of college enrollment...as college bound students decrease...schools want to be able to compete...for students; especially for students that need less aid.  Lacrosse is not a cheap sport to play well.  This growth of interest is happening all over.
I may be stating the obvious on this board and to posters that have stated my points earlier. 
As I was surprised to see NCF on the Nescac football board, I also wanted to return the act. :)

NCF

Quote from: amh63 on October 07, 2013, 02:24:29 PM
I am surprised to find myself here on this board!  Remember the days when JHU lacrosse players would play football to condition themselves for lacrosse .
Anyway,  here's my take on the " explosion" of lacrosse programs over the country...not just the Midwest.  In my area, in the MD suburbs of Washington, DC there is an exponential growth of public school teams, club teams, etc.....even when there are historic lacrosse areas/teams in nearby Balitmore and in private schools.  The soccer moms are followed by the lacrosse moms and dads now.  The kids in the wealthier "suburbs" that send their kids to private and public colleges around the country look for lacrosse programs as they still do for soccer programs.  In this competative world of college enrollment...as college bound students decrease...schools want to be able to compete...for students; especially for students that need less aid.  Lacrosse is not a cheap sport to play well.  This growth of interest is happening all over.
I may be stating the obvious on this board and to posters that have stated my points earlier. 
As I was surprised to see NCF on the Nescac football board, I also wanted to return the act. :)
Remember, I am on the NESCAC boards to follow the sons of  family friends who we met while the boys grew up wrestling in the same youth program. They all then went to the same high school. The funny part (well at least to me) was that all three of them turned out to be Cardinals in college with the same color scheme)-imagine that.
As far as the lacrosse "explosion", just look at the tv commercial for chase bank. Just a few years ago, that probably wouldn't fly.
In the Illinois there were few high schools (mostly affluent) that offered lacrosse. Now, even my son's old high school offers the sport-and I never thought I'd see the day :)

amh63

Back again with a tidbit that,IMO , illustrates the growing popularity of lacrosse.
The WSJ has its real estate section, "mansions" on Friday.  A Greenwich CT house was featured and the selling tease item for the house was that it had a lacrosse turf field.....it also had an indoor BB court.  The area is also known to use private lacrosse coaches for the kids....outside of school programs and clubs.

NCF

Quote from: amh63 on October 11, 2013, 02:25:21 PM
Back again with a tidbit that,IMO , illustrates the growing popularity of lacrosse.
The WSJ has its real estate section, "mansions" on Friday.  A Greenwich CT house was featured and the selling tease item for the house was that it had a lacrosse turf field.....it also had an indoor BB court.  The area is also known to use private lacrosse coaches for the kids....outside of school programs and clubs.

I'd love that indoor basketball court ;D

NCF

The CCIW has announced that both men's and women's lacrosse will be added beginning with the 2014-15 school years. That came about much quicker than I thought.

Vandy74

Is it really that time of year already?  Keep the snow shovels handy. ;D  The NESCAC season opened today.  Middlebury's #3 ranked women's team traveled to Tufts and after taking a 10-2 halftime lead withstood a rally to hold on for a 12-8 victory.   The Panther men, ranked 18th in the preseason evaluation, played #5 ranked Tufts at home suffering the program's worst defeat since taking a 23-3 drubbing at the hands of Harvard way back in 1961.  Today it was 24-6, Tufts.  Ouch!!! 

NCF

Quote from: Vandy74 on March 01, 2014, 07:36:04 PM
Is it really that time of year already?  Keep the snow shovels handy. ;D  The NESCAC season opened today.  Middlebury's #3 ranked women's team traveled to Tufts and after taking a 10-2 halftime lead withstood a rally to hold on for a 12-8 victory.   The Panther men, ranked 18th in the preseason evaluation, played #5 ranked Tufts at home suffering the program's worst defeat since taking a 23-3 drubbing at the hands of Harvard way back in 1961.  Today it was 24-6, Tufts.  Ouch!!!
Starting games on March 1st? North Central doesn't  play their first game until March 22nd!

Vandy74

Quote from: NCF on March 02, 2014, 08:36:02 AM
Quote from: Vandy74 on March 01, 2014, 07:36:04 PM
Starting games on March 1st? North Central doesn't  play their first game until March 22nd!

I'm not sure what the story is.  On the school site's athletics link Middlebury archives their seasons back to 1999-2000 when the NESCAC became a playing conference.  Since then they have never played this early and have only played as early as March 7 twice.  The usual starting date is around the 15th but several times they have played their first game a week later than that.  The weather isn't expected to warm up much any time soon and they play again next Saturday at Conn. College.

NCF

Looks like the Cardinals head out west again for spring break!! They travel to California right after their opening game to take on Whittier-3/24, Occidental-3/25 and Pomona Pitzer-3/27.