World Cup and European leagues

Started by Jim Matson, June 11, 2006, 12:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Old School on July 11, 2006, 09:04:11 PM
Klinsmann steps down as Germany coach...

To the US?

After the unexpected success, I doubt he would resign without a new job lined up.

Whether or not that new job is here, I don't know (but he is a Californian, so it seems a likely guess).

Stinger

Just read that about Klinsmann.  Im sure the process will get started soon. I'd like to see the US get into more competitions, like the Gold Cup.  They just can't depend on friendlies and qualifiers to get them prepared.

I read Cannavaro is close to reaching a deal with Real Madrid.  C. Ronaldo and Cannavaro, my two least favorite players from Germany '06.  At least with Capello they may able to snag a couple more players from the Serie A.

Any of you looking at the MLS all-star game in Chicago's new stadium?  Chelsea will be coming to town, and it will be interesting to see which of their superstars will have recovered to make the trip.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

Hoosier Titan

The terminology question is interesting.  I usually try to use the terms the Brits use because I follow the English Premier League, and it's easier in conversation.  But sometimes out of context I forget.   

I don't know that the English terms are any more "correct" than those of any other language, but a lot of English-speaking football supporters use them. 

Interestingly, "nil" is one of the terms my entire family have gotten used to; last fall my daughter used it to describe the score of an American football game. :)
You'll never walk alone.

Greek Tragedy

Quote from: stinger on July 11, 2006, 09:19:16 PM
Just read that about Klinsmann.  Im sure the process will get started soon. I'd like to see the US get into more competitions, like the Gold Cup.  They just can't depend on friendlies and qualifiers to get them prepared.

I read Cannavaro is close to reaching a deal with Real Madrid.  C. Ronaldo and Cannavaro, my two least favorite players from Germany '06.  At least with Capello they may able to snag a couple more players from the Serie A.

Any of you looking at the MLS all-star game in Chicago's new stadium?  Chelsea will be coming to town, and it will be interesting to see which of their superstars will have recovered to make the trip.

Don't they always play in the Gold Cup?

Why don't you like Canavarro?

I looked into getting tix for the All-Star game, but at the time, I had to buy a four pack (three other games or something like that).  I don't if "single game" tix are available...I also doubt that any player that participated in the knock out stages of the WC would be included in the Chelsea lineup.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Yeah, I think the US gets into whatever tournaments they qualify for.  It's not like there are invitationals out there.

Klinsmann says he's burned out, but I can imagine much less stress coaching US football.  He doesn't have to fly ten hours each way to get to practice and he really needs to be scouting our young guys in MLS anyway.  He did really well at the Cup with a very young team, leaving off five veterans.  He's a great fit.

The new President of Real said hee had private talks with several players before he was elected, but now he has to deal with their clubs to actually get them.  He talked about C Ronaldo, Kaka and a few others I'm forgetting now.

Most likely with punative relegation, the entire Juventus roster will be essentially free agents; it could make for one fun summer.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I don't think too many of the Chelsea stars who made the Quarters of the World Cup will be there.  I remember Man U's last big US tour and the big names only played one match each and rarely with each other.

You'll probably see a lot of young guys and new signings at the match.  Mikel from Norway (I think), is a young guy with a lot of talent.  I'd like to see him play.

ScotsFan

Quote from: stinger on July 11, 2006, 09:19:16 PM
I read Cannavaro is close to reaching a deal with Real Madrid.  C. Ronaldo and Cannavaro, my two least favorite players from Germany '06. 

I can agree with you about CRon, but why your dislike of Cannavaro?  It's hard to argue, IMHO, that he's the best defender out there right now.  And I didn't see anything in his play that would lead me to think he is a dirty player.  Just wondering what Cannavaro did to get in your doghouse?

Greek Tragedy

If anyone is in the area, single game tickets are available for the MLS all-star game in Chicago.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

Stinger

.  Just wondering what Cannavaro did to get in your doghouse?
[

All based on the US game. On two seperate occasions he fell to the ground in "pain" as the US team was making a counter attack. Both times the US kicked it out and had to start over.  I thought it was bush.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.

Nigel Powers - Goldmember

ScotsFan

Can't say I recall those incidents you refer to with Cannavaro, but then again, I was so enfuriated with the ref in that contest that I could have overlooked Cannavaro's actions.  I will say,  if you want to talk bush, the Ghanaians were falling like timber in the 2nd half of the US game and the US would oblige and kick it out every time.  Faking injuries to eat clock and preserve your lead is bush.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: ScotsFan on July 13, 2006, 08:36:05 AM
Can't say I recall those incidents you refer to with Cannavaro, but then again, I was so enfuriated with the ref in that contest that I could have overlooked Cannavaro's actions.  I will say,  if you want to talk bush, the Ghanaians were falling like timber in the 2nd half of the US game and the US would oblige and kick it out every time.  Faking injuries to eat clock and preserve your lead is bush.

Yeah, but sucking it up and playing the ball out despite the obvious dives and time wasting earned our guys a lot of respect.  You see even some of the big Euro squads that get annoyed and stop doing it.  So long as we keep our sportsmanlike attitudes on the pitch, even when the other team doesn't deserve it, we'll keep building the respect we need to succeed.

DC United 4-0 Celtic in DC and Celtic played at about 80% strength.  Not a bad result.

Josh Bowerman

Bruce Arena is officially out as US Team coach.  Let the speculation on his replacement officially begin!

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=373876&cc=5901

"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

gobombers15

I don't think there will be much speculation considering this announcement comes on the heels of Klinsmann walking away from Germany. Hmmm, let's see here, Klinsmann lives in Southern California, Team USA does a lot of their practicing there, he just led Germany to a 3rd place finish, and this has been talked about for weeks. The writing is on the wall.

I look forward to seeing what Klinsmann brings to the U.S. team. The team should be a lot more innovative and creative with their attack. I mean, the guy made Germany fun to watch. The US needs it, too, they looked like a high school trying to attack.
A 2004 graduate of the "almighty legendary" Ithaca College. Goooooo Bombers.

Josh Bowerman

I hope that we can get a coach the calibre of Klinsmann, I'm just not convinced that it will happen.  It would be nice to be proven wrong on this front, though.

ESPN's website has some interesting scenarios--Klinsmann being one.  My guess is that it will be either Carlos Queiroz or Frank Yallop, but it will be interesting to see what happens.
"Without struggle, there is no progress."--Frederick Douglass

CRZK

Went to the espn website and reviewed some of the recent stories from Canales.  Found them to be quite interesting.  Don't know much about the other two guys (Queiroz or Yallop) but liked what I read about Klinsmann.

With the lack of goal scoring and attacking soccer in much of the World Cup it would seem that the US needs a coach with an attacking mentality.  The cautious type of play that we exhibted along with other folks packing the back line and midfield created boring low risk soccer and resulted in situations when a team went down by a goal an inability to get back into the game.  Reminds me of several years ago when China packed the box against the US Women.  So, it would seem the powers that be should take a different approach like that which Klinsmann seems to offer.

By the way watched Landon play against KC a couple of weeks ago.  I have to say I was not impressed.  He did score off a great cross but other than that did not seem to be able to take charge of the game and make things happen.  Jet lag and tired--maybe?