MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hopefan

Quote from: haterinthehouse on September 16, 2016, 11:18:07 AM
hearing BC is going to be ready to start the season. early morning team weight lifting, individual workouts during the day, and court time at night. good to see them working so hard in the offseason. surprised they didnt work this hard with other coaches in the off season. cant wait to see them play this year. they will be ready to go for sure

Hater... a positive statement from you!!??   Great to see!!!  If BC added a little depth, they'll be able to compete..... I like Kollar, but he may need another year or two to have enough talent....
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

haterinthehouse

its just so good to hear that they finally have a coach so involved

CoachM

Know this is the men's board, but since the SLIAC women's board rarely is visited thought I'd place this here too. Principia just announces that they will not field a women's basketball team this year. Nothing like waiting this late after conference schedule is posted to make that announcement.

hopefan

Quote from: CoachM on September 16, 2016, 03:31:48 PM
Know this is the men's board, but since the SLIAC women's board rarely is visited thought I'd place this here too. Principia just announces that they will not field a women's basketball team this year. Nothing like waiting this late after conference schedule is posted to make that announcement.

Had heard that might happen.. what a mess... darned shame... though I do feel bad for the 4 or 5 ladies returning from last year who were looking forward to playing... and each SLIAC team loses 2 games... will be tough to find replacement opponents....

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: hopefan on September 16, 2016, 08:11:18 PM

Had heard that might happen.. what a mess... darned shame... though I do feel bad for the 4 or 5 ladies returning from last year who were looking forward to playing... and each SLIAC team loses 2 games... will be tough to find replacement opponents....

Was it too small a roster to safely play, or something else?  I suppose they can be forgiven for cancelling so late IF they were expecting players who just didn't show up in the fall term.  Otherwise, a bush-league move, causing great inconvenience to everyone on their schedule.

hopefan

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 16, 2016, 08:25:44 PM

Was it too small a roster to safely play, or something else?  I suppose they can be forgiven for cancelling so late IF they were expecting players who just didn't show up in the fall term.  Otherwise, a bush-league move, causing great inconvenience to everyone on their schedule.

Best guess too small of a roster... they played with 6 most of last season, the coach did not return, and no replacement has been listed... in theory, students must belong to the church (Christian Science), so recruiting is extremely limited.... men's team has the same problem, dressing 7,8, 9 at the most, but they currently have 3 or 4 talented players and are usually competitive vs SLIAC competition.  The ladies were not very good, and their one real athlete from last year graduated.

Gregory Sager

I realize that the fact that Principia is a school that only admits Christian Science adherents makes their athletic recruiting an extremely difficult proposition. But the women's basketball coach announced her resignation all the way back on March 2. The school didn't announce the termination of the program until today. Given that huge time lag, I'm with Chuck that this seems to be a case in which Principia did a disservice to the other SLIAC schools. If the Principia administration wasn't able to find a new head coach by the end of the 2015-16 school year it should've just folded the tent then and there with regard to women's basketball, because a new hire over the summer would've had the slimmest of chances to fill out an incomplete returning roster to a minimally healthy level via whatever emergency last-minute recruiting measures he or she could've possibly taken. Had Principia announced in May that it was discontinuing women's basketball it would've still given the other SLIAC programs time to seek out the St. Louis Pharmacy / Lincoln Christian / Logan Chiropractic / RMU-Springfield kinds of outfits that are usually open to last-minute scheduling agreements.
"To see what is in front of one's nose is a constant struggle." -- George Orwell

CoachM

I believe Prin did the same thing with football several years ago announcing in August that the program would be discontinued. Have heard scuttlebutt that Prin is considering a move to club status for a number of their sports. Not very thrilled with their latest shenanigans.....

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Sadly, not even the closest to the latest announcement I have heard even in recent history. About three or four years ago, Bryn Mawr told the Centennial Conference that they were only going to play one of the two round-robin, regular-season games most likely the traveling game for Bryn Mawr. The games would also then not count for conference play. The announcement was made two pr three weeks before the season started - not practice - actual season.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

lmitzel

Quote from: hopefan on September 16, 2016, 08:41:15 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on September 16, 2016, 08:25:44 PM

Best guess too small of a roster... they played with 6 most of last season, the coach did not return, and no replacement has been listed... in theory, students must belong to the church (Christian Science), so recruiting is extremely limited.... men's team has the same problem, dressing 7,8, 9 at the most, but they currently have 3 or 4 talented players and are usually competitive vs SLIAC competition.  The ladies were not very good, and their one real athlete from last year graduated.

I worked a couple of their games when they played at North Central for the Tip Off Tournament last year. Facing The System in Game 1 before going up against a then-ranked Bethel team went about as well as you'd expect those two games to go, though not quite to the level of the legendary Hope vs College of Faith game that I will one day tell my grandchildren about and when they say I'm full of it, show them the picture I took of the scoreboard to prove that I wasn't delusional announcing that game.

Was going to comment about how I felt bad for the school having to cancel, but having read through this thread and seeing the shenanigans that were pulled, maybe I don't feel so bad anymore...
Official D-III Championship BeltTM Cartographer
2022 CCIW Football Pick 'Em Co-Champion
#THREEEEEEEEE

WUPHF

Principia added beach volleyball!

I did not even realize that was a college sport, but I guess that 2016 was the inaugural year.

I think it is time we bring in college bass fishing under the NCAA umbrella.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUH on September 19, 2016, 02:34:44 PM
Principia added beach volleyball!

I did not even realize that was a college sport, but I guess that 2016 was the inaugural year.

I think it is time we bring in college bass fishing under the NCAA umbrella.

Yes, beach volleyball was approved in January 2015 and last year was the inaugural season. Thus the Elite 89 award was changed to the Elite 90 :)

Sadly, bass fishing I do not believe is on the exploratory list. Equestrian, which I think more colleges have than bass fishing, was on the list for an extended period of time. However, it was removed in January 2015 or 2016 at the National Convention. I do not think any sports are close to being added at this time.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Thanks Dave!  I love arguably useless trivia and appreciate you sharing...

I love useless trivia so much that I looked to see if any Division III colleges were participating in Bass fishing.  It looks like UW-Whitewater is one of the premier programs along with Platteville.  Lacrosse and Adrian are on there, but I did not see a lot that I recognized.

According to the Wikipedia page, college bass fishing is funded heavily by sponsors, so...

Pat Coleman

Quote from: WUH on September 19, 2016, 06:00:37 PM
Thanks Dave!  I love arguably useless trivia and appreciate you sharing...

I love useless trivia so much that I looked to see if any Division III colleges were participating in Bass fishing.  It looks like UW-Whitewater is one of the premier programs along with Platteville.  Lacrosse and Adrian are on there, but I did not see a lot that I recognized.

According to the Wikipedia page, college bass fishing is funded heavily by sponsors, so...

There's a bass fishing team at a SLIAC school, in fact:
http://athletics.greenville.edu/sports/fishing/index
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.