FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnie Red

Duffman, too bad that OAS could not make it down to Belle Plaine Saturday afternoon for the St. Patrick's Day celebration. There was a reporter there from Fox9 that covered the event and the parade, including a special emphasis on the Fahey clan. Always a great town to be in for events like this.

faunch

Quote from: DuffMan on March 16, 2015, 08:39:13 AM
I saw OAS on the Fox9 morning show this past Saturday hyping the St. Patty's Day festivities in St. Paul.   :o

Let me take a minute to sort this out.
http://paddynotpatty.com/   ;)

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

OzJohnnie

Quote from: HSCTiger74 on March 16, 2015, 11:23:56 AM
Quote from: OzJohnnie on March 15, 2015, 10:26:29 PM
Three weeks today and Hawthorn open their 2015 season with an Easter Monday (or is it Holy Monday?  I can't remember) match at the MCG against Geelong.  My parents will be here visiting and ready to go. Numbers 1 and 2 will have their Hawks gear and be charged for the day. Number three will have her Cats scarf and is primed to cheer. And Mrs Oz will be saying, "Isn't the season finished yet?"

The season launch promotional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdLcUojNnsU
RdLcUojNnsU

Oz, what ever happened with the Essendon PED scandal? Did the league bring the hammer down or did the Bombers slip out of it with a slap on the wrist?

The hearing of evidence finished about a month ago and the tribunal have been locked up ever since. They are expected to announce their judgement in the next week or two. The football press seem convinced that the 34 players under investigation will receive only six month suspensions because they are all such great guys. The press has consistently misread this situation though because, I think, they are all too tight with football and also don't know anything about which they write. I don't think any of them have downloaded the WADA regulations which have side text describing this exact situation and it doesn't look good for the players. Each contest in violation is an infraction. Three infractions is a lifetime ban. The Essendon players participated in at least 25 contests while the program was in place. It looks to me from the plain reading of the examples WADA provide that these players are looking at a Lance Armstrong.  (Although 25 violations may be counted as one aggravated violation if they all occurred before the first violation warning. I'm surprised the papers haven't published contrasting legal opinions on the case for the closet litigators. Would be good reading.)

I expect the suing and lawyering will go on for many more years.

EDIT: Unlike the major American sports which still regulate themselves on PED usage, the AFL joined the World Anti-Doping Agency framework the year before Essendon was caught. There were a few advantages in regards to access to govt funds (aren't there always) which led to the ill-timed switch. So now AFL is run by the same PED rules as biking, the Olympics, track and field, etc. And it's a prove you're innocent framework. All that the Australian doping agency needs to prove to a comfortable satisfaction that a violation could have occurred. No reasonable doubt burden. No smoking gun of actual consumption required. Once that burden is met then the athlete must prove to a balance of probability burden that despite the opportunity they did not partake. Difficult.

The press gets this so wrong because all anyone knows is the burden of criminal convictions (thanks LA Law) but this is a civil matter. It's the argument that eventually got Lance Armstrong. Even though there was no evidence he actually took anything there was a whole system designed to enable him and cover it up. Good enough. At Essendon there are actual records of treatment, although the injected compound is not certain. But a system was in place to enable and cover up. I reckon the players are banned for life and the tribunal (retired judges) is being super certain about every statement because there will being suing for years in this. The players argu for leniency because they are young and the club pressured them. The wada regulations clearly say (with even a specific example of a scenario like this): too bad. Essendon may be sued out of existence by the players. And the club will be working to show the players weren't patsies after all.  Ugly all around.
[  

57Johnnie

Ran into a young lass at the supermarket today wearing a CSB/SJU T shirt. Asked if she was a Bennie but she said her sister applied but not started yet. Not many of us elite in this part of the country  ;)

St. Paddy's was a big blast when I was at the old school 

The older the violin - the sweeter the music!

OzJohnnie

Quote from: 57Johnnie on March 17, 2015, 03:41:35 PM
Ran into a young lass at the supermarket today wearing a CSB/SJU T shirt. Asked if she was a Bennie but she said her sister applied but not started yet. Not many of us elite in this part of the country  ;)

I did that same thing down here in Melbourne once and the girls looked at me like I was a deranged sexual predator.
[  

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: OzJohnnie on March 17, 2015, 03:54:01 PM
Quote from: 57Johnnie on March 17, 2015, 03:41:35 PM

I did that same thing down here in Melbourne once and the girls looked at me like I was a deranged sexual predator.

Very perceptive young lady. ;D

SUMMIT!!!!!

an amazing era ends----http://www.gojohnnies.com/news/2015/3/17/BASKETBALL_0317151333.aspx?path=mbball

SJU was a bottom feeder when Jim took over....he built a solid, successful program and maintained that level of excellence for decade upon decade
After the game, the king and pawn go into the same box.

Italian proverb

OzJohnnie

Because it's the off season and it's been a while, here are two of my favourite TV ads:

Why did they build the Great Wall of China?  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvlWQyvEI38

Australia Day: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0mr-USVEcMI

And just because I came across it, the Aussie version of I've Been Everywhere, Man: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20oqyMVbss0
[  

DuffMan

First, Gagliardi.  Now, Smith.  111 years of head coaching experience at SJU.  That's just plain unreal.

A tradition unrivaled...
MIAC Champions: 1932, 1935, 1936, 1938, 1953, 1962, 1963, 1965, 1971, 1974, 1975, 1976, 1977, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1993, 1994, 1995, 1996, 1998, 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2021, 2022
National Champions: 1963, 1965, 1976, 2003

OzJohnnie

The parents Oz arrived in Melbourne this morning for a six week visit.  Footy, cricket, kids. It should be on for young and old in a great visit.
[  

OzJohnnie

The Hawks played a near full-strength side (missing only 4 players from last year's Premiership side, three of whom I wouldn't be surprised to see have been beaten for their position as the 'replacement' players were superb last night) in their last pre-season match (against St Kilda) and it was an 106 point slaughter. The Hawks looked so strong. They were hard at the ball in the contest, throwing their bodies in like it was a playoff game, fast and decisive. And they played out hard to the final siren. It was an ominous contest for the rest of the competition as Hawthorn start their campaign to be only the second team in the last 60 years to three-peat.

"They made us look like kids at times, the way they brushed us off when we tried to tackle and the way they applied pressure," said Saints coach Alan Richardson.

"There's a lot of talk about how effective Hawthorn are with the footy - and that is true - but their physicality and the way they play in the contest is just outstanding.

"We all saw that in the grand final and we copped that again (last night)."

And the highlights from last night's game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8jT-zy6B7M

Two plays in particular really highlight the speed and playmaking Hawthorn will present this year at 1:11 and 2:18. A smothering defence with a blistering counterattack will be really hard for opposition teams to deal with.
[  

OldAuggie

MIAC champions 1928, 1997

BDB

Anyone notice the Concordia Cobber guy in the Enterprise Rent A Car ad that is running during the NCAA tourney games?  8-)

sjusection105

Yes I have BDB- Cobbers represent....

Last night we got together with some friends who live in the St. Cloud area and my friend Mark pulled out a growler of Beaver Island Brewing Ripple.
I was impressed with this relatively new local brew.
http://beaverislandbrew.com/site/brews/
As of now they're on DOUBLE SECRET Probation!

OzJohnnie

My parents put me onto an Amazon exclusive TV series, Bosch, which is based the Harry Bosch novels by Michael Connelly. I've watch two episodes and it's pretty good.  True enough to the character for me to enjoy it and true to the story as well.  The story is following the book City of Bones and from what I remember is dead on the story.  Makes me want to go back and read it again.
[