14.3 PPG
9.8 RPG
53% FG

I wonder if he'll bring "Cousin" Chrishawn with him. 🤔😉

Pistol Pete

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Pistol Pete on April 04, 2018, 12:11:11 PM
So... did I miss anything?

No better way to break 13 days of silence on this board! Welcome back. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Pistol Pete

Thanks, Pat.  I got distracted by the 2008 financial crisis, but I finally found my way back here.

Always grateful for the "pre-season" training that the outstanding CCIW teams give my Maroons, who finished with a big win this year.

Gregory Sager

Pistol's back! And he starts off with a bang by taking a potshot at yours truly via a "preseason" jibe! :D

Good to have you back, you old Maroon, you! I sometimes wondered if I'd ever bump into you at a game at Ratner. Nice to see that you didn't fall off the face of the earth!
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pistol Pete

It was touch-and-go for a while there, Greg.  Distractions abounded, but the lure of D3hoops is irresistible.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: Pistol Pete on April 04, 2018, 02:04:00 PM
It was touch-and-go for a while there, Greg.  Distractions abounded, but the lure of D3hoops is irresistible.

I know the feeling. :)
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: petemcb on March 22, 2018, 09:53:05 AM
Quote from: AndOne on March 21, 2018, 01:02:30 PM
WHEATON RECRUIT

Brandon Orange, 6'7" Center from Timothy Christian
14.3 PPG
9.8 RPG
53% FG

I wonder if he'll bring "Cousin" Chrishawn with him. 🤔😉

Quote from: Pat Coleman on April 04, 2018, 12:24:46 PM

No better way to break 13 days of silence on this board! Welcome back. :)

That's gotta be a record for this board.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Pistol Pete

Greg, is Ann Sather's still open in Andersonville?

Their cinnamon rolls make the top 10 list of "Things I Miss About Chicago."

AndOne

Perhaps its because my glasses are tinted red, but I thought I'd post an article that I found interesting and thought others might as well.
Erwin Henry has been a mainstay of the North Central basketball program for the last four years. In this, his senior season, he unfortunately suffered a season ending injury which resulted in his being unable to play in NCC's last nine games. Although an All-Conference player and 1,000 point scorer his contributions have, at times, been overshadowed by other teammates. Nonetheless, his on court contributions are well known to both his competitors, and also to those fans who follow the CCIW on a regular basis. Off the court, Erwin, and I'm sure many other players, also makes a contribution as evidenced by the details of the following article. It has been my pleasure to know and watch E over the last four years. I'm fortunate to count myself as both a fan and friend. I hope you, as I did, find the article interesting. Seems like a good "giving back" story.

https://www.northcentralcardinals.com/news/2018/4/6/mens-basketball-henry-seeks-to-make-impact-in-cps-after-graduation.aspx?path=mbball

Gregory Sager

No, Pistol, there's still the original Ann Sather on Belmont, and a couple of others on the North Side, one in Edgewater and the other in Wrigleyville. But the one in Andersonville closed years ago.

But, yeah, Ann Sather still makes the best cinnamon rolls on the planet.

Quote from: AndOne on April 07, 2018, 01:56:02 PM
Perhaps its because my glasses are tinted red, but I thought I'd post an article that I found interesting and thought others might as well.
Erwin Henry has been a mainstay of the North Central basketball program for the last four years. In this, his senior season, he unfortunately suffered a season ending injury which resulted in his being unable to play in NCC's last nine games. Although an All-Conference player and 1,000 point scorer his contributions have, at times, been overshadowed by other teammates. Nonetheless, his on court contributions are well known to both his competitors, and also to those fans who follow the CCIW on a regular basis. Off the court, Erwin, and I'm sure many other players, also makes a contribution as evidenced by the details of the following article. It has been my pleasure to know and watch E over the last four years. I'm fortunate to count myself as both a fan and friend. I hope you, as I did, find the article interesting. Seems like a good "giving back" story.

https://www.northcentralcardinals.com/news/2018/4/6/mens-basketball-henry-seeks-to-make-impact-in-cps-after-graduation.aspx?path=mbball

Good article. I wish Erwin the best as he returns to the city in the hope of making a positive difference in the lives of young people.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pistol Pete

Too bad. Andersonville seemed like the right place for Ann Sather's.

There was even an Ann Sather's in Hyde Park a million years ago. My wife and I held our rehearsal dinner there.

At least Chicago is still the smelt fishing capital of the world.

Gregory Sager

Andersonville seems to be giving up on its attempt to cling to its historical Swedish identity. Not only is Ann Sather gone, but so is Erickson Jewelers and the Swedish Bakery. All that's left now is the Swedish-American Museum, Svea Restaurant, and Simon's Tavern -- the latter being the only bar left in the city where you can order glögg (which actually sounds like a good thing to drink today, considering that it's 34 degrees right now and the Cubs home opener has been postponed due to snow on the ground).

At least the Swedish-flag water tower is still there, after having been taken down in 2014 and restored.

The three remaining Ann Sather restaurants notwithstanding, though, if you really want a good Swedish meal (aside from the cinnamon rolls) the best place in the city is Tre Kronor, across the street from the North Park campus. It's where all of the Swedes who play for the Chicago Blackhawks have been eating for years whenever they feel the need to experience what they consider to be home cooking. Former Blackhawks defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson even brought the Stanley Cup to Tre Kronor one year after the Blackhawks had won it.

Pistol Pete

Thanks for the tip, Greg!  I don't know the place but will gladly try it the next time I'm in the area.  How do Swedes cook smelt?

Gregory Sager

Knowing Swedes, they probably don't. They'd can it and let it ferment into a foul-smelling semi-liquid, or they'd gelatinize it by curing it in lye for a winter.