Lacrosse

Started by drisclaw, July 03, 2011, 09:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The D1 semifinals (especially UNC v BC) has me fired up for tomorrow ...

Sadly, my expectations for Saturday's games may be too high. LOL

That said, next year should be outstanding having DIII and DI both at Hopkins!
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Vandy74

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on May 24, 2019, 10:31:43 PM
The D1 semifinals (especially UNC v BC) has me fired up for tomorrow ...

Sadly, my expectations for Saturday's games may be too high. LOL

That said, next year should be outstanding having DIII and DI both at Hopkins!

Dave,

A return of the championship rounds to Johns Hopkins sounds good for Middlebury.    That's where they played in 1999 and 2001 both times defeating Amherst for the national title.  As for tomorrow's/today's action it came so close to being an all-Nescac Final Four.  The official's dangerous shot ruling that nullified what would have been a go-ahead goal for the LJs with slightly less than a minute remaining was correct though and it was brilliant execution by Salisbury in those final seconds that resulted in the winning tally at :04.  I'm not sure what worries me more, and the Panthers have to beat Wesleyan first, a rematch with Tufts who have lost twice by a single goal to Middlebury already this season or facing the Seagulls again who will be looking to answer a regular season loss by an uncharacteristically large five tally margin.  Middlebury's win over Wesleyan in March was by a single goal.  Everyone comes in tomorrow with something to prove and it's personal.  I love this time of year!

MUC57

Vandy74

I will also follow the weekend's games as best I can. NESCAC certainly has tough teams. As you pointed out, 3 out of 4 in the semis. Seems this conference is good year in and year out.
Wish Mount Union could get a little farther into the playoffs. But then they would have to play a NESCAC team. Oops! Maybe some day. Good luck to all the teams. 🏆

And I also love this time of year. In fact, I enjoy the entire lacrosse season.  ;D

Now looking forward to football season as The Purple Raiders go for their 14th national championship. (Sorry, had to slip that one in.) 🏈
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

MUC57

Middlebury vs Salisbury for the national championship. Should be a good one. I'm talking women's lacrosse. Good luck to both teams.  ;D

middhoops

Vandy74, you are being humble.
Your encyclopedic knowledge of where WLax is now is epic.
Let 'er rip!

BTW, Dave's announcing today was under rated by any standard.  Too bad more people don't appreciate lacrosse.  Dave McHugh entertains and informs as well as any announcer in any sport.  IMHO*.

*A sign of respect to my friend amh63.  I don't do acronyms.

Vandy74

The women's semifinal contests weren't as closely contested as I expected they'd be, but as Dave and Monica pointed out experience counts this time of year and the veterans of Final Four competition prevailed.  Prior to the 2017 season Wesleyan had a 32-117 record in conference play.  In 2009 Tufts won the only regular season NESCAC title not owned by either Middlebury or Trinity, but other than that campaign had never won more than 6 conference games before the 2018 season.  Middlebury beat Salisbury earlier this season but as competitors over the past 15 seasons or so the Seagull have dominated the series.  What happened in March means nothing tomorrow.  Go Panthers!

Good luck to the Amherst men against Cabrini in tomorrow's championship game.

Something happened in this season's earlier tournament rounds that needs to be recognized for what it is, good news for the DIII women's game.  The field of eight can still be penciled in before the season even begins but six unranked teams in this season's bracket showed they came to play and aren't just happy to be here.  Illinois Wesleyan, out of the CCIW, ended their season with a  19-7 defeat at the hands of #5 Franklin & Marshall.  Denison, from the NCAC, closed out their season losing to #1 Gettysburg 14-3.  Denison played a killer out-of-conference schedule which included a 14-4 opening game loss to the Bullets.  Only #2 Washington & Lee and #5 Franklin & Marshall held Gettysburg to under 15 tallies this season.  Denison did it twice.  Unheralded Misericordia, representing the MAC Freedom, lost their final game to #6 York by a 17-8 tally.  Meredith, who also played a very tough non-conference schedule, lost 13-10 at the hands of #20 Ithaca.  Mount Union lost to #10 Catholic by a 16-6 margin.  Claremont-Mudd-Scripps fell to #12 Amherst 14-8 and stayed close well into the second half.   Then there's Colorado College, who earned a #19 ranking in the final poll of the regular season.   They were defeated 18-8 by #7 Salisbury.  The Tigers tend to get more respect in the rankings than other teams west of the Allegheny's.  They've had some past success in tournament play.  In 2005 they lost to Salisbury 15-11 in the semifinals.  They seemed to regress for a few seasons beginning in 2008, playing a less competitive schedule, but have been making the effort to return to form lately.  These teams should continue to improve over the next few years and hopefully inspire some in-conference rivals to do the same. 

Best of luck to Middlebury and Amherst tomorrow.

amh63

Watched Amherst's graduation today as it is broadcast live to all.  Saluted the senior football, basketball players  and others that I got to meet these past 4 years.
The senior lax players are in Philly with their teammates.  Good luck to both of the conference teams today!

MUC57

Amherst loses, Middebury wins. 1 out of 2 isn't bad. Hooray for the NESCAC.
And now, let's wait for football.  ;D

Vandy74

Middlebury HC Kate Livesay has an interesting lacrosse resume.  She's played on two national champions as a Middlebury Panther.  She's led Middlebury to two national championships as the head coach.  She has also coached Trinity to a title and, as the Panther mentor, beaten Trinity for the title.  Today, as the winning coach against Salisbury's Jim Nestor, she evened the record to 2-2.  It was Salisbury that Trinity defeated for the championship in 2012.  The Seagulls won it all in 2013 and 2014, both times against Trinity and Livesay.   

Anyone reading this board now saw the game today.  Middlebury got off to a fast start taking a six goal lead.   Salisbury found their rhythm in the closing minutes of the first half and halfway though the second the margin had been cut to two.  The Panthers slowly took back the momentum and won 14-9.  A good game.  Two very good teams.  A great season for the Middlebury Panthers.  Thanks again to Dave and Monika for their entertaining and informative commentary.  It was the icing on the cake.

I tuned in to the DIII men's action when the score was tied at nine apiece.  Sadly, for the LJs that was as good as it was going to get.  Still, advancing to the final game is something only two teams can do each season and having beaten Williams to get there is a memory that will always bring a smile to Amherst faces.  Tell me I'm wrong, amh63. :D

mailsy

Cabrini University is the 2019 National Champion!!
First time in school history that we have any team win a championship. The school came close in 2012. Congrats to Coach Colfer and the boys!

GO CAVS!!!
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

MUC57

mailsy

Congrats to your Cavs! That 's JUST great. We have all the NESCAC  teams to worry about plus all the other "east teams". Now we have to watch out for Cabrini.  :-[

Do you all play football?  ;D

mailsy

Quote from: MUC57 on May 27, 2019, 12:36:15 PM
mailsy

Congrats to your Cavs! That 's JUST great. We have all the NESCAC  teams to worry about plus all the other "east teams". Now we have to watch out for Cabrini.  :-[

Do you all play football?  ;D

Thanks! It was a great feeling watching that clock go down to 0:00. It just seemed to take way to long to get there.

And regarding your football question.

Futbol? Yes. Football? No.  ;D
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

MUC57

mailsy

Fair enough. At the risk of sounding arrogant, you don't really want to play Mount Union in football anyway! But good luck to your lacrosse team next year.  ;D

amh63

Vandy74.....yes, getting to the lacrosse finals in Philly was great.  By winning the "little three" sweep to get there is "sweet" ,to use a present generation term.  Beating Williams....a school that produces great athletic teams....again does brings a smile to my face ;D
The Spring sports for Amherst are done.  Great potential for next year in both men's and women's lacrosse.  Expect fine teams in Amherst's Fall and Winter Sports....again :).

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: MUC57 on May 28, 2019, 10:28:30 AM

mailsy

Fair enough. At the risk of sounding arrogant, you don't really want to play Mount Union in football anyway! But good luck to your lacrosse team next year.  ;D

For argument's sake ... if the NESCAC president's ever decided to release the NCAA Tournament moratorium on football (which I think they should; their reasoning is hypocritical), I think the balance of football power would change and slant more east-ward. NESCAC teams are pretty good right now ... imagine adding "we play for national championships" to the recruiting conversation. The NESCAC has shown how to be very good in a lot of sports ... I think football would no longer be Mount Union's, UMHB's, Whitewater's, etc. to dominate.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.