NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nescac1

HUGE news in NESCAC soccer as Coach Russo announces he will be retiring following the 2014 season.  I'm fairly confident that he will go down as the best coach in NESCAC soccer history ... what an incredible legacy, and a class act through and through to boot.  The 2014 Ephs have a lot of talent returning, coming off a Final Four run with GK being the only major question mark, and posting strong results in Russo's last year as a coach will surely motivate them in the offseason. 

Coach Russo will be a very tough act to follow at Williams.  I am sure there will be many top-notch candidates for the job, including members of the Russo coaching tree like Erin Sullivan (likely the odds-on favorite) and Dan Calichman. 

LaPaz

Interesting news indeed. 2 Final fours in a row but knowing Russo I think he will be most disappointed with not winning a couple more NCAA championships. Those Jamaican teams in the beginning part of this decade were so damn talented. Whoever takes over in 2015 is getting one talented senior class. Rashid, Westling, Gruman, Ritter, etc.  It will be real disappointing because they are one of the few teams left that actually "play" soccer...i.e. Messiah, St.Lawrence. I doubt whatever coach takes over is going to continue this trend, especially the way Nescac has been trending.

LaPaz

Since we are on the topic of Russo's retirement, I wanted to look at all the coaching changes in the last decade in Nescac and give them a grade. What was once a league in the late 70's,80's and 90's of consistency and less pressure and focus on winning in general has turned into a pressure packed league with parents and even alums getting into the Athletic Director's ear about not getting results.  Coaches lasted decades and could even go a decade under .500 and not worry about it too much. Recruiting was non-existent and it was a very secure job. In 1993, when the NCAA tournament ban was lifted this changed everything. You could even argue Russo and Williams aslo helped change the culture in the 80's as he started recruiting and sneaking players away from some of the Ivies (i.e Calichman-who was headed to Dartmouth). I am by no means saying Nescac was different than any other D1,D2 or D3 league. Some Ivies in the 80's were still not recruiting and you had D1 teams still scheduling D3 teams until they finally realized it was a no win situation. You are supposed to win and if you lost it looked real bad. Middlebury would beat UVM, Williams would beat Dartmouth, Tufts and Brandeis would give Harvard a game and even Wesleyan would play Yale.  NO pressure until the late 80's and early 90's. Anyway, I am going off topic and we could talk about this another time. Let's look at the coaching changes and if it was warranted and if the replacement has improved the program to date.

Amherst-Peter Gooding / Milton Gooding replaced by Justin Serpone in 2007. Peter Gooding was a legend and did so much for the game, was even the NSCAA President in the 90's. He was retiring in 2006 and wanted to hand the job to his son Milton who had been there about a decade coaching with him. For whatever reason, the new AD or President wasn't having it. Milton was an exceptional recruiter as he got a lot of talent to Amherst which in my opinion is half the job. However, for whatever reason they were not as consistent as they are now and not nearly as organized. Serpone has turned this program into a consistent winner and a dominant powerhouse year in and year out. He has rubbed some people the wrong way with his methods but you cannot argue the results or the hire.           A-

Bates-George Purgavie replaced by Stewart Flaherty in 2012. Purgavie had been there some 30 years with some decent teams and some bad ones. A solid coach and sneaky tactician, who seemed to really care about his players. His best years were 2002-2007 as he had some top of the league talent and results. This school is the toughest school to recruit to in Nescac for a number of reasons that is another story for another time. He was forced out in 2012 after a 0-10 Nescac record and bumped up to a director of coaching or overseer of both men's and women's soccer. A nice demotion for a nice guy who had been at the school for 30 years. It was time for a change no doubt as he looked a bit dis-interested in the end. Rumors were that Flaherty had gone behind Purgavie's back as his assistant to the AD and threw him under the bus. Whatever the truth is he got the AD's attention and ended up getting the job. I think Bates has never had less talent on its roster as it did last year. They had no weapons up front and looked dysfunctional on offense. In fairness to Flaherty, Purgavie left the cupboard dry but I think the AD would have been better served to hire a young gun assistant to really turn the program around and recruit and motivate...i.e Shapiro at Tufts. No offense to Flaherty but he looks lost in this league. I will give him another year or 2 to put his stamp on the program but for now Flaherty gets a D.           D

Bowdoin-Fran O'Leary replaced by Scott Wiercinski in 2013. O'Leary left for Toronto FC which is looking like a better move by the day and was replaced by Wiercinski. In 2005, when Ainscough was forced out and he went to Northeastern, Wiercinski was being considered for the job but O'Leary came out of nowhere from George Mason and decided he wanted back in D3. He knew the AD from Kenyon or something like that and they hired him in August of 2005 leaving Wiercinski wondering what the hell happened. He eventually got the U Chicago job. Fran was extremely organized defensively and in shape and it showed in 2010 with their NCAA final four team and if not for a late goal they could have won the whole thing. If Middlebury is recruiting, Bowdoin usually gets their scraps. Midd and Bowdoin will always get the best athletes in Nescac. They will feed off of Williams and Amherst scraps. Kids love Bowdoin's facilities and the town and the proximity to Boston. I have no opinion really of the new coach as he needs time but he is the PERFECT example of what Bates and Colby should have done, and what Tufts and Bowdoin did do; Former player in Nescac, D1 or D3 assistant or head coach, young fit and energetic. Basically he has a great understanding of the league and its players and its requirements.    B

Colby-Mark Serdjenian replaced by Ewan Seabrook in 2014. The longest tenured coach in Nescac was basically forced out after an 0-10 league record. Serdjenian was an all around great guy and coach. It is hard to recruit to Colby as you have to get in your car and drive everywhere from the middle of Maine to see kids and I do not think Serdjenian was a good recruiter. It's  a young man's job and this is the clearest example. Like Purgavie at Bates, Serdjenian was kept in the Athletic department until I assume he retires. Seabrook has no Nescac experience and is from across the pond. He comes from UNH as a top assistant. Time will tell    B-

Connecticut College-Bill Lessig replaced by Kenny Murphy in 2009. Murphy came from Brown as Noonan's top assistant and immediately lit a fire under Conn's players asses. Lessig should have been long gone by now as he was buying time. Another example of the old school Nescac coach who never recruited and made do with what he had. Lessig had a couple good teams in the early 90's but nothing else really to show for a long career. Murphy quickly learned that besides Trinity, Conn can get anyone in thru admissions for a Nescac school. He is a great recruiter and works his ass off recruiting. He gets results and is a good coach. The question now is can he bring this team to the next level and get them into a NCAA berth or a Nescac Final Four.      B+

Tufts-Ralph Ferrigno replaced by Josh Shapiro in 2010.  Ferrigno was the most aloof Nescac coach. His peers barely knew him. He had some great teams in the mid-90's and Tufts had a magical 1994 NCAA run where they hosted Johns Hopkins in front of 3,000 screaming fans. Somewhere along the line Ferrigno lost interest in his team, instead trying to focus on his camps which were making him pretty good money. Eventually, Tufts lost interest in him and canned him after 15 years.  If Tufts can be dominant in and win NCAA championships in LAX, there is no reason why Men's Soccer cannot do the same. Tufts is a great school, largest undergrads, Boston location, etc etc. It just needed some youthful energy and got it with Shapiro. Played at Midd, D1 assitant under Weise at Georgetown, paid his dues and has done an incredible job of recruiting and turning this team around. Ferrigno left him a bag of balls and some JV players. In four years he has gotten Tufts back in the NCAA's, has some of the best talent in Nescac(whether they gel is another story), and has brought life to this dormant program.  A

Hot Seat-Perry Nizzi-Hamilton

All NESCAC

Great summary LaPaz on the coaching changes....don't disagree with anything said.  Looking forward to the coming 2014 season.  Any scuttlebutt regarding impact frosh recruits heading to NESCAC for this fall?

Midwestrecruiter

How can Serpone receive A- and Shapiro A...?

PaulNewman

I agree LaPaz, great review.

A little off topic but speaking of long-term guys who not only have survived but done quite well recently (in addition to Russo) in this area, Coven at Brandeis comes to mind.  I know they had some great teams years ago and then maybe some so-so years for a long stretch, but certainly Brandeis has had a resurgence and he has been recruiting extremely well and getting a lot of local talent.  Brandeis is bringing in another big class for the Fall.  Will be interesting to see if they can get past the Sweet 16 where Williams has prevailed 2 years in a row.

PaulNewman

The other thing that seems a little disappointing with Bates and especially Colby is that you would assume that those long-term coaches had earned quite a bit of pull with admissions if they wanted to use it.  I agree that although on the same academic plane (and despite Colby being even further away) Bates is probably a tougher sell.  Not sure why that is other than Lewiston, but Colby has been a very hot school and one would think Colby could have recruited better.

LaPaz

Coven was going to be fired about 5 years ago, after years of inept play. His peers came to his defense by calling the AD and alums chimed in. I think they gave him 2 years to figure it out and gave him a full time assistant. Gabe Margolis the assistant has been there for about 10 years and has done most of his recruiting and has been waiting for him to retire to take over. I do not think he is ready to give it up yet

All NESCAC

If Coven was on the hot seat 5 years ago, then he certainly turned it around because he has had some very good teams the last 4 years and brought in some very good players.  He and Margolis do a very good job over at Brandeis and have kept a lot of Massachusetts soccer talent in Waltham.

LaPaz

amh63

Corazon....welcome aboard.  Interesting and perceptive post, IMO.  I'm not a frequent poster on this board...more so on other sports boards.  Do read the post here since I am a fan of Spencer Noon, a recent graduate of Amherst and the last First Team All American player.  Saw him as a freshman and became friends with his parents over the years.  Connection was due to his basketball skills!  Played on the BB team for several years but injuries from soccer limited him on the hardwood...especially since the BB team was a Final 4 contender during his Amherst years.  The Nescac is a place where a student can play multi-sports.  Noon was all state in both BB and soccer and his father was an All-American BB player at the U. Of Hartford.
I suggest that you check out the Amherst website...soccer site...if you want to get another view of Amherst soccer and the head coach.  In particular, the blog of the team's trip to Europe recently.  Also there is a story of last year's team trip to the NJ to visit the professional team.
Good luck and "good hunting" to you. And your son. :)

SoccerFollower

Anyone have predictions for the coming season?

Mine goes:
1. Williams
2. Amherst
3. Conn College
4. Middlebury
5. Trinity
6. Tufts
7. Wesleyan
8. Bowdoin
9. Hamilton
10. Colby
11. Bates

I think Conn and Middlebury are up and coming, but are going to be no match for Williams-Amherst. I have Williams winning regular season mostly because it's Russo's last season. Thoughts? Discussion?

frank uible

Mike Russo deserves to go out in style, but irrespective of outcome he has been a magnificent coach.

All NESCAC

Quote from: SoccerFollower on July 09, 2014, 01:53:36 PM
Anyone have predictions for the coming season?

Mine goes:
1. Williams
2. Amherst
3. Conn College
4. Middlebury
5. Trinity
6. Tufts
7. Wesleyan
8. Bowdoin
9. Hamilton
10. Colby
11. Bates

I think Conn and Middlebury are up and coming, but are going to be no match for Williams-Amherst. I have Williams winning regular season mostly because it's Russo's last season. Thoughts? Discussion?

Can't argue with putting Williams #1,  especially with the returning players (healthy forwards) for Williams, the last 2 Final 4 runs, and the "let's win it for Russo" effect.  Amherst #2 or #1B given how they have reload every year and dominate and their new frosh talent.  After that Conn, Middlebury, Tufts, Wesleyan mix in 2nd tier in any combination based upon returning personnel, then the rest in Tier 3.  Spots #3 through #6 will all probably be health driven....whoever is healthier for the bulk of season will finish higher.   Until someone comes along and knocks Williams and Amherst off their perch it's hard to argue against ranking them #1A and #1B.  Looking forward to this upcoming season.  I expect 4 NESCAC teams to make the NCAA's this Fall.

LaPaz

1. Amherst- Jae Heo back and Rico plus a 10 day pre-season trip. Toughest schedule to start season. They get thru that and they are set.
2. Williams- talent is there, loads of seniors but lets remember Russo is a lame duck and most kids these days do not care. There are a couple bad seeds on this team that if not playing could ruin a good year. This team will be worth watching.
3. Wesleyan- They have now lifted SAT scores from requirements to get more athletes in(see Bowdoin). They have a decent frosh class and Wheeler always gets it done defensively. Toughest non-league schedule
4. Tufts- Maybe most talented group of seniors but there is def some issues inside this locker room. Another team to watch. Easiest schedule to start the year.
5. Midd- Athletic and talented and always organized but who is scoring goals aganist good teams?
6. Conn- see MIDD, without Hawkey I see no goalscoring agnist the better teams
7.Bowdoin- Will compete but without Brewster they will lack a toughness and struggle
8,9,10,11- Bates is just awful, Colby trying to re-build will be awful, Hamilton had some great results last year but lose alot of players and Trinty is your never ending roller coaster of wins and losses. Trinity will get some great results and are always dangerous on set pieces but then they will lose games mid-week that are mind boggling.