COVID19 Related Topics

Started by Dave 'd-mac' McHugh, June 11, 2020, 03:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

The bidding process is still open for 2022-2025 in this cycle. There is talk about SB V being given back to Salem as recognition of what Salem has done for D-III but I guess I would expect Canton to have Staggs in the 2022-2025 cycle if it wants them. (Hope it wants them!)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

NYTimes has an article primarily about DIII sports and the challenges right now. Has a lot of Randolph-Macon quotes in it. If you have a way through the pay wall, or haven't used up your allotment of free articles, it's worth a read.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/14/education/learning/college-sports-pandemic.html

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Pat Coleman on September 24, 2020, 10:14:22 AM
The bidding process is still open for 2022-2025 in this cycle. There is talk about SB V being given back to Salem as recognition of what Salem has done for D-III but I guess I would expect Canton to have Staggs in the 2022-2025 cycle if it wants them. (Hope it wants them!)

SB V of course being SB L, and they did announce that today.
https://www.d3football.com/notables/2020/10/stagg-bowl-will-break-the-mold
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 14, 2020, 03:04:54 PM

Interesting the effort they went to distinguishing the next SB in Texas will be organized by someone completely different. Kind of funny.

Pat Coleman

I mean, I would say that distinction is "emphasis mine" but I did feel it was important.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: jknezek on October 14, 2020, 03:12:55 PM

Less important and more obvious.

From my perspective, the bid in Shenandoah would have probably been pretty good if the group that had put the bid together and still been there when the event arrived. Unfortunately, the town basically had a bit of a mutiny (for other reasons unrelated to the Stagg Bowl and such best I can tell) politically and the majority of the town board was overturned and the town manager was basically forced out of office and a new one brought in. That caused absolutely upheaval of the entire event ... and we know how that turned out.

I have been told the group UMHB has teamed up with is a very good group - the head of the Salem effort at championships speaks highly of them and that should be a good sign for everyone for that bid.

Interesting the effort they went to distinguishing the next SB in Texas will be organized by someone completely different. Kind of funny.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 15, 2020, 04:42:42 PM
Quote from: jknezek on October 14, 2020, 03:12:55 PM

Less important and more obvious.

From my perspective, the bid in Shenandoah would have probably been pretty good if the group that had put the bid together and still been there when the event arrived. Unfortunately, the town basically had a bit of a mutiny (for other reasons unrelated to the Stagg Bowl and such best I can tell) politically and the majority of the town board was overturned and the town manager was basically forced out of office and a new one brought in. That caused absolutely upheaval of the entire event ... and we know how that turned out.

I have been told the group UMHB has teamed up with is a very good group - the head of the Salem effort at championships speaks highly of them and that should be a good sign for everyone for that bid.

The group in Houston is the same one responsible for the 2023 Final Four.   They're in fine hands.