FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunderdog

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 17, 2019, 11:49:18 AM
Why wouldn't he have four years of eligibility?

2017/2018 - red shirt
2018/2019 - red shirt Frosh @ Dayton (football) / red shirt Frosh @ Wheaton (basketball)
3 more years of eligibility

Gregory Sager

He still has four seasons of football eligibility remaining. The distinction here (and I didn't realize that he'd spent three semesters at Dayton; I thought that he entered college this past fall) is that his calendar is not favorable for getting in those four seasons. In D3 you get ten semesters as a full-time student within which to use up your four seasons of eligibility in any given sport. Anthony will now have six semesters of eligibility remaining when he checks into preseason camp this coming summer. That's not conducive to playing four seasons of football; he'd have to either forego school altogether or reduce his status to part-time for a couple of spring semesters over the next four school years. That can be tricky in terms of coursework, and it would extend his undergraduate education to six years, which a lot of people aren't willing to do. Plus, it would screw up his ability to play basketball.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Oline89

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 17, 2019, 01:28:51 PM
He still has four seasons of football eligibility remaining. The distinction here (and I didn't realize that he'd spent three semesters at Dayton; I thought that he entered college this past fall) is that his calendar is not favorable for getting in those four seasons. In D3 you get ten semesters as a full-time student within which to use up your four seasons of eligibility in any given sport. Anthony will now have six semesters of eligibility remaining when he checks into preseason camp this coming summer. That's not conducive to playing four seasons of football; he'd have to either forego school altogether or reduce his status to part-time for a couple of spring semesters over the next four school years. That can be tricky in terms of coursework, and it would extend his undergraduate education to six years, which a lot of people aren't willing to do. Plus, it would screw up his ability to play basketball.

I tried to find this on the NCAA site, but maybe you know the answer: When transferring from DI to DI, I think there is a way to play right away.  However, is it still the case that when going from DI to DIII the student athlete needs to sit out one year?

Gregory Sager

No, you've got it backwards. In the NCAA, tranferring from D3 to D1 (or to D2) requires you to sit out a year. That rule only holds true for the two money sports, football and men's basketball.

If you transfer from D1 to D3, you're immediately eligible, regardless of sport.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

Pat Coleman

... assuming you were eligible at the school you are transferring from.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

kiko

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 17, 2019, 03:28:50 PM
No, you've got it backwards. In the NCAA, tranferring from D3 to D1 (or to D2) requires you to sit out a year. That rule only holds true for the two money sports, football and men's basketball.

If you transfer from D1 to D3, you're immediately eligible, regardless of sport.

It's protection for D3 schools so that the scholie institutions can't easily wave their money around and poach the best D3 players.

Oline89

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 17, 2019, 03:28:50 PM

Thanks! That actually make some sense. 

GoIrish7

Kyle Rooker - new HC at North Park... coming from Carthage.

Hearing EC is down to 6.. interviews for them start this week. Hope they can have a HC in place by Feb 1 to make up for lost time on the road.

Caught up with both Wheaton and NCC staff recently. Both very happy with how recruiting is going. A few big names coming in at NCC to fill some voids. I think they are the team to beat at first glance. That being said Wheaton transfer QB has a high ceiling and is built nicely to run that offense.

Gregory Sager

Quote from: GoIrish7 on January 22, 2019, 03:30:37 PM

You must have a good inside source. NPU has yet to send out a press release, and Kyle Rooker hasn't announced it on Twitter.

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on January 22, 2019, 04:24:18 PM
Quote from: GoIrish7 on January 22, 2019, 03:30:37 PM

You must have a good inside source. NPU has yet to send out a press release, and Kyle Rooker hasn't announced it on Twitter.

I saw the same announcement on a different social media site.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

npbaseball40

North Park University has announced the hiring of head football coach Kyle Rooker:

https://athletics.northpark.edu/news/2019/1/22/athletic-department-north-park-university-announces-hiring-of-new-head-football-coach.aspx?prl=636837736604399569

Rooker has been the assistant head coach/offensive coordinator at Carthage College since 2012. He held a variety of positions at his previous stop, The College of Wooster, from 2001-2012, which is his alma mater.

Welcome aboard, Coach Rooker!

USee

GoIrish: nice scoop. Anytime you can report something before Sager it's a coup. You must be related to Rooker....

I like the hire. His profile around D3 and the turnaround at Carthage will serve him well and should create enthusiasm in the short term. Given the well documented obstacles for NPU, I hope Rooker can make lemonade there.

Gregory Sager

I don't know Kyle Rooker yet, but I already like the fact that he: a) doesn't waste any time; and b) understands the importance of social media to today's young people.  Last night he not only tweeted a link to npbaseball40's press release, he also tweeted his own thank-you, changed his Twitter profile, and even replaced his old banner picture with an overhead drone shot of Hedstrand Field.

His Twitter profile, incidentally, reads, "Christian, Father, Husband, Head Football Coach at North Park University," which is the order of precedence that the school was looking for. It may seem paradoxical, but if he is going to turn lemons into lemonade at NPU, to use USee's metaphor, it'll be in part because of that order of precedence. Parents want to know that their sons are under the guidance of a man who knows who and what he is and who understands priorities.

79jaybird

If Elmhurst chooses to use the hiring process the faculty use,  they would do phone interviews with 6 candidates of interest.  Then narrow it down to 3 to bring back for 2nd (or times 3rd) interviews, and the ultimate decision would be made from those 3 choices.   Either way,  get it done ASAP.   The more dilly-dallying and time wasted, allows (X recruit) to choose some other school.   :o
VOICE OF THE BLUEJAYS '01-'10
CCIW FOOTBALL CHAMPIONS 1978 1980 2012
CCIW BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS 2001
2022 BASKETBALL NATIONAL RUNNER UP
2018 CCIW PICK EM'S CHAMPION

Gregory Sager

Well, we'll see if it takes Elmhurst longer than it took NPU. Mike Conway resigned on December 6, and Kyle Rooker was hired on January 22. Granted, things have a tendency to grind to a halt for the two weeks that include Christmas and New Year's Day, but, even so, that's still four and a half weeks' worth of hiring process.

If GoIrish's post that announced it happened on the day that EC let Planz go, that means that the clock started ticking on January 2 for the hiring process.