NESCAC

Started by LaPaz, September 11, 2011, 05:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GarbageGoals33

The combativeness on this MB is borderline hilarious.  Too much Jersey Shore for you folks...

http://inthecac.wordpress.com/stuff-nescac-kids-like/

Deuce

I'm going to reiterate my point in a civilized way. I am not trying to say that Serpone is not a good coach. That's not true. He's a tremendous coach, and has proved that with his track record since taking over.

As discussed, the manner in which they go about winning ( NOT TALKING ABOUT STYLE OF PLAY ), is unacceptable. The antics that go on with that program, starting from the bench through the players and back to the coach, are, BY ALL ACCOUNTS, despicable.

You've heard about the SLU incident from two separate players who were there at the time. Whether or not you want to believe it, it happened. The fans heckled, and the players took unacceptable actions towards spectators following the match.

Last year, we beat WNEU in OT at their field in front of a sizable crowd in the 2nd round. Did you see our players sprint straight towards their student section and throw the ball into them? Did you see me spit on their fans? No. We all followed the goal scorer to the corner and celebrated our victory as a team. The way you should. Now, let's put that to rest.

The point is that this was not an isolated incident, as noted by the several other posters on this thread. While in HS, I watched my cousin and his Bates side get knocked out of the NESCAC playoffs by Serpone's squad. I'm assuming most of you played college ball, and I'm also going to assume most of you did not win 4 straight NCAA titles, and have thus been knocked out at some point or another. It's the worst feeling you'll ever experience. Most of the time, players and coaches are gracious towards one another, recognizing the despair.

Not Serpone. I watched him run onto the field and flip off the entire Bates bench as he did so. Way to set an example, right?

I guess my true concern is for Amherst College. How can this go unpunished?

soccer121285

Deuce, I went back and checked because Bates hasn't made the playoffs in a bit and Amherst hasn't played in the NESCAC playoffs since Serpone has been the coach.  Maybe you are getting the teams confused that your cousin played for? Or maybe you're just vindictive???

All I know is when the Amherst coach played Colby this year he stabbed seven people, stole eight thousand dollars from the concession stand and then after they won 1-0, spit on the referees and scorekeepers.  What silliness. 

LaPaz, as for me being an idiot...I'd much rather have my son or any of his teammates play at Colby than to play at a place that has fans like you. All of my interactions with Williams people have been favorable up until this point.   I started on this board because I liked reading about the soccer in the league.  Now I just read you berate people that share different opinions from yourself.

Whether or not you care to admit it, Colby has outplayed Williams two times in a row.  Last year we outshot them 8-7 AT WILLIAMS, after a lousy PK call early in the game.  Oh, and in that game there was an awful foul by one of the Williams plays that could have broken a leg that resulted in a red card.   

CAC Attack

Just felt compelled...

Raised huge amounts of money and spread awareness for those who suffer from pedriatic cancer:
https://www.amherst.edu/athletics/misc/2009_10/1216_commservice

Stresses that academics come first to all of his players:
https://www.amherst.edu/athletics/teams/fall/soccer-m/articles/2009/1211_nscaa

Pretty decent success on the field too:
http://nescac.com/sports/msoc/2012-13/championship/release

Just relax.

Good luck to all in the NCAA tournament.

LaPaz

soccer121285-I realize you are trying to instigate me and trying to get me kicked off this site....I HAVE NO ALLEGIANCE TO WILLIAMS, as far as your constant Colby v Williams arguments...check ur facts ...since 2000 Williams is 12-0-1 aganist Colby with a 43-1 goal differential. That was easily looked up on the Williams website..YOU HAVE NO ARGUMENT HERE ....Colby is lucky to be playing past Oct 25th ever year...I have praised them for the way they tried to play this year albeiet unsuccessfully and there coach is a class act.

Saint of Old

Look, competition brngs out the best and the worst in all of us.
Deuce, I was at the WNEC game as well (we ran out of there with that one, great game great squad BTW).
I was also there 12 years ago. I have seen the sweetest kid (on the field and off) corvertly punch an opposing player, after seeing him rough up his freshman:)
This is the game we love, and passion goes both ways. Now, we all have our opinion of certain coaches, but lets agree that all us has beens can be annanommous( unless one has  a keen eye and memory), Coaches however, cannot be, and this is the internet where ones reputation can take a hit.
I say we say something nice, or nothing at all.
Or atleast say it in a way that shows some tact.

Amherst is a great squad, obviously coached quite well!!!
They must take the crown to truly join the ranks of the elite however.

Good luck to all  big squads and Cinderellas out there.

The slipper might yet fit in 2012...

nescacsoccer

Like a Saint from above, delivering a bit of sanity

ECSUalum

Congratulations to the St Lawrence Saints on their 2-1 2OT victory over the ECSU Warriors.  Complete domination and well deserved.
A painful game to watch!!!! from 15min in, we could not to keep ball posession and collapsed into a defense that could not hold the lead!!! ::)
Also congrats to Williams College Ephs, should be a great game tomorrow.

soccitome

There's a saying "my mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts."  At the risk of confusing the posters who have slammed Amherst, I joined the Board yesterday only to inject some facts into the discussion.  This is my first and last post

Fact No. 1 -- Amherst was tied for 5th in yellow cards in the NESCAC this season; tied for 7th (with 4 other teams) in 2011; and tied for 6th in 2010.  In other words, over the past 3 years, Amherst has been in the lower half of the conference in yellow cards.

Fact No. 2 -- Until Justin Serpone, there has never been a NESCAC coach that was not named Coach-of-the-Year when his team both won the league regular season (outright last year) and the league tournament.

Fact No. 3 – In Serpone's first year, he started at Amherst a "Friends of Jaclyn Foundation" program that is designed "to improve the quality of life for children with [malignant] pediatric brain tumors and their families by pairing them with college and high school athletic teams."  His team "adopted" a 7 year-old boy who with a life-threatening brain tumor.  Now in remission, he remains an integral part of the team.  For some games, he sits in the bench and is part of team huddles.  At least four other Amherst teams have now adopted a Friends of Jaclyn child, and the entire athletics department holds an annual race walk – initially organized and staffed by Serpone and his players -- that has drawn more than 1,000 people and raised over $15,000 for the Foundation.  As Serpone says, "[the team's "adoptee"] gets the love and support of an entire team and my guys get the opportunity to grow as adults."  No other NESCAC team participates in Friends of Jaclyn, although the program has spread to over 300 schools. 

Fact No. 4 -- Amherst soccer perennially has more NESCAC All-Academic Team members than any other team.  In 2011, 14 players were on the league All-Academic squad compared to 5 for Williams.  Remarkably, 10 of Amherst's 14 were starters.

Fact No. 5 – Amherst soccer is the only NESCAC team to place 2 players (both starters) on the 2012 Capital One All-Academic First District Team (Division III).  There are only 12 players chosen in each of 8 districts.  Trinity, Tufts, and Wesleyan had a player on a District team.  In 2011, Amherst had 4 players (all starters) of the 12 named to the District team, more than any other Division III school in the country. 

Fact No. 6 -- Players in every sport (no matter the level) become heated in competition, and act in a way that he or she ultimately regrets.  None of the Amherst slammers has ever spoken with a player a day (or even an hour) after some stupid show of emotion. 

Fact No. 7 -- Deuce calls the Amherst program "despicable."  What's way beyond despicable are fans who call a German keeper "Kraut" and a center back with a common Jewish surname "Jew."  And it's disgusting to taunt these players with statements like "how's it feel for a Kraut and a Jew to play so close to one another?"  (I was at the St. Lawrence game). 

Based on the facts, it Amherst is an exemplary program for others to replicate, not revile.

Sandy

I think the discussion has been exhausted soccitome. Party is over. I'm tired of talking about it. I'm sorry I fueled the fire even. Yes, Serpone has done some great things off the field, we get it. I have heard this from others and I believe it to be true. Regardless of his success on and off the field though, he sometimes just behaves poorly as a coach in ways that are unbecoming of someone in his position. That's it in a nutshell really...

So let's talk about soccer.

Was anyone at the Williams game today? I managed to catch the second half and it seemed Thomas was playing pretty well against them up until they tied it up and even a little afterwards. Their #19 was running through the Williams defense with ease at times it seemed. They could have gone up 2-1 even if it weren't for a poor phantom call by the referee. From what I saw Williams's midfield and forwards are their strength, and it showed as the game progressed. They took control of the game and should have had 1-2 more goals if it weren't for Thomas's keeper. Williams does have good size in the back, but it seems, at least their left back, can be exploited with speed, as a few of the faster Thomas players had their way with him at times.

soccitome

It's not just Serpone, but the Amherst players were widely impugned.  "Dirty," despicable," "outrageous" were just some of the adjectives.  I'm pleased the facts finally exhausted the discussion, which is so often the case.     

Sandy

I meant that it was exhausted before you gave us your list, as the discussion was going nowhere fast.

Centennial1

I have been a long time lurker here and have had no intentions of posting, but this topic motivated me to beat this pretty dead horse--so apologies to the thread--but I must opine. I coached at all levels of soccer, including a decade at D3, and never did I see behavior like that of the Amherst coach. I watched him with amazement over a couple of matches, and was saddened to see a coach modelling his berzerk antics to student athletes. I won't bother to detail what I saw, but it has colored my opinion of Amherst College.

madzillagd

Quote from: soccitome on November 10, 2012, 11:11:39 PM
I'm pleased the facts finally exhausted the discussion, which is so often the case.   

Your 'fact' list didn't shut things down, just the realization that the Amherst contingent defending Serpone is a lost cause and people aren't going to bother anymore did.  Just the same as people stopped bothering with the Indiana-Bobby Knight apologists and the PSU-Paterno apologists.  The ends never justify the means.

Fact #1:  In your first post you stated: "This is my first and last post."

Fact #2: The quote above was taken from your 2nd post - a post that you specifically stated would never exist.

Fact #3: If you respond to this post it will be your 3rd post, and ironically will now become your last post.

Fact #4:  I'm starting to like making these little Fact lists. 

Jim Matson

Wow, enough on the subject! This conference is better than the direction this thread is going.... ;)
Managing Editor, D3soccer.com